+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for the destruction of PR Card- Minor child

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
Good afternoon,

I received an email from IRCC to send them a photo of cut PR card of my minor child for issuing citizenship certificate. I just want to make sure if it is usual or legit.
note: the application was submitted online and there won’t be any ceremony as he is a minor.
Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Reactions: mefarahat

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Hello, may I ask you when did you apply for ? I am waiting for a letter or similar email from IRCC for my minor child application applied in August 2023.

According to IRCC website non concurrent applications , before issuing certificate, the officer should collect the PR card. Maybe now they ask to destroy rather sending the PR card. ( "If the minor is under 14 years of age when the application processing is complete, the CPC-S may grant citizenship and send the certificate to the applicant's last-known address. However, the CPC-S must request the PRC, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence form [IMM 5292] and/or the IMM 1000 form from the applicant before the citizenship certificate can be mailed to the applicant." source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/timing-applications-minors.html)

thank you for any updates.

Last edited:

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
Hello, may I ask you when did you apply for ? I am waiting for a letter or similar email from IRCC for my minor child application applied in August 2023.

According to IRCC website non concurrent applications , before issuing certificate, the officer should collect the PR card. Maybe now they ask to destroy rather sending the PR card. ( "If the minor is under 14 years of age when the application processing is complete, the CPC-S may grant citizenship and send the certificate to the applicant's last-known address. However, the CPC-S must request the PRC, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence form [IMM 5292] and/or the IMM 1000 form from the applicant before the citizenship certificate can be mailed to the applicant." source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/timing-applications-minors.html)

thank you for any updates.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I too believe it is the new process. I found two other posts like this where they received such email for their minor. However nobody is yet to confirm.
I applied in late July, got the AOR on early September. No updates since then and now suddenly this email.

Reactions: mefarahat

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Thanks a lot for sharing. I too believe it is the new process. I found two other posts like this where they received such email for their minor. However nobody is yet to confirm.
I applied in late July, got the AOR on early September. No updates since then and now suddenly this email.
Thanks. I should expect soon i guess. We got AoR in early Sep (12th) as well. I would appreciate updates here. Please keep posted on the timeline as there are only very few 5(2) or 5(1) applications. Most minor applications are concurrent .. :)

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Good afternoon,

I received an email from IRCC to send them a photo of cut PR card of my minor child for issuing citizenship certificate. I just want to make sure if it is usual or legit.
note: the application was submitted online and there won’t be any ceremony as he is a minor.
Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you.
@saeed000 @sri88 may I ask some questions please:

1. Did you apply for your child alone? Using 5(1) or 5(2)?
2. Does the child need to be in Canada throughout the process?
3. Would you please share the timeline?

Many thanks!

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
Thanks. I should expect soon i guess. We got AoR in early Sep (12th) as well. I would appreciate updates here. Please keep posted on the timeline as there are only very few 5(2) or 5(1) applications. Most minor applications are concurrent .. :)
I called IRCC, and they verified that it is a legit email. Hopefully you will receive your child’s email soon as well. I will update the timeline once the certificate is received

Reactions: sri88

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018

Many thanks!
1. Yes and 5(2)
2. No
3. Applied online in late July, AOR in early September, PR card destruction email on Early March.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022

Many thanks!
1. Yes- 5(2) ( I got citizenship and applied for child after)
2. Not sure in my case we are in canada.
3. early August application. AoR- Sep (12th).. no updates so far .

Reactions: stnguyenvn

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
I have an update for the 5(2) - non-concurrent ( Minor with a Canadian parent application). I applied for my child after acquiring my citizenship under 5(2).

Timeline and comments:
  • 4th Aug 2023- Application filed ( Minor 5(2)- non concurrent - Online application with e-certificate)
  • 12th Sep 2023- AoR - 2 days after was able to link the application in the status portal. Everything except Oath and Test: in progress. (note: the applicant is a minor, so not required)
  • Sep 2023- April 2024- Complete Silence in between requested a couple of GCMS notes, and there was no progress.
  • 4th April 2024 ( 8 months after filing) - received an email from " Client Information" with "Subject: Destruction of PR card "
" Please be advised that we have finalized your grant application, and an eCertificate will be issued to you.
Upon receiving your Citizenship Certificate, you must destroy your permanent resident (PR) card by cutting it in half. Destroy your card even if it is expired or damaged to protect the privacy and security of your personal information."

comments:
  • No status change in the application Portal
  • No e-certificate download instruction email
  • Application processed completely at CPC Sydney ( Niagara Falls Secondary office)
I made a trial to download the certificate using my IRCC account, and it worked. So, in summary, I received the email above and, on the same day, was able to download the e-certificate from my (parents' ) IRCC account.

I hope this will help non-concurrent minor applicants. Thank you