plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hi All,
Here is my situation -
Became PR: 1 Nov 2010
Moved to Canada: 1 Feb 2012
Eligible to apply: 1 Feb 2015

Now in the Residency calculator, I am asked to feed in absences within the 4 year period.
And I was working in my home country for the initial 1 out 4 years.
- and my questions are:

1. Residency calculator allows for max 400 characters for listing absences - How detailed should my explanation be to list my one year absence while working in my home country?
2. While working in my home country, I was self-employed and had consistent monthly invoices & payments. What is the best way to prove this such that it does raise doubts or flags?

Thanks
Plus

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
plus said:
Hi All,
Here is my situation -

Now in the Residency calculator, I am asked to feed in absences within the 4 year period.
- and my questions are:

1. Residency calculator allows for max 400 characters for listing absences - How detailed should my explanation be to list my one year absence while working in my home country?
2. While working in my home country, I was self-employed and had consistent monthly invoices & payments. What is the best way to prove this such that it does raise doubts or flags?

Thanks
Plus
Just a question that comes to my mind... Did you file tax for the year and a half you worked in your country of origin? Did you declare your income?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
plus said:
Hi All,
Here is my situation -

- and my questions are:

Thanks
Plus

Try to be detailed till 400 characters only by stating that you were in your home country for such and such reason and doing this and also mention if you accompanied by your spouse etc.

If you have tax returns filed then you can use that to show your employment proof outside canada. However, work records, tax returns etc does not need to sent unless RQ is issued

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
I was working in my country of origin - what else could I state besides this?
Yes I do have my tax returns and other information and my spouse was with me but can you guide me more on the reason I state in 400 characters?

Thanks
Plus

thecoolguysam said:
Try to be detailed till 400 characters only by stating that you were in your home country for such and such reason and doing this and also mention if you accompanied by your spouse etc.

If you have tax returns filed then you can use that to show your employment proof outside canada. However, work records, tax returns etc does not need to sent unless RQ is issued

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
plus said:
I was working in my country of origin - what else could I state besides this?
Yes I do have my tax returns and other information and my spouse was with me but can you guide me more on the reason I state in 400 characters?

Thanks
Plus
Plus,

What I've done in my application is I attached a separate sheet of paper explaining why I was absent/where/when/for what reasons etc. I then stapled it to the residency calculation print-out.

Hope it helps,

cheers

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
OrangeCup said:
Plus,

What I've done in my application is I attached a separate sheet of paper explaining why I was absent/where/when/for what reasons etc. I then stapled it to the residency calculation print-out.

Hope it helps,

cheers
I second that opinion.

laxmikanthms

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto,Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-07-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-02-2010
AOR Received.
June-14-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done
File Transfer...
Feb-10-2010
Med's Request
Nov-01-2010
Med's Done....
Dec-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-13-2011
LANDED..........
May-07-2010 (Before PR Approval on Workpermit)
Tell them you became PR on so and so date and went back to your home country to windup your business or settle things there and then from 2012 you are here continuosly working and send the tax NOAs from 2012 to till date.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
yes Goldline,
I did declare my income in my country of origin.
Why? does it matter?

Thanks
Plus
Goldline said:
Just a question that comes to my mind... Did you file tax for the year and a half you worked in your country of origin? Did you declare your income?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
plus said:
Hi All,
Here is my situation -

- and my questions are:

Thanks
Plus
To reiterate what I have said elsewhere (with the emphatic caveat that I am NO expert and I am not qualified to give personal advice), there is no need to go into a lot of detail in the reasons.

For the from - to column entry regarding 2010 to February 2012, it should suffice to simply state that you remained in your home country preparing for the move to Canada. In address history accurately list your addresses for that period (well, and for all four years actually), and for work history list yourself as self-employed for that period you were self-employed.

Last I looked at the application, you do not need to submit any proof of employment with it. If you are later asked to submit proof of employment, you could go light on proof of employment for periods you declare you were outside Canada since it is highly unlikely CIC is concerned about those time periods let alone in a posture to challenge you about it . . . CIC will focus far more on the proof of place of abode and employment in Canada for any time period you claim to have been in Canada.

I understand the desire to approach the application in a way that will avoid raising any flags. In some sense I did that. But overall this is generally like shooting at an unspecified target in the dark while you are blindfolded and wearing ear plugs after being spun around a few times.

What matters most are the basic facts. They either work for you or they do not. Follow the instructions. Be complete. Be accurate. Triple check everything, especially numbers and dates. That's what works best for those who are qualified.

By the way: the delayed return to Canada to actually settle in Canada is very, very common. There is nothing the least bit unusual about your timeline for actually settling in Canada. CIC sees that pattern a lot, a real lot. The fact that you remained in your home country working for a year or so after becoming a PR should not raise any concerns in itself.

applicant314

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
dpenabill said:
there is no need to go into a lot of detail in the reasons.
This is true. However, it doesn't hurt, either. (As long as it's straight to the point, of course).
I included significantly more information in letter form, than the application asked for in both my PR and my RQ. I found this very effective to illustrate my case, if it differed from the answers the forms were asking for. In both cases, my application was processed in less than 30% of the stated processing time.