+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requested to take the oath from outside of Canada and 6 months later, still waiting to be rescheduled. What can I do to finalize the process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see. Honestly, I feel scammed because the IRCC's very first reply to me explicitly stated that there was no need for special permission to take the oath from outside Canada anymore and that I was approved to take the oath from outside of Canada. That is, they explicitly told me that they approved me taking the oath from outside of Canada. However, my oath was an in-person oath and I believe that this was a possibility only for video oaths. I guess that in the meanwhile, they changed their policy and now they require special permission for anybody that wants to take the oath from outside of Canada. So, I'm stuck in a non-routine application now.

Had they initially told me that taking the oath from outside of Canada was not possible, I would have came to Canada to take my oath. So I feel very misled here.
Ultimately it's up to you what you do next. All we can do is share recent experiences and what you can expect from IRCC.

bwrxejlb

Dec 12, 2023
Ultimately it's up to you what you do next. All we can do is share recent experiences and what you can expect from IRCC.
That's right. I also spoke to an IRCC agent today and they told me that normally only a certain class of people is allowed to take the oath overseas. So, it seems like the situation is that IRCC allowed overseas oaths for everybody for only a short period over the summer but later changed their policy back, just like some other posts in this forum says. So now, it seems like it's back to the old policy where regular people must be in Canada to take the oath.

I wrote to the processing office and told them that their approval over the August was the reason that I went through with my overseas oath request. I also told them that I'm willing and able to take the oath from inside Canada and requested to be scheduled to the nearest available ceremony. Hopefully they will read it and schedule me for a ceremony, which I will come to Canada to attend it.

D-Dog

Star Member
Feb 2, 2024
That's right. I also spoke to an IRCC agent today and they told me that normally only a certain class of people is allowed to take the oath overseas. So, it seems like the situation is that IRCC allowed overseas oaths for everybody for only a short period over the summer but later changed their policy back, just like some other posts in this forum says. So now, it seems like it's back to the old policy where regular people must be in Canada to take the oath.

I wrote to the processing office and told them that their approval over the August was the reason that I went through with my overseas oath request. I also told them that I'm willing and able to take the oath from inside Canada and requested to be scheduled to the nearest available ceremony. Hopefully they will read it and schedule me for a ceremony, which I will come to Canada to attend it.
This seems like asking for special treatment, and I think any fair minded person would agree. Some wait months for their first ceremony while living in Canada. If you read the forum, you should know your request is hugely unlikely. I can't imagine IRCC prioritizing anyone who is presently not committed to the country. Apologies if this is not what you want to read.

bwrxejlb

Dec 12, 2023
This seems like asking for special treatment, and I think any fair minded person would agree. Some wait months for their first ceremony while living in Canada. If you read the forum, you should know your request is hugely unlikely. I can't imagine IRCC prioritizing anyone who is presently not committed to the country. Apologies if this is not what you want to read.
On the other hand, there are people that complete their whole process in less than a year or people that get scheduled for overseas oath ceremonies. The process is awfully unfair.

bwrxejlb

Dec 12, 2023
I've also been waiting for almost 2 years now, so it's not like I'm one of the people that's getting special treatment.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
What's the point of becoming a Canadian but not wanting to live here? I sincerely dislike people that do that..
If only life were as simple as yours mate....you've no idea what goes on in other people's lives so don't come here and tarnish everyone with the same brush!

Many people have to go back for many many differing reasons....you want to dislike then that's your call but please don't judge other people when you have 'zero' idea as to what's going on in their lives!

To the OP....listen you feel you've been misled however come on it's the IRCC and in theory they have the power, you must've surely known at the time that there's a chance that you requesting for your oath outside of Canada would in turn lead to further delays and a huge question mark over the ceremony and where it's going to be (and yes I know you've mentioned what they responded with at the time).

As for your wait of 2 years well yep that's how many of us felt during covid times, my own timeline was 2.5 years and many others here have been longer.....final point is they may not give you a ceremony at all if they don't believe that you're ultimately going to be coming back to Canada.

bwrxejlb

Dec 12, 2023
If only life were as simple as yours mate....you've no idea what goes on in other people's lives so don't come here and tarnish everyone with the same brush!

Many people have to go back for many many differing reasons....you want to dislike then that's your call but please don't judge other people when you have 'zero' idea as to what's going on in their lives!

To the OP....listen you feel you've been misled however come on it's the IRCC and in theory they have the power, you must've surely known at the time that there's a chance that you requesting for your oath outside of Canada would in turn lead to further delays and a huge question mark over the ceremony and where it's going to be (and yes I know you've mentioned what they responded with at the time).

As for your wait of 2 years well yep that's how many of us felt during covid times, my own timeline was 2.5 years and many others here have been longer.....final point is they may not give you a ceremony at all if they don't believe that you're ultimately going to be coming back to Canada.
You mean for the ceremony or to live in Canada in the future (as in, "intent to reside")? If the latter, I believe "intent to reside" is not a requirement for the citizenship but I might be mistaken.

• Angry
Reactions: IPULL

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you mean that all people who get scheduled for overseas oath ceremonies are the people who deserve them? Not sure what you meant.
No. This person means that almost no one is being approved for oaths outside of Canada. It's basically a unicorn.

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
On the other hand, there are people that complete their whole process in less than a year or people that get scheduled for overseas oath ceremonies. The process is awfully unfair.
I agree that you relied on their email but you can't hold them accountable . I'm sure IRCC didn't promise you a date so they may very well be in their right to reschedule as per their whim. Further, given you are outside your application would now fall in non routine and the current timelines of 15 months won't apply to you. As suggested by some folks, come to Canada and send them a webform with proof that you are back and wait for the new oath date.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Do you mean that all people who get scheduled for overseas oath ceremonies are the people who deserve them? Not sure what you meant.
Whether those people who ever got the Oath done oversea or you in this present circumstance is between them/you and IRCC. I am not here to judge, I cannot be and do not want to be.
But once you overcome your grudge and think rationally you maybe able to think it through clearly and proceed with the next steps on your journey to citizenship or otherwise

IPULL

May 30, 2023
What's the point of becoming a Canadian but not wanting to live here? I sincerely dislike people that do that..
Me too, just not fair to the ones that actually want to live here and contribute to society!!!

IPULL

May 30, 2023
The reason is that I had to come to my country of origin for a family emergency and afterwards, I lost my job in Canada. Then I found a job in my country of origin and stayed there. That is, job commitment.
Then stay there!!!!!!

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Me too, just not fair to the ones that actually want to live here and contribute to society!!!
IPULL Thanks for liking my comment above however again as per my response to the other user....how does this person and what they're doing affect the 'ones that actually want to live here and contribute to society'?

It's his/her application and no one else's is being judged in conjunction with their application....so whatever their intentions are has no impact on anyone else or their application or choice to live and contribute to society....