+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling Oath ceremony

rampantbull

Jan 8, 2021
Does anyone here rescheduled their oath ceremony?
Mine was supposed to be on November 2nd but the location was in Ontario. I have moved to BC since last year and updated my address accordingly.

I sent an email to get an online ceremony or a location change as soon as received the invitation but it’s been a month now and I haven’t heard anything back.

Wondering what the timeline is on cases like these.

doiena

Dec 10, 2021
Sorry to hear your story.

Many people have mentioned that "NOTICE TO APPEAR" on Citizenship ceremony is NOT an invitation. The applicant MUST attend that ceremony to get your citizenship. Unless you have a valid reason of not being able to attend, IRCC may not change the location/date of your ceremony. A reasonable person would not consider living in BC is a valid reason, unless you have other reasons (like serious sickness, with proof). You may have lost your opportunity. I would suggest you consult with a lawyer.

Anyway, good luck and hope the best for you.

Reactions: snoopyta

rampantbull

Jan 8, 2021
Sorry to hear your story.

Many people have mentioned that "NOTICE TO APPEAR" on Citizenship ceremony is NOT an invitation. The applicant MUST attend that ceremony to get your citizenship. Unless you have a valid reason of not being able to attend, IRCC may not change the location/date of your ceremony. A reasonable person would not consider living in BC is a valid reason, unless you have other reasons (like serious sickness, with proof). You may have lost your opportunity. I would suggest you consult with a lawyer.

Anyway, good luck and hope the best for you.
Thanks for the reply. In the notice it mention work/travel/proximity as a reason. I think it’s a valid reason and to not reschedule it would be bit harsh. I got the email on thursday and the ceremony was on Monday morning.
For most people that is notice is not enough to schedule the trip.

Reactions: Acorn450

doiena

Dec 10, 2021
Thanks for the reply. In the notice it mention work/travel/proximity as a reason. I think it’s a valid reason and to not reschedule it would be bit harsh. I got the email on thursday and the ceremony was on Monday morning.
Most people on this forum got notice at least one week ahead. I guess in your case it might be too short.

Still think better consult with a lawyer.

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Your file might be transferred to BC and probably closer to your current location for Oath, might take a little longer than usual as most locations have a queue for oath. They will reschedule as long as you have emailed them back. It was not a "Final notice to appear" which is kind of the ultimate notice even then they are still considerate. For the peice of your mind trying calling them in the morning to follow up on your file transfer. Cheers !!

rampantbull

Jan 8, 2021
Your file might be transferred to BC and probably closer to your current location for Oath, might take a little longer than usual as most locations have a queue for oath. They will reschedule as long as you have emailed them back. It was not a "Final notice to appear" which is kind of the ultimate notice even then they are still considerate. For the peice of your mind trying calling them in the morning to follow up on your file transfer. Cheers !!
Thanks for the info. And yes it's not a final notice and I emailed them back well within the 30day period. As for valid reason, I think not being able to travel across the country on couple of days notice is valid enough.

Anyways, do you have any idea on how long it might take to get a second date if they do transfer my file to BC?
And what's the best number to call them, I never seem to get to an actual human being to talk.

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for the info. And yes it's not a final notice and I emailed them back well within the 30day period. As for valid reason, I think not being able to travel across the country on couple of days notice is valid enough.

Anyways, do you have any idea on how long it might take to get a second date if they do transfer my file to BC?
And what's the best number to call them, I never seem to get to an actual human being to talk.
Dont worry about the rescheduling part, they will definitely give you another date. The issue here is that we are getting closer to the holidays and every location already has an existing queue for oath. There is no different number to call them other than 888-242-2100. Try calling them closer to 8 am EST and first confirm on your file location. Once you get that search the threads on the Oath timelines for that location.

Reactions: rampantbull

pdo

Star Member
Feb 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (transferred to Ottawa CPP-O)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2011
AOR Received.
02-02-2012
File Transfer...
02-02-2011
Med's Request
27-02-2012
Med's Done....
07-03-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2012
LANDED..........
28-06-2012
I had to reschedule twice. First time I got a quick reply and asked for substantiating info for why i couldn't attend. I then heard nothing for maybe 6-7 weeks. Second time, I rescheduled while in the intake on the zoom ceremony (long story), and they said they'd email me. I followed up two weeks later via email, and then got the invite maybe a week after that. First notice to appear was like 10 days notice. Second one was closer to 3 weeks. Last one (i'm done now!) was just shy of three weeks.

Reactions: rampantbull

rampantbull

Jan 8, 2021
I had to reschedule twice. First time I got a quick reply and asked for substantiating info for why i couldn't attend. I then heard nothing for maybe 6-7 weeks. Second time, I rescheduled while in the intake on the zoom ceremony (long story), and they said they'd email me. I followed up two weeks later via email, and then got the invite maybe a week after that. First notice to appear was like 10 days notice. Second one was closer to 3 weeks. Last one (i'm done now!) was just shy of three weeks.
Well that's reassuring. I'm just in a weird spot where I would like it to be either over by the end of the year or will have to wait till March (going back to home country that will require a visa for Canadian citizens). I'm hoping to hear back sooner or else will have to reschedule again. Wonder if I can give them the timeframe when I will like to attend (in case it doesn't happen soon).
If possible to share, what was the reason you had to reschedule the first time?

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UPDATE: Just received another email for attending the video ceremony next week. It took 5 weeks from my initial email to get the new date.
Thanks everyone for their help.
what email address di you write to?

sdharan21

Star Member
Aug 14, 2022
Hi . I have asked for a reschedule . which office was this one?

Miharbi

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Toronto
Category........
Other
Did you folks get your ceremonies rescheduled? & how long did it take?

Received Oath letter on February 10, but we already had a vacation planned (tickets bought, hotels booked - family wedding) so we were not going to change plans. Followed instructions and asked of oath to be postponed. Sent IRCC an email when we got back last week, with copies of boarding passes as proof of return, but haven't heard back. Anyone know how long rescheduling an oath takes these days? I called IRCC and they said there are no timelines, it all depends on the processing office (Mississauga).

sdharan21

Star Member
Aug 14, 2022
Did you folks get your ceremonies rescheduled? & how long did it take?

Received Oath letter on February 10, but we already had a vacation planned (tickets bought, hotels booked - family wedding) so we were not going to change plans. Followed instructions and asked of oath to be postponed. Sent IRCC an email when we got back last week, with copies of boarding passes as proof of return, but haven't heard back. Anyone know how long rescheduling an oath takes these days? I called IRCC and they said there are no timelines, it all depends on the processing office (Mississauga).
Mine was within 2 weeks . Mississauga office