+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research assistant while enrolled in full time graduate in Canada

xiaolei

Apr 12, 2014
Please help!

According to
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

I can count the work experience under FSW, but while I am entering the pool, the experience does not count!!

How can I do??????

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
xiaolei said:
Please help!

According to
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

I can count the work experience under FSW, but while I am entering the pool, the experience does not count!!
You cannot. FSW assumes the experience is "foreign", i.e. outside of Canada. If you are studying in Canada, the work experience will not count for any program.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
jes_ON said:
You cannot. FSW assumes the experience is "foreign", i.e. outside of Canada. If you are studying in Canada, the work experience will not count for any program.
Hi Jes, can we count the Canadian experience more than 5 years old in last ten years for FSW or its down the drain if someone didn't use it in 3 years preceding the application?

xiaolei

Apr 12, 2014
jes_ON said:
The website only says that it doesn't count in CEC.....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xiaolei said:
The website only says that it doesn't count in CEC.....
You can't count it towards FSW either.

Encore

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
This topic will always appear. And its not anybody's fault. I particularly think CIC needs to rework that policy because most times, you cannot be a TA/RA without being a student. Many cases, these positions require that the holder be enrolled at the institution. So, if students are not doing that job, who will do it? And yet they cannot count it as work experience? I dont get it personally. But, it is what it is. At this point, they do not accept it and there is nothing anyone can do.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
SecularFirst said:
Hi Jes, can we count the Canadian experience more than 5 years old in last ten years for FSW or its down the drain if someone didn't use it in 3 years preceding the application?
The CRS allows for Canadian work experience of 5 more years. So for the EE CRS, I believe you can use Canadian experience in the past 10 years (as long as you were on a work permit, not a student permit).

I don't know if it will contribute to your FSW score for work experience (under the 6 selection factors). But it will not contribute to eligibility for the CEC program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp#a1

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
I was a full-time masters student in Canada for 2 years during which i was working as research assistant. Should I put that as part time job or full time job? how many hours is suitable?

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
I was a full-time masters student in Canada for 2 years during which i was working as research assistant. Should I put that as part time job or full time job? how many hours is suitable?
It will be a part-time job. However, it won't give you points if you were on study permit when working.

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
I applied with 4 years TA experience under FSW and my eligibility is recommended pass. I am pretty sure that the one with foreign masters or PhD can claim points for their TA or RA. However, you should get a detailed reference letter from your supervisor indicating all your duties and responsibilities that must be matched with NOC 4012.

Reactions: ptxiajun

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
According to IRCC, to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.
In other words, you cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit. Good Luck!

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.
In other words, you cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit. Good Luck!
For Canadian TA/RA experiences gained under study permit:

(1) I agree with you that it won't count under the CEC program in any way.

(2) It could be used to qualify for the one-year work experience requirement under FSW. However, it won't count as work experience in CRS and can not give OP CRS points.

Reactions: aralizadegan