+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for Supplementary Evidence (Post Bill C6 Applicants only)

zwwz

May 15, 2018
Big thanks to mg7, this is a worthy discussion topic.
I am a Scarborough applicant too, had my exam in Feb, 0520 in March, replied in April. No news whatsoever
mg7, your lawyer may be oversimplifying things. RQ still exists. In fact, you may get one after 0520 - just think what a joy that might be!
Best of luck to us all
PS: it really shouldn't be this way. Citizenship application, if only we had proper entry/exit controls, should just be a simple math exercise - came in, (maybe) went out, sumtotal of present days over the threshold - congrats, you're Canadian. That the government thinks they have the right to cast us into this crime/suspense thriller - it's just wrong!

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Big thanks to mg7, this is a worthy discussion topic.
I am a Scarborough applicant too, had my exam in Feb, 0520 in March, replied in April. No news whatsoever
mg7, your lawyer may be oversimplifying things. RQ still exists. In fact, you may get one after 0520 - just think what a joy that might be!
Best of luck to us all
PS: it really shouldn't be this way. Citizenship application, if only we had proper entry/exit controls, should just be a simple math exercise - came in, (maybe) went out, sumtotal of present days over the threshold - congrats, you're Canadian. That the government thinks they have the right to cast us into this crime/suspense thriller - it's just wrong!
ZWWZ, If they send me a full blown RQ, my response to them will still be the same set of documents.

They asked me for Record of Employment, Tax Returns, OHIP Records, Bank Statements, mortgages & lease documents, & official transcripts from school. My response was a 7 page cover letter that had:

1. Proof of Physical Presence (My table of entry & exit records, US FOIA Record, CBP Record, Copies of all pages of passport)
2. Record of Employment - Letters from Employers
3. Mortgage & Leases - I provided them with home ownership documents, rental agreements, insurance certificates, sale-purchase agreements for my previous home, Reference Letters Insurance broker, Utility companies that offer it, & Gym Membership records. I also included entry and exit record for the gyms I have been using over the last few years
4. Bank Statements - I provided Retirement Account & Current Account statements (This was the thickest bunch as it had transaction summary of my groceries and other bills )
5. Education Record of minor children - I provided Montessori records, School Principal letter & report cards, Kumon Institute letter, enrollment record for city's activities like swimming etc
6.CRA notices of Assessment for all 5 years, along with letter from Tax Accountant
7. Educational Transcripts from both bachelor and masters programs
8. Provincial Health Claim Summary from OHIP

I think I bared my self completely in front of them. They know my income, my assets, my education, my travel, my family, & my health. There is really nothing more to the information that I can really provide them. I mean I have given the most potent proof that they could have asked for.

It really boils down to the amount of time the officer spends on my application & whether or not they go through my cover letter that explains every single detail of my application. I organized things extremely methodically for them so it is easy for them to go through any detail related to my application however I am not sure of the way they will handle all this documentation.

If they lose documentation provided, I will probably have the pleasure to meet the Judge or respond with the same information again - which is understandable at they are a government run organization & get tons of people like me.

I am just a Number and that's a miserable feeling!

spletpeer

Sep 28, 2016
I got a CIT 0520 on the day of my interview, about 2 weeks ago in the Scarborough officer... The officer asked for the copy of all pages of my passport and the translation of stamps which. Still in processing. I was a October 13th applicant.

Scarborough is slow, I can't see myself as a citizen sooner than 6months

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
I got a CIT 0520 on the day of my interview, about 2 weeks ago in the Scarborough officer... The officer asked for the copy of all pages of my passport and the translation of stamps which. Still in processing. I was a October 13th applicant.

Scarborough is slow, I can't see myself as a citizen sooner than 6months
The timelines are hard to predict but one thing is clear that they are slow & certainly backlogged with the sudden receipt of 1 year worth of applicants just in 1 go. Let us wait it out friends & as it is there is no other choice for all of us that are relatively unfortunate here.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
The timelines are hard to predict but one thing is clear that they are slow & certainly backlogged with the sudden receipt of 1 year worth of applicants just in 1 go. Let us wait it out friends & as it is there is no other choice for all of us that are relatively unfortunate here.
Did you submit the response for CIT0520? They only give you 30 days to pull things off.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
So here is a question for all knowledgeable applicants and advisors.

I provided CBSA history, FOIA history and Passport page copies along with a summary I created for exit and entries in the format the residency calculator requires.

Given the extensive travel record, it will be an onerous talk for the officer to reconcile it though I can say will confidence that pretty much everything can be reconciled provided all that time is spent in doing so.

Given this situation, is there like a 3rd party agency that government honors that I can use to get my entry and exit record verified. That way, the citizenship officer will have to invest less energy and probably would make a determination faster.

I see comments from various around stamp translation etc. if IRCC accepts 3rd part translations, perhaps they will accept such 3rd party verifications also.

Any comments anyone?

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Guys, I had my local MP today follow up & the response was a bit disappointing though not unusual. The response to CIT0520 that I sent out to IRCC (almost a month ago) in Scarborough is yet to be reviewed by the presiding officer. Clearly the officers are over burdened with applications to process & hence my applications sits in the parking lot waiting for it to be looked it :(

1 month gone...Wish there was a way to get things expedited.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Wish there was a way to get things expedited.
You and a quarter MILLION or so others.

If there are genuine reasons why urgent processing is appropriate, the applicant can request urgent processing with an explanation of the reason. Such requests are sometimes granted.

Even if there are good reasons for expediting the application, however, whether IRCC will do so is a purely discretionary matter . . . IRCC does NOT need a reason to deny urgent processing.

If IRCC has any concerns at all about any qualification, especially about meeting the physical presence requirement, it is NOT likely, not at all, that IRCC will expedite processing even if there is a very strong reason why urgent processing is appropriate.

OTHERWISE: there is NO way to accelerate processing.

The big wait now is sitting in the queue waiting for the processing agent or Citizenship Officer (it is not clear whether a processing agent will review your submission first or whether at this stage it goes directly to a Citizenship Officer) to do the review and assessment. If your submission satisfies the reasons for requesting additional information/documentation, the timeline after that should be fairly consistent with other routinely processed applicants. No problem. And, for most applicants in this situation, those who have reasonably and appropriately responded to the CIT 0520 requests, there is indeed NO PROBLEM. As I noted before, odds are good you are still in a no-reason-to-worry-zone.

If the processing agent or Citizenship Officer still has some concerns, that is quite a different matter and how it goes from there can vary considerably.

Leading to this:

RQ still exists. In fact, you may get one after 0520
This is indeed correct; the full blown RQ can still come after responding to CIT 0520.

However, subsequently being issued RQ (CIT 0171) after responding to RQ-lite (CIT 0520) is a BIG DEAL. It signals not just explicit SUSPICIONS but likely indicates that IRCC is overtly challenging the applicant's qualifications. Many applicants in this situation would be prudent to obtain experienced professional assistance, preferably a licensed lawyer experienced in citizenship cases.

While this happens to some, for the majority of applicants issued the CIT 0520 this is NOT likely to happen. IRCC is better at sorting out questionable applications than many realize or will give IRCC credit. They really do mostly figure it out. If the applicant is qualified and appropriately submitted information and supporting documentation showing that, IRCC will almost always readily proceed to the Oath.

There are a couple scenarios in which, however, the RISKS of full blown RQ, and ending up with a challenged presence-case, are relatively high:
-- IRCC perceives reason to suspect the applicant lacks credibility or at least the applicant's presence calculation is suspect
-- IRCC identifies reason to question some days in the presence calculation and the applicant applied without a substantial margin over the minimum​

Credibility: If IRCC perceives reason to suspect the applicant's credibility, that can be a huge problem. IRCC is not likely to inform the applicant this is the problem. Most applicants in this situation, however, should easily figure it out and have a good idea of the reason why. Whether to seek a lawyer's help depends, in part, on what that is, on how serious that is. Note: even applicants with a substantial margin over the minimum can run into this problem, since it is about doubting the applicant's submissions generally and NOT so much about specific dates. Once IRCC seriously questions the applicant's credibility, IRCC is likely to question whether an applicant was actually physically present in Canada in-between dates of entry and next date of exit. That can be a problem.

Low margin and some dates questioned: If the problem is rooted in doubts about some of the days claimed to be present in Canada and the applicant does not have a comfortable margin over the minimum, how it will go can really depend on how well all days are documented. IRCC has a MANDATE to NOT grant citizenship unless the applicant affirmatively proves at least 1095 days credit . . . if IRCC perceives the possibility the applicant falls short BY EVEN JUST ONE DAY, IRCC is obligated to require substantial proof AND if the proof falls short, IRCC MUST DENY the grant of citizenship. (The importance of a good margin over the minimum, before applying, cannot be emphasized too much. This is not a game of horseshoes.)

Obviously, the more complicated the applicant's travel history is, the more important the margin is.

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013

If there are genuine reasons why urgent processing is appropriate, the applicant can request urgent processing with an explanation of the reason. Such requests are sometimes granted.

Even if there are good reasons for expediting the application, however, whether IRCC will do so is a purely discretionary matter . . . IRCC does NOT need a reason to deny urgent processing.

If IRCC has any concerns at all about any qualification, especially about meeting the physical presence requirement, it is NOT likely, not at all, that IRCC will expedite processing even if there is a very strong reason why urgent processing is appropriate.

The big wait now is sitting in the queue waiting for the processing agent or Citizenship Officer (it is not clear whether a processing agent will review your submission first or whether at this stage it goes directly to a Citizenship Officer) to do the review and assessment. If your submission satisfies the reasons for requesting additional information/documentation, the timeline after that should be fairly consistent with other routinely processed applicants. No problem. And, for most applicants in this situation, those who have reasonably and appropriately responded to the CIT 0520 requests, there is indeed NO PROBLEM. As I noted before, odds are good you are still in a no-reason-to-worry-zone.

If the processing agent or Citizenship Officer still has some concerns, that is quite a different matter and how it goes from there can vary considerably.

Leading to this:

This is indeed correct; the full blown RQ can still come after responding to CIT 0520.

However, subsequently being issued RQ (CIT 0171) after responding to RQ-lite (CIT 0520) is a BIG DEAL. It signals not just explicit SUSPICIONS but likely indicates that IRCC is overtly challenging the applicant's qualifications. Many applicants in this situation would be prudent to obtain experienced professional assistance, preferably a licensed lawyer experienced in citizenship cases.

While this happens to some, for the majority of applicants issued the CIT 0520 this is NOT likely to happen. IRCC is better at sorting out questionable applications than many realize or will give IRCC credit. They really do mostly figure it out. If the applicant is qualified and appropriately submitted information and supporting documentation showing that, IRCC will almost always readily proceed to the Oath.

There are a couple scenarios in which, however, the RISKS of full blown RQ, and ending up with a challenged presence-case, are relatively high:
-- IRCC perceives reason to suspect the applicant lacks credibility or at least the applicant's presence calculation is suspect
-- IRCC identifies reason to question some days in the presence calculation and the applicant applied without a substantial margin over the minimum​

Credibility: If IRCC perceives reason to suspect the applicant's credibility, that can be a huge problem. IRCC is not likely to inform the applicant this is the problem. Most applicants in this situation, however, should easily figure it out and have a good idea of the reason why. Whether to seek a lawyer's help depends, in part, on what that is, on how serious that is. Note: even applicants with a substantial margin over the minimum can run into this problem, since it is about doubting the applicant's submissions generally and NOT so much about specific dates. Once IRCC seriously questions the applicant's credibility, IRCC is likely to question whether an applicant was actually physically present in Canada in-between dates of entry and next date of exit. That can be a problem.

Low margin and some dates questioned: If the problem is rooted in doubts about some of the days claimed to be present in Canada and the applicant does not have a comfortable margin over the minimum, how it will go can really depend on how well all days are documented. IRCC has a MANDATE to NOT grant citizenship unless the applicant affirmatively proves at least 1095 days credit . . . if IRCC perceives the possibility the applicant falls short BY EVEN JUST ONE DAY, IRCC is obligated to require substantial proof AND if the proof falls short, IRCC MUST DENY the grant of citizenship. (The importance of a good margin over the minimum, before applying, cannot be emphasized too much. This is not a game of horseshoes.)

Obviously, the more complicated the applicant's travel history is, the more important the margin is.
Thank you for your replies and sharing ur knowledge... like u previously said this is a bureaucracy... not much we can do other then wait and hope.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017

Leading to this:

Thanks a lot for that very comprehensive explanation. I do have almost 1 year of margin in my application.
The challenge may be that I had once back in 2013 withdrawn an application for Citizenship. That time, I was given a full blown RQ and it took about 2 years to get to a Citizenship Judge. He kept all the things such as bank statements etc I provided aside & wanted that I only get him the CBSA and FOIA record to establish Physical Presence. Remember, this was the era that the application didn't automatically give permission to CIC to obtain these records. Now in 30 days that I was given, it was virtually impossible to obtain all records & the only alternative was to withdraw.

Thereafter the government implemented C-24 so now I had to meet the 4/6 year requirement & since I didn't have sufficient margin over 4 years, I kept waiting & it was just as soon as C-6 was implemented that I went ahead and submitted the application.

The lady officer from IRCC in Scarborough was concerned about 2 main things, 1. How do I have a US job & live in Canada? 2. Why did I withdraw my application last time? I have attempted to explain both these items in my cover letter. I have a US payroll because I work for the US Beneficiary Company in a North American Sales Role & travel on fully paid trips as needed across borders (usually quite short 1-2 day trips totaling to 60 days in a year).

I withdrew my application as I couldn't gather the requested information within the given amount of time & there wasn't any urgency then to obtain citizenship. I waited for the rest of my family to settle and become Canadian Citizens.

depenabill - a question for you!

I provided CBSA history, FOIA history and Passport page copies along with a summary I created for exit and entries in the format the residency calculator requires.

Given the extensive travel record, it will be an onerous talk for the officer to reconcile it though I can say will confidence that pretty much everything can be reconciled provided all that time is spent in doing so.

Given this situation, is there like a 3rd party agency that government honors that I can use to get my entry and exit record verified. That way, the citizenship officer will have to invest less energy and probably would make a determination faster.

I see comments from various around stamp translation etc. if IRCC accepts 3rd part translations, perhaps they will accept such 3rd party verifications also.

Any suggestions / comments anyone?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I do have almost 1 year of margin in my application.
. . . .

Caveats:
-- I am NO expert. For expert advice you need to consult with an experienced lawyer. If you get full-blown RQ or are scheduled for a CJ hearing, you may want to seriously consider obtaining the representation of a good lawyer, and you may want to do that anyway.
-- The actual decision-making mechanics at this stage, in a particular individual's case, cannot be known . . . it would be like trying to read the mind of a judge, after the judge received all the evidence, and without knowing who the judge is.
-- All we know and all we can reasonably estimate, about the decision-making at this stage, are inferences based on how the general rules and policies are typically applied to known fact-patterns. You appear to have a fact pattern tending to raise questions.

Re explicit query:

I do not know of anything like a 3rd party agency that will verify entry and exit records, let alone one that the government would honour or rely on.

In the meantime, NO one can verify you were not absent additional days, so verification of your travel dates would not dictate a positive outcome anyway. That is, verification of accuracy does not (and cannot) verify completeness. (This warrants further observations below.)

IRCC does not even entirely rely on Canada's CBSA travel history to account for all dates of entry into Canada.

IRCC will consider any and all evidence as to travel history dates. For you, in particular, the U.S. history is probably very important evidence. CBSA entry history will be considered, and given a lot of weight, but again IRCC will NOT rely on it to necessarily show all entry dates.

In a case like yours, my sense is that verification of the dates you have reported largely goes to credibility more than the precise calculation of days. In particular, even if every date you reported could be verified as accurate, one looming question is whether or not there are any additional absences. When IRCC questions an applicant's account of presence in Canada, IRCC does not necessarily make the inference that the applicant actually remained in Canada from a reported/known date of entry until the next reported/known date of exit.

Otherwise, if there is a substantial amount of available objective evidence that is consistent with your accounting of dates, minimal evidence of discrepancies, my sense is that how it goes will depend on whether the Citizenship Officer BELIEVES you, finds you credible. If yes, all is well. If not, that likely means you would be headed to a Citizenship Judge hearing again (probably after a full-blown RQ but perhaps not).

Credibility is the critical element: the more thoroughly your accounting is verified, the more that bolsters your credibility.

As long as what you have submitted substantially documents your account AND otherwise there is no reason for IRCC to doubt your credibility . . . YOU REALLY SHOULD BE OK.

Circumstantial Observations (key elements in the fact pattern):

Your recent post illuminates some salient factors I was not aware of previously:
-- previous application subject to RQ, CJ hearing, and withdrawn
-- employed by foreign employer
-- continuing pattern of extended absences going back and spanning many years

Each of these independently would COMPLICATE things. In combination, they can really complicate things. But of course they are not independent, but rather are connected, which should help a decision-maker sort through what is relevant and what that means, making the decision-making somewhat less complicated.

The other salient circumstantial factor which looms large:
-- more than 300 days margin

The latter means that the decision-maker (probably a Citizenship Officer, at least for now . . . recognizing this application could also end up before a Citizenship Judge later in the process if the Citizenship Officer is not satisfied) does NOT need to verify each and every entry/exit date. Even if numerous dates are questionable, the margin should cover the difference.

So the more critical element in your case is CREDIBILITY. This may be the key to how things go. My sense is that credibility is indeed the KEY to how things will go for you. I am NO expert, so my guess is only a for-what-it's-worth guess, but I'd guess that if the interviewer (probably a processing agent, but possibly it was the Citizenship Officer) had a positive impression about your credibility AND the response to the CIT 0520 mostly documents/supports the credibility of the information you provided, ALL is WELL. NO PROBLEM.

So, again, so long as what you have submitted substantially documents your account AND otherwise there is no reason for IRCC to doubt your credibility . . . YOU REALLY SHOULD BE OK.

That is, a lot, a real lot, depends on your credibility.

Leading to observations like this:

if only we had proper entry/exit controls, should just be a simple math exercise - came in, (maybe) went out, sumtotal of present days over the threshold - congrats, you're Canadian. That the government thinks they have the right to cast us into this crime/suspense thriller - it's just wrong!
Actually, a more accurate way to verify days present in Canada would be to require all immigrants wear GPS devices which uploads data to a government database . . . what, every month? week? hour? Depends on how much government oversight you want. But even then, there would be ways to game the system.

Or immigrants could be required to check in at a government office regularly to report their activities and address. Once a week? A month?

And how much money should the Canadian taxpayer spend to establish border controls so tight there is nearly no way to enter or exit Canada without it being for-certain recorded accurately, for each and every traveler? My partner is (tongue-in-cheek) in favour of a Trump-like wall on the U.S./Canadian border (to keep that S-hole Country out of Canada), which is just part of what would be required to so conclusively establish such border controls . . . and the U.S., with an economy many, many times bigger than Canada's, cannot really afford the cost of building such a wall on its much, much shorter border with Mexico. In contrast, the residents of Stanstead, Que., among many other border towns, appreciate the absence of a Berlin-style-wall between them and their neighbors in Derby Line, Vermont.

THE REALITY is that there is ONE PERSON in the whole world who CAN FOR-SURE VERIFY all the dates that a particular individual enters and exits Canada. And that is the individual himself or herself.

There is one person, and only one person, who was for-sure there each and every time a PR left Canada and entered Canada. And that is the PR himself or herself.

For the vast, vast majority of citizenship applicants, IRCC will RELY on the applicant to provide this information, which again is information only that individual is in a position to for-sure have.

But of course IRCC makes a reasonable effort to check the accuracy of the individual applicant's account. Is the applicant's employment and address history consistent with this account? Are various documents, like the applicant's passport stamps, consistent with this account? Are other sources of information, like CBSA records of dates of entry into Canada, consistent with the applicant's account? And so on.

If the checks on the applicant's information verifies the accuracy of the applicant's information, and IRCC determines the applicant is CREDIBLE, IRCC relies on the applicant's presence calculation AND INFERS PRESENCE IN CANADA the days between reported entry and next reported exit.

If IRCC perceives a need to more thoroughly check the accuracy of the applicant's accounting of days, IRCC can request more information and documentation from the applicant, and also make inquiries or conduct investigations.

But make no mistake, that is less about establishing the applicant's account of presence, BUT RATHER more about verifying there are NO discrepancies, no inconsistencies, NO inaccuracies . . . that is, verifying there is NO REASON to DOUBT the applicant's CREDIBILITY.

If the one person in the whole world who can for-sure report each and every exit and entry can be relied on to do so accurately, IRCC will rely on that. If, in contrast, IRCC determines it cannot rely on that source, the applicant, IRCC gives the applicant an opportunity to more persuasively document actual presence: the full-blown RQ . . . if that is persuasive, citizenship is granted. If not, the applicant still gets an opportunity to appear before a Citizenship Judge and persuade the CJ that the evidence submitted does prove the applicant met the presence requirement.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
By the way: IRCC now explicitly recommends that PRs keep a "travel journal," and actually provides a pdf example PRs can print:

www.canada.ca/travel-journal

or

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/record-trips-outside-canada.html?_ga=2.42919584.488072581.1527960259-368886841.1364697752

It is about time. For the last decade or so I have been among others advocating that CIC/IRCC explicitly advise PRs they need to keep detailed records of travel dates. (Noting, again, that after all the PR is the ONLY person in the world who can keep a for-sure accurate and complete record of all entry and exit dates.)

Apparently this has been on the IRCC website since December, but I only recently came across it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Even when trying to remember the correct dates for travel it's possible to make mistakes.

I was challenged during my interview this week by the IRCC officer regarding a vacation trip that I made to Canada right at the very start of the eligibility period, before I even applied for PR. I had forgotten all about it but the CBSA entry report had it listed. It would have given me an extra 9.5 days of physical residency credit. (It was a 19 day visit).

Moral : start logging everything long before you actually apply for anything, wherever possible.