+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REQUIRED TO NOTIFY CIC OF FINALIZATION OF DIVORCE AND NEW CHILD?

j2m

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 14 2009
Doc's Request.
JAN 10 2010
AOR Received.
NOV 18 2009
File Transfer...
NOV 11 2009
Med's Request
NOV 20 2009
Med's Done....
OCT 30 2009
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
FEB 16 2011
VISA ISSUED...
FEB 17, 2011
LANDED..........
FEB 17, 2011
QUESTION #1: Do I need to (1) submit Divorce Decree to CIC (2) just notify them of change (3) neither?
QUESTION #2: Do we need to update my application with CIC with our new child?

I am a US Citizen and have submitted PR application as common-law. (See timeline...) We have a 2 year old child together, and my partner (CAN CITIZEN) is pregnant with our 2nd child (due FEB 1st). My divorce from my EX (US citizen) has been in process for several years. The divorce is finalized, just waiting on final decree. My EX has legal custody of our 3 children in the US, I have 2 months per year of visitation in Canada with my children. My children were on my application and medicals were completed.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
you will need to (1), submit a copy of your divorce decree. (CIC loves to see proof of any major change in your life)... and that means that once your child is born, submit copy of birth certificate as well...

if your child is born outside canada, (and your partner is a canadian by birth or PR process) then it's just a citizenship application she will have to fill out to make the baby a citizen (takes about a year to go thru, you should be able to get a temporary passport to travel before that's done if need be)... if your partner was born outside of canada and is a citzen by birthright (born to canadian parents outside of canada), it's best for her to have the baby in Canada otherwise she'll have to sponsor him/her...

j2m

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 14 2009
Doc's Request.
JAN 10 2010
AOR Received.
NOV 18 2009
File Transfer...
NOV 11 2009
Med's Request
NOV 20 2009
Med's Done....
OCT 30 2009
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
FEB 16 2011
VISA ISSUED...
FEB 17, 2011
LANDED..........
FEB 17, 2011
We are living in Canada. My partner was born in Canada. I am here on a Visitor Record, so the new baby will be born in Canada.
The divorce decree is quite complex and may open up a whole can of worms... spousal support, child support, outstanding debts... It seems that I am very close to finishing this process and I don't want to throw a wrench into the whole thing.
My file is currently in the Final review stage, after 9 months of Background checks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
j2m said:
We are living in Canada. My partner was born in Canada. I am here on a Visitor Record, so the new baby will be born in Canada.
The divorce decree is quite complex and may open up a whole can of worms... spousal support, child support, outstanding debts... It seems that I am very close to finishing this process and I don't want to throw a wrench into the whole thing.
My file is currently in the Final review stage, after 9 months of Background checks.
Since your application is already being processed, it's not relevant to the common-law status you have with your Canadian partner. You don't have to be divorced to be recognized as a CL partner for immigration purposes. If your relationship has been assessed as genuine already, then CIC doesn't care if you are finally divorced from your former spouse. It's completely up to you if you want to send them a copy of the divorce decree or not.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
the divorce decree is separate piece of paper from custody and other child arrangements (which CIC does not ask or care about)... at least that's the way my divorce decree from Georgia was... the other stuff was in separate documents and all i submitted was the one page (divorce decree) and I was fine...

according to the guide the CIC should be notified of any change in address or status:

Change of address or status
If your address changes after you have submitted your application, let us know immediately by contacting the Call Centre or using our on-line change of address form found on our Web site.
If there are any changes to your family status, you must advise us immediately. Examples of changes to family status include marriage, divorce, births and deaths. You may advise us of changes by mail (Refer to the Case Processing Centre address above) or by contacting the Call Centre (Refer to the Contact Information page). Be sure to clearly state your file number

yes, for common law it's a bit of a moot point, but i'd just send in the one page and avoid potentially getting caught for non-disclosure for something that is, to them, relatively insignficant and has no baring on your case really...

j2m

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 14 2009
Doc's Request.
JAN 10 2010
AOR Received.
NOV 18 2009
File Transfer...
NOV 11 2009
Med's Request
NOV 20 2009
Med's Done....
OCT 30 2009
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
FEB 16 2011
VISA ISSUED...
FEB 17, 2011
LANDED..........
FEB 17, 2011
Quick Update: I had my attorney send in the one page that states that a "Decree" was entered. I hope this is sufficient for Buffalo. I guess we will find out.
I have a great attorney, no complaints... but I have learned SO much from reading this forum. My questions get answered much quicker, rather than waiting 2-3 days to ask a question and then having to wait another 2-3 days for my attorney to find the right answer. GOOD STUFF!!! And thanks to everyone!

Another Quick Question: When I send in additional information to add to my file to Buffalo, does it slow down the process? I have heard they pull your file, add information and then stick you file at the bottom of the Applications to be processed. Is this true?