+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency and Tax Residency

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

If i fly to Canada in June and live there but do not work, will the time spent count towards my two years if I remain resident for tax purposes in the UK?

Thanks
Robert

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

If i fly to Canada in June and live there but do not work, will the time spent count towards my two years if I remain resident for tax purposes in the UK?

Thanks
Robert
If you are asking if it will count for the PR residency requirement, yes.

Note that despite not working here, you could still be considered a tax resident.

Reactions: Berty3000

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks Canuck.

What if I have worked for six months in the UK (Jan to June 2020, so six months of Canadian tax year)?

Who do i have to prove this stuff to and how? Wouldn't the UK also have a claim on me being their resident for tax purposes? Although only two or three months working in the new UK financial year. Confusing that the two countries are not aligned for tax years!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck.

What if I have worked for six months in the UK (Jan to June 2020, so six months of Canadian tax year)?

Who do i have to prove this stuff to and how? Wouldn't the UK also have a claim on me being their resident for tax purposes? Although only two or three months working in the new UK financial year. Confusing that the two countries are not aligned for tax years!
For CRA, you can submit a residency determination. Don't know for the UK.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Can i just check - i went to canada in 2017 for two months to do a soft landing and get my PR card. I spent the remainder of the year working and living in the uk. I didn't get a Canadian driving licence or open a bank account or work there.

A) should i have done a Canadian tax return for that year.
B) will the two months have counted towards my residency obligations?
C) are tax residency and residency for PR obligations purposes separate things?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can i just check - i went to canada in 2017 for two months to do a soft landing and get my PR card. I spent the remainder of the year working and living in the uk. I didn't get a Canadian driving licence or open a bank account or work there.

A) should i have done a Canadian tax return for that year.
B) will the two months have counted towards my residency obligations?
C) are tax residency and residency for PR obligations purposes separate things?

Thanks
B) Depends on the day you renew your application for PR card renewal.
C) Yes, separate things - 2 different government agencies.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Steaky, how so in relation to B)? I was there for two months so why wouldn't that count towards my 2 out of 5 years?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Steaky, how so in relation to B)? I was there for two months so why wouldn't that count towards my 2 out of 5 years?
For example, you landed on 1 Jan, 2017, stayed for 2 months and left Canada on 2 March 2017. You came back to Canada some time afterwards, but for some reasons you signed your application to renew your PR card on 1 Dec 2023! Then the period from Jan to 2 March 2017 cannot be counted.

flame_twilight

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hello. This thread confused me. In my case, I stay in Canada in June 2019 for only 2 weeks then left until I came back in Feb 2020. Do I have to file tax 2019? Thank you.