+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirement to file 3 Years Income tax return

palak.pandya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hi, i had a query on the citizenship requirement to file Income tax returns for atleast 3 out of 5 years. Does this apply to minors? I am preparing the citizenship file for my family (self, wife and Kid). We have never filed returns for my son as he was a minor and never had any income.

Would he be exempt with this requirement?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi, i had a query on the citizenship requirement to file Income tax returns for atleast 3 out of 5 years. Does this apply to minors? I am preparing the citizenship file for my family (self, wife and Kid). We have never filed returns for my son as he was a minor and never had any income.

Not sure why you assume instead of just checking the requirement.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Note: There is NO requirement to file tax returns.

The requirement is to be in compliance with CRA rules regarding filing returns. Thus, any year in which the applicant was not required to file a tax return, according to CRA rules, counts as a year in compliance even though the individual did not file a tax return for that year.

varungole

Jul 24, 2017
Note: There is NO requirement to file tax returns.

The requirement is to be in compliance with CRA rules regarding filing returns. Thus, any year in which the applicant was not required to file a tax return, according to CRA rules, counts as a year in compliance even though the individual did not file a tax return for that year.
Thanks for making this crystal clear. I am in a quandary regarding my mother in law’s application. She is 71 years old and hasnt filed any taxes as she is a dependent and didnt have any income.
Has someone applied for citizenship for a senior citizen with no tax filing history?
Many thanks.