+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reschedule the citizenship test otherwise lose job

rampager

May 19, 2011
So I had my scheduled test date back in July 2014, almost 2.5 years after I applied for citizenship, and was super excited to go for it, and then my employer asked me to go for a trip abroad. I had been putting off travelling for over a year for this same reason and was getting nowhere with a test date and then both these events just happen to coincide :eek:. Simply put, I either travel or I quit because if I don't travel, I'm not needed in the company. Since the main reason for the application delay was the RQ [and me being unemployed during some time of it], I decided to reschedule.

Fast forward to today, CIC has received the letters from my company, and accepted the reason. ATIP shows they will schedule a final test. Its 8 months to the day and still no news. CIC sent me a lame letter saying my application is processing back in January, and nothing after that.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I couldn't lose my job over the test, especially with my application under scrutiny over previous unemployment and everyone being asked where they work during the interview process.

Question really is, how long does rescheduling take? Anyone has any insight?

St. Clair.
Applied in Dec 2011.
RQ Feb 2013.
Scheduled Test July 2014

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It can take about 2 - 4 months depending on the local office.

sultanali

Aug 23, 2010
Scarborough
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i would suggest you to inquire about it via CIC website
https:/ / dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/ enquiries-renseignements/ canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

remove spaces after each /

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel for you buddy. I was in the same boat until i accumulated my 1095+ days. Luckily, I was able to dodge international travel for that long, but I couldn't get away with it for any longer. When its time for my interview, I'll have to prepare for questions regarding my sudden and increased travel activity right after my application, which to be honest, is hard to explain to the CO. I hope he/she believes me. These rules are so backwards...ugh...

jhjeppe

Star Member
Jun 29, 2011
The Pas, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 August 2009
Doc's Request.
31 January 2010
AOR Received.
14 June 2010
Med's Request
5 October 2010
Med's Done....
12 October 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
5 October 2011
LANDED..........
20 May 2012
rampager said:
So I had my scheduled test date back in July 2014, almost 2.5 years after I applied for citizenship, and was super excited to go for it, and then my employer asked me to go for a trip abroad. I had been putting off travelling for over a year for this same reason and was getting nowhere with a test date and then both these events just happen to coincide :eek:. Simply put, I either travel or I quit because if I don't travel, I'm not needed in the company. Since the main reason for the application delay was the RQ [and me being unemployed during some time of it], I decided to reschedule.

Fast forward to today, CIC has received the letters from my company, and accepted the reason. ATIP shows they will schedule a final test. Its 8 months to the day and still no news. CIC sent me a lame letter saying my application is processing back in January, and nothing after that.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I couldn't lose my job over the test, especially with my application under scrutiny over previous unemployment and everyone being asked where they work during the interview process.

Question really is, how long does rescheduling take? Anyone has any insight?

St. Clair.
Applied in Dec 2011.
RQ Feb 2013.
Scheduled Test July 2014
Well, first off...

1. You do not reschedule a citizenship test... you go when they tell you to... seriously dude, how long have you been waiting for this?
2. Any company that tells me that I cannot get the time off for me to go write my citizenship test that will impact my future, is not worth getting out of bed for...
3. If you are an important enough asset for the company, they will respect the process of applying for citizenship and let you get on with it...
4. You can find a new Job tomorrow, Citizenship doesn't come easy... you need to decide which is more important to you... Any job or company that doesn't respect you enough to let you take a really important test that might influence your status in Canada, has no place in your life... Priorities son!!!

just my two cents...

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
jhjeppe said:
Well, first off...

1. You do not reschedule a citizenship test... you go when they tell you to... seriously dude, how long have you been waiting for this?
2. Any company that tells me that I cannot get the time off for me to go write my citizenship test that will impact my future, is not worth getting out of bed for...
3. If you are an important enough asset for the company, they will respect the process of applying for citizenship and let you get on with it...
4. You can find a new Job tomorrow, Citizenship doesn't come easy... you need to decide which is more important to you... Any job or company that doesn't respect you enough to let you take a really important test that might influence your status in Canada, has no place in your life... Priorities son!!!

just my two cents...
I like and support this!

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhjeppe said:
Well, first off...

just my two cents...
Jhjeppe, what you're saying in theory is very true, but in reality, companies don't give a damn about your extra-curricular activities (even if it was about citizenship). And about finding a new job, its easier said than done buddy. I agree priorities come first, but whats the use of holding a Canadian passport without a dollar in my pocket?

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhjeppe said:
Well, first off...

just my two cents...
Seems like you have never worked in a multinational company or been in business, Its not easier to say no to big opportunities in your way. If that test is important for him, may be his travel is important for company business. Being PR you get almost same rights as Citizen, it would be still logical to get citizenship couple of months later. But throwing job just like that would be stupidity.

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tds69us said:
Jhjeppe, what you're saying in theory is very true, but in reality, companies don't give a damn about your extra-curricular activities (even if it was about citizenship). And about finding a new job, its easier said than done buddy. I agree priorities come first, but whats the use of holding a Canadian passport without a dollar in my pocket?
I agree with you, what you are gonna do of Citizenship with no job. I agree citizenship is important but then whats harm in waiting few more months.

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
Smile_Canada said:
I agree with you, what you are gonna do of Citizenship with no job. I agree citizenship is important but then whats harm in waiting few more months.
No harm waiting since waited that long. I just point one thing about company, it is illegal for a company to fire someone or not letting any person to take day off for test, oath and vote. we need to know our right.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
poushi24 said:
No harm waiting since waited that long. I just point one thing about company, it is illegal for a company to fire someone or not letting any person to take day off for test, oath and vote. we need to know our right.
While I agree that a company cannot prevent an employee to go vote in an election but to prevent an employee to do a citizenship test or citizenship oath, not sure about that. Can you provide source of this?

rampager

May 19, 2011
tds69us said:
That's pretty much the case! I'm in no rush to become a Canadian but what would I have done without a job? Being unemployed the first time around was pretty much the reason I got an RQ so this keeping a job is twice as important now when going to a test.

I'm going to check out the website posted by sultanali for an inquiry.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
screech339 said:
While I agree that a company cannot prevent an employee to go vote in an election but to prevent an employee to do a citizenship test or citizenship oath, not sure about that. Can you provide source of this?
Legal or not, if you get fired for attending the test or the oath, then that company is not worth having you as an employee.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
polara69 said:
Legal or not, if you get fired for attending the test or the oath, then that company is not worth having you as an employee.
The company is not worth working for if they treat you like that however they can be creative in their reasoning to letting you go other than "you attending a citizenship test". After all applying for citizenship is a choice not a requirement.

Because one of the duties of canadian citizen is to vote in elections, the employer legally cannot prevent an employee from voting. Companies usually don't have any issues with it as elections goes on from 8am to 8pm. Plenty of time to vote during off work hours. If, in a case whereby a employee were to work during those hours, the company is obligated to allow a couple of hours absence work to allow employee to go vote.

However there is no requirement or duty for PR to apply for citizenship thus it is considered a choice, thus a company is not obligated to accommodate a request to take time off work. That is what vacation time from work is for. Use it for personal use.