+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting citizenship certificate to be rushed?

ejg

Jan 17, 2022
Thank you, same to you!
Have you seen/considered this?
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/dc-dn/dcc-eng.aspx
If you are a dual Canadian citizen flying soon to Canada and you do not have a valid Canadian passport, temporary passport or emergency travel document, you can apply for a special authorization that if approved will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport

Reactions: Svet81 and PEQ2013

MissJustice

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
BC
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
16-05-2017
Nomination.....
05-2017
AOR Received.
08-2017
Med's Request
01-04-2018
Med's Done....
01-05-2018
Passport Req..
05-02-2019
Have the in person oath ceremonies resumed???
For those who have recently had it online, did you receive your certificate via mail or email?

andrews65

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2016
AOR Received.
11-10-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: 28-07-2016
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
If you are a dual Canadian citizen flying soon to Canada and you do not have a valid Canadian passport, temporary passport or emergency travel document, you can apply for a special authorization that if approved will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport
The link to that dcc-eng page is from here Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport - Canada.ca
It only applies if you're a dual citizen of a visa exempt country.

Reactions: supercake

ejg

Jan 17, 2022

supercake

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
VANCOUVER
Interesting! Looks like that would apply to me if I left without getting the passport first. Thanks for the info!

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Thank you for replying. Seems it is 50/50 chance. I can ask the clerk after my citizenship ceremony but they may ask for proof of flights etc - I do not have proof as it seems foolish to book any travel knowing I may not have my passport and they actually advised not to book anything because they cannot make any guarantees. So that leaves me thinking it is better not to book flights but ask the clerk anyway. Confusing. Hopefully the clerk will be understanding.
Buy fully refundable plane tickets - that's the best insurance that you can have. It's more expensive, but, that way, if they can't expedite, at least you can get your money back.

Reactions: supercake

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
My travel plans were made whilst I was (/am) PR- before my oath invite. The plan involves 16 other adults and their schedules, I will not re-arrange travel.
Tickets ARE considered proof - but they might not be proof enough, I think they will ask for reason for travelling (Celebration of Life, in my case)

I'd rather fly to US and drive over the land border if push came to shove, and I could not fly back into Canada
I don't think they've ever asked for justification, but I could be 100% wrong - anecdotally, tickets and a good story seemed historically sufficient (whether or not the story is true, I'm not sure how they verify....)

Reactions: Omegabyte and ejg

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Interesting! Looks like that would apply to me if I left without getting the passport first. Thanks for the info!
There are some weird corner cases that have been discussed on here, like using a Certificate of Citizenship over a land border. As outlined here, they state the following for proving identity and citizenship (emphasis mine).

<quote>:
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:
  • NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory
</quote>

Do note, however, that the rest of the page is quite ambiguous and it's far from a slam-dunk that you may get in with no hassle. Personally, I completely put off all travel plans until I had a passport, which meant cancelling all sorts of end-of-year celebrations with friends that had already booked a hotel, car rentals, etc. Super annoying, yes, but also super cautious just in case things went sideways. Didn't want to have to faff about with other contingencies in case things fell through.

supercake

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
VANCOUVER
I asked the clerk today about expediting the certificate but she said as my travel was in more than 2 weeks it would not be possible. She said it was likely it will arrive before 2 weeks since I live so close to the office. I am crossing my fingers that it will arrive at the end of this month.

Alo_edmonton

Jun 25, 2020
I asked the clerk today about expediting the certificate but she said as my travel was in more than 2 weeks it would not be possible. She said it was likely it will arrive before 2 weeks since I live so close to the office. I am crossing my fingers that it will arrive at the end of this month.
Think You for the information. I also live in Vancouver.
I have scheduled ceremony on Jan 27 But urgent travel on Feb 25.
I have sent email asking for rescheduling but no reply yet .
Do you happen to know if they will reply anything before the scheduled date?

supercake

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
VANCOUVER
Hey there. I'm not sure as I did not request to reschedule my oath date. Hopefully someone else can give you some advice though. All the best.

ejg

Jan 17, 2022
I'll keep you posted on my experience
Ceremony Jan 24th
Flight Feb 9th
11 business days to sort a passport..!! (P.S - I have a Plan B, but my Plan A is the aforementioned!)

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Keep in mind that, once you have the certificate, you still need to get the passport. You might qualify for expedited processing on the passport, owing to your imminent travel plans.

Good luck.

ejg

Jan 17, 2022
Hi all,
I had my virtual oath ceremony yesterday (Jan 24th) - I asked for a rush/expediated certificate in the registration process (which is just prior to ceremony) which wasn't granted. The request had to be emailed, after the ceremony along with the signed Oath form, flight tickets and an explanation. He was hopeful it would be granted, but wasn't his decision to make. Currently waiting to hear back from my email.

The registration clerk did also offer the chance to postpone there and then, before cutting up my PR card.

Just wanted to share my ceremony experience, I know not everyone will have the same experience - mine was super pleasant, the registration person spent extra time to go through my options with me. I had a really good ceremony, albeit no confirmation of rushed certificate

Reactions: lingow and PEQ2013

supercake

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
VANCOUVER
Good news from me - my certificate arrived today. My oath was on Jan 19th so I am very happy it arrived so quickly, especially after the clerk said it was not possible for me to have it expedited. I just booked my flight so I have proof for the passport office. I do not have any medical proof of my mothers situation so I am hoping the flight is enough.

I filled in the form online about requesting a callback to make an in person appointment.

Hoping it goes smoothly, booking my flights made me super anxious.