+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency application as a common law couple, that separate mid application?

rglobbo

Oct 22, 2018
Hi all,
I have a little query about residency application.

My self and my common law partner are in the process - awaiting our application to be processed (so hopefully approved sooooon).

We applied with her as the primary applicant and my self as her partner on her application.

Unfortunately as a couple we have been having some issues over the last few months. While I'm still hopeful that we are going to get over these issues - I thought it might be sensible to do a little research before we make any decisions.

Naturally if we chose to separate we should inform immigration.
-Would this stop her application or just mine? Would she be required to start again the process from scratch?

If we didnt inform immigration is there a way they would actually know? For example if we seprated for a couple of months (living separately) is there any way they would actually know? I guess what I'm asking is after you have submitted all your documents are they actively checking up on things?

As I say I'm hopefully this isnt going to be something we need to worry about. I just want to understand the full situation!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I have a little query about residency application.

My self and my common law partner are in the process - awaiting our application to be processed (so hopefully approved sooooon).

We applied with her as the primary applicant and my self as her partner on her application.

Unfortunately as a couple we have been having some issues over the last few months. While I'm still hopeful that we are going to get over these issues - I thought it might be sensible to do a little research before we make any decisions.

Naturally if we chose to separate we should inform immigration.
-Would this stop her application or just mine? Would she be required to start again the process from scratch?

If we didnt inform immigration is there a way they would actually know? For example if we seprated for a couple of months (living separately) is there any way they would actually know? I guess what I'm asking is after you have submitted all your documents are they actively checking up on things?

As I say I'm hopefully this isnt going to be something we need to worry about. I just want to understand the full situation!
Hi

As she is the PA, you would be removed from the app and it would continue to process without you.

If you land as a PR knowing that the relationship is over, it is misrepresentation, akin to a Marriage of Convenience. While IRCC does not actively check, it doesn't mean they won't find out eventually. I recall a case on the forum of a person who applied for Canadian citizenship and came under suspicion when IRCC saw they divorced right after landing.

rglobbo

Oct 22, 2018
thanks for the reply!
we are already living here if it makes any difference to anything.

Out of interest in the post you mentioned how did IRCC see they got a divorce?

Presumably we would inform IRCC if we decided to separate and her application would just continue - she wouldnt need to resubmit a new one or anything?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks for the reply!
we are already living here if it makes any difference to anything.

Out of interest in the post you mentioned how did IRCC see they got a divorce?

Presumably we would inform IRCC if we decided to separate and her application would just continue - she wouldnt need to resubmit a new one or anything?
No difference.

I don't recall the specifics. I will try to find the thread tomorrow.

No, she wouldn't need to submit a new app.