+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resettlement of PR holder expecting baby

Ask_Buddha

Jan 7, 2019
Hi,

I, along with my wife and daughter, are PR holder. Did soft landing in Dec 2019, stayed for 20 days and since Jan 2020 we are in India. We have our PR cards.
Now we are expecting our second child in Feb 2023.we are planning to move back to Canada for good. Moreover, earliest we can move is mid-September 2022.

My doubts:
  1. Would we have enough time to get medical coverage to cover expenses of child’s delivery? If yes, are there any other out-of-pocket delivery/hospital expenses not covered under such coverage?
  2. Would it be possible for my wife to get a job? Is it advisable to take a job for such duration and in such situation?
  3. Would my first born be able to get school admissions, considering I plan to move in an around mississauga/ brampton? She will be 5 years old in Oct 2022.
Also, it is evident that I cannot plan for my child to be born in India as then we won’t be eligible to apply for PR renewal.
Hence, require help and guidance from the members.
TIA.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. For Ontario, right now you can get OHIP coverage right away. But this was/is a temporary measure during covid, unclear if it will be cancelled and revert to the 3-month waiting period. Note that getting set up with doctors is a serious issue in Ontario, I've no idea how that would work with pregnancy and expecting.

2. Entirely personal choice.

3. Yes, but - no idea how long it might take at that age after arriving. You can look around and see. First thing would be to determine if she would be expected to be in kindergarten (I shoudl think but don't know). Honestly you may also wish to plan upon a private school or something similar (day care) for a period of a month or four, if you can afford. (At least as a backup)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No issue with getting your child into school. You should plan as if the 3 month wait period to receive Ohip will return and you’ll need to pay for the cost of prenatal care and delivery if you happen to deliver early. Nobody knows when the 3 month wait period for ohip will return but it will return at a certain point.

Ask_Buddha

Jan 7, 2019
No issue with getting your child into school. You should plan as if the 3 month wait period to receive Ohip will return and you’ll need to pay for the cost of prenatal care and delivery if you happen to deliver early. Nobody knows when the 3 month wait period for ohip will return but it will return at a certain point.
Thank you for the reply.
I understand that the school session starts early September. In case I arrive by mid-September, when is earliest my child can go to school (considering all the formalities involved- pls elaborate on that too)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply.
I understand that the school session starts early September. In case I arrive by mid-September, when is earliest my child can go to school (considering all the formalities involved- pls elaborate on that too)?
They can start once you have proof of where you will be living permanently. You will need proof of what catchment area you are part of so if you are renting you would bring your lease to the school to enrol your child. If you have not moved in yet you can still enrol your child and then move in when your child is already attending school.