+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling the Oath?

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hi,
My brother received Oath notice for 11th Jan. But he is in India undergoing small surgery and in recovery now. He has return flight o 22nd Jan.
Wanted to know from people who have postponed the Oath in last few months, when did they invited back, how long it took?
Please share your experience.

MelVan

Star Member
Aug 2, 2022
Hi,
My brother received Oath notice for 11th Jan. But he is in India undergoing small surgery and in recovery now. He has return flight o 22nd Jan.
Wanted to know from people who have postponed the Oath in last few months, when did they invited back, how long it took?
Please share your experience.
There is no mandated time for IRCC to reschedule an oath. If you search this forum, you will find that rescheduling can result in oath delays of a couple of weeks or stretching out to months.

I had to reschedule my oath as I was abroad for a family funeral. I was not rescheduled for 4 months.

Remember that you have to show cause you have a reasonable excuse for rescheduling an oath, but being overseas for surgery probably falls into the reasonable excuse category. Also, if rescheduling the oath results in a "final notice to appear" (which it sometimes can), then that oath date cannot be missed.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
There is no mandated time for IRCC to reschedule an oath. If you search this forum, you will find that rescheduling can result in oath delays of a couple of weeks or stretching out to months.

I had to reschedule my oath as I was abroad for a family funeral. I was not rescheduled for 4 months.

Remember that you have to show cause you have a reasonable excuse for rescheduling an oath, but being overseas for surgery probably falls into the reasonable excuse category. Also, if rescheduling the oath results in a "final notice to appear" (which it sometimes can), then that oath date cannot be missed.
@MelVan He sent email to reschedule and got reply that Oath is cancelled and new date will be notified via email. As per the email the office is only responsible for Oaths and does not do the scheduling. Also, his tracker updated on the day he received reply. Yet to see what is the update.

quang940805

Jun 27, 2018
My case is lucky, but again, its all depends on the office processing the application (mine is Vancouver ).I originally got the oath on Dec 12,2023 but i was outside Canada at that time. I let them know that I will be returning to Canada on Jan 02,2024 and on the same date I returned to Canada, i email to let them know that i already came back along with my boarding pass. 2 days later ( Jan 04) i got an invitation email for the Oath scheduled on Jan 12,2024. Kinda speedy!!!

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
My case is lucky, but again, its all depends on the office processing the application (mine is Vancouver ).I originally got the oath on Dec 12,2023 but i was outside Canada at that time. I let them know that I will be returning to Canada on Jan 02,2024 and on the same date I returned to Canada, i email to let them know that i already came back along with my boarding pass. 2 days later ( Jan 04) i got an invitation email for the Oath scheduled on Jan 12,2024. Kinda speedy!!!
lucky you...

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Which email did you use. I have my oath tomorrow and i'm outisde canada.
I sent them an email to the one that hey give me in the invitation letter but only got an automated response.

donsyete

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Philippines
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-22-2019
AOR Received.
05-22-2019
IELTS Request
03-31-2019
Med's Done....
06-05-2019
Passport Req..
22-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2019
LANDED..........
29-01-2020
@MelVan He sent email to reschedule and got reply that Oath is cancelled and new date will be notified via email. As per the email the office is only responsible for Oaths and does not do the scheduling. Also, his tracker updated on the day he received reply. Yet to see what is the update.
I also requested oath reschedule but it was to convert from virtual to in-person. Vancouver office sent me oath letter invite on Jan 22 for Jan29 ceremony and I immediately responded back to request in=person oath. They responded after only 2 hrs (Jan 22) telling me they have cancelled the Jan29 oath date for me and placed my file in queue for the next available in-person oath ceremony along with my wife.

Today (Jan 24) I got ghost update on my tracker. Not sure if it is related but my tracker still shows the original oath date of Jan 29. I am hoping to get updates for a new oath soon.

Please let us know if there is any update on your brother's new oath date as well. Would really appreciate it.

Reactions: Mitya-kun

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I also requested oath reschedule but it was to convert from virtual to in-person. Vancouver office sent me oath letter invite on Jan 22 for Jan29 ceremony and I immediately responded back to request in=person oath. They responded after only 2 hrs (Jan 22) telling me they have cancelled the Jan29 oath date for me and placed my file in queue for the next available in-person oath ceremony along with my wife.

Today (Jan 24) I got ghost update on my tracker. Not sure if it is related but my tracker still shows the original oath date of Jan 29. I am hoping to get updates for a new oath soon.

Please let us know if there is any update on your brother's new oath date as well. Would really appreciate it.
I received virtual Oath Notice, which I wanted to change to another date since I was outside of Canada. I saw the ghost update same day they replied, then again few days back. But no emails from them so far. I replied them with my boarding pass upon returning, still no reply. Not sure what is going on

donsyete

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Philippines
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-22-2019
AOR Received.
05-22-2019
IELTS Request
03-31-2019
Med's Done....
06-05-2019
Passport Req..
22-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2019
LANDED..........
29-01-2020
I received virtual Oath Notice, which I wanted to change to another date since I was outside of Canada. I saw the ghost update same day they replied, then again few days back. But no emails from them so far. I replied them with my boarding pass upon returning, still no reply. Not sure what is going on
How long has it been since you submitted your proof of return? Did you send it to the same email address that sent you the oath notice?
Also, which office is this?

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
How long has it been since you submitted your proof of return? Did you send it to the same email address that sent you the oath notice?
Also, which office is this?
Its almost a week. I sent with multiple email addresses too, but no reply, not even auto email reply.
Yes I sent it to same email address mentioned in Oath notice.
Mississauga.

donsyete

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Philippines
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-22-2019
AOR Received.
05-22-2019
IELTS Request
03-31-2019
Med's Done....
06-05-2019
Passport Req..
22-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2019
LANDED..........
29-01-2020
Its almost a week. I sent with multiple email addresses too, but no reply, not even auto email reply.
Yes I sent it to same email address mentioned in Oath notice.
Mississauga.
Yeah i think this is one of the lacking services that IRCC should improve on. I understand there are hundreds or thousands of people sending emails, but I believe there is still a way to streamline getting updates or responses to query especially when it involves things that you need immediate information on that are not available from your tracker or anywhere online.

One perfect example is inquiring for oath dates. The oath dates are not updated until they are close to your event and even the oath letters get sent to the email a couple days before the actual event for most people. And for rescheduling, there are various circumstances why people would resort to reschedule their event and it happens. So it should not be blamed on applicants but applicants should at least should be able to receive proper response from an actual inquiry and not just an generic automated response or sometimes they dont even respond.

I think one way to also avoid any rescheduling is to have 1 minor step in the process such as sending a YES/NO question in the tracker when LPP is completed asking if they are available to participate in any oath event in the next 4 weeks or so. This way, IRCC or the local ceremony office would not need to scheduling them right away and prevent double handling of cases. If clicked Yes, the oath schedule will be assigned as usual for any date. If no, then a valid reason should be asked. This way, the scheduling officer does not have to assign a date for those who dont want to attend an oath soon, making way for more slots to other applicants but at the same time there is no more rescheduling but they only need to assign 1 date for the applicant.

gohabsg0

Jan 26, 2024
Category........
Other
Yeah i think this is one of the lacking services that IRCC should improve on. I understand there are hundreds or thousands of people sending emails, but I believe there is still a way to streamline getting updates or responses to query especially when it involves things that you need immediate information on that are not available from your tracker or anywhere online.

One perfect example is inquiring for oath dates. The oath dates are not updated until they are close to your event and even the oath letters get sent to the email a couple days before the actual event for most people. And for rescheduling, there are various circumstances why people would resort to reschedule their event and it happens. So it should not be blamed on applicants but applicants should at least should be able to receive proper response from an actual inquiry and not just an generic automated response or sometimes they dont even respond.

I think one way to also avoid any rescheduling is to have 1 minor step in the process such as sending a YES/NO question in the tracker when LPP is completed asking if they are available to participate in any oath event in the next 4 weeks or so. This way, IRCC or the local ceremony office would not need to scheduling them right away and prevent double handling of cases. If clicked Yes, the oath schedule will be assigned as usual for any date. If no, then a valid reason should be asked. This way, the scheduling officer does not have to assign a date for those who dont want to attend an oath soon, making way for more slots to other applicants but at the same time there is no more rescheduling but they only need to assign 1 date for the applicant.
I wouldn't have taken the risk to reschedule it as IRCC is very unpredictable. Some take days, some take months to reschedule their oaths. It's all luck-based at this point.

donsyete

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Philippines
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-22-2019
AOR Received.
05-22-2019
IELTS Request
03-31-2019
Med's Done....
06-05-2019
Passport Req..
22-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2019
LANDED..........
29-01-2020
I wouldn't have taken the risk to reschedule it as IRCC is very unpredictable. Some take days, some take months to reschedule their oaths. It's all luck-based at this point.
You are right. It is so random with no proper system or clear visible timeline. Some people have really valid reasons and re-sheduling is unavoidable. Of course, as much as possible, we would go with the original date so not to cause further delay.

However, there is a need for IRCC to further improve their processing of files. For example, it is not acceptable that alot of files that were backlogged are still not being approved whereas, those who applied only last October to December 2023 have already gotten their oath ceremony and certificates. The process is not properly streamlined. I hope with the new minister there is an intention to do a proper review of the overall processing process.

gohabsg0

Jan 26, 2024
Category........
Other
You are right. It is so random with no proper system or clear visible timeline. Some people have really valid reasons and re-sheduling is unavoidable. Of course, as much as possible, we would go with the original date so not to cause further delay.

However, there is a need for IRCC to further improve their processing of files. For example, it is not acceptable that alot of files that were backlogged are still not being approved whereas, those who applied only last October to December 2023 have already gotten their oath ceremony and certificates. The process is not properly streamlined. I hope with the new minister there is an intention to do a proper review of the overall processing process.
I understand your frustration. Hope they get back to you soon and give you a new date!

donsyete

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Philippines
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-22-2019
AOR Received.
05-22-2019
IELTS Request
03-31-2019
Med's Done....
06-05-2019
Passport Req..
22-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2019
LANDED..........
29-01-2020
I understand your frustration. Hope they get back to you soon and give you a new date!
Thank you so much! Hope everyone else still waiting on their files get some positive updates starting next week.