Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hi all, I see that those who have received COPR prior to Mar 18, 2020 are allowed to come to Canada to land but only if they plan to settle upon arrival. Is this a new requirement or has it been in place since the COVID restrictions on travelling to Canada were put in place? For reference https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved and copied the requirements below:

You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re coming to validate your CoPR and become a permanent resident, unless you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

You are exempt from the current travel restrictions and can come to Canada if you have a valid COPR and:

• the COPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020 OR
  • the COPR was issued after March 18th, 2020 and you are an immediate family member sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (note that grandparents are not considered immediate family members and cannot come to Canada at this time) OR
  • you’re currently living in the U.S. and will be coming to Canada directly (transiting through the U.S. to Canada doesn’t apply)
To meet the travel restriction exemptions, you must also:
  • be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days
If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by the airline before boarding a flight. If you show symptoms of COVID-19, you won’t be allowed to board.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
I wonder how Canada could prevent someone from leaving? What if there is an urgent situation? (e.g. death in the family, planned wedding, etc)

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I wonder how Canada could prevent someone from leaving? What if there is an urgent situation? (e.g. death in the family, planned wedding, etc)
you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary

The above is pretty clear and specific. Not sure what you were expecting

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
They would prevent them from landing in the first place if the person made it clear they were not planning to stay.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Their intention is to land and stay - so that's not the issue. And I assume they are allowed to leave for vacation, holidays,...weddings, as long as they didn't plan to stay overseas and work. The problem is their fiance is in a country where they may not be allowed to visit. And the fiance cannot travel outside that country. And Canada doesn't accept proxy weddings (rightly so). So they either get married within the next month and she be added to his application (before he lands) - that short of notice is extremely difficult in their culture...or he comes, stays until he can apply for citizenship, then he can enter the country where his fiance is...but that's 4 years out. The couple isn't young.....biological clock ticking...not an easy situation all around. Many Canadians don't know how lucky / blessed they are to be Canadians.