+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for passport

dragonheart

Feb 20, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am helping a friend who is applying under the Canadian Experience Class.

Long story, but my friend had to go back to China while the application was being processed. The just asked her to submit her passport for visa issuance, so this is wonderful!

However, the Canadian Immigration Website clearly states that they do not mail passports outside of Canada or the U.S.

We have sent an email asking for direction and suggested an alternative, that she can mail her passport to me and then I can mail it to Immigration; they send it back to my address, and then I mail it back to my friend in China. Is this a viable alternative?

We are now so close and we just want to overcome this last obstacle (hopefully) after many different small issues along the way.

I would appreciate anyone's input, or suggestions. If anyone that has experienced the same thing, I would like to hear how you resolved this issue.

Thanks so much!

Edit: just to note- the main office handling her application is in Buffalo. I am also curious in the scenario I suggested, would i send it to the same office, or the Fort Erie office as mentioned on the Website. sometimes these steps are not too clear...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You can mail it to Fort Erie(cheaper) or courier it to Buffalo. Please note that if you send it to Fort Erie, do not request a signature on delivery, as it is a mailbox and no one will be there to sign for it.

She can mail her passport to you for onward transmittance to Buffalo. It would be wise for her to include a signed letter giving you permission to do this. Others may be able to add more helpful hints.

dragonheart

Feb 20, 2012
Thank you 'bella :)

Do you think there is any issue in mailing a passport overseas? I know it is a risk any time you send anything, but...is a company such as FedEx secure in this kind of thing?

A good suggestion to draft a letter giving me permission to do this on her behalf. I had to send payment for prsc earlier in the process on her behalf as well.

Interested in more insight, until we get a response from the folks at Immigration...It is always something it seems! haa haa

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
As you said, mailing a passport overseas is always a risk. Is there a Chinese embassy in your city or can you call one in Canada? They may be able to provide more guidance.

dragonheart

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, there is a Chinese consulate in the city nearby where I live. Hopefully the folks at the immigration office will provide us with the appropriate direction quickly and this will save us a lot of wondering and worry. So close, yet so far...

As an aside, is this a bit of an issue for us because most people applying for this particular class are usually still in the country from which they applied? My friend's work permit ran out and they denied a visitor's visa, so she thought it was best to return to China and await the decision.

I appreciate all you suggestions SenioritaBella, and I'm sure she does too...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It's not an issue per se, just an inconvenience for you guys since you have to figure out how to get her passport to Buffalo. However, it is better she returned than overstay her visa/permit which will have opened up a whole new can of worms.:) Don't wait too long to act though and get in touch with the Chinese Embassy. Find out if it's possible for her passport to be transported with other diplomatic mail coming to Canada.

dragonheart

Feb 20, 2012
You're absolutely right. If was a tough decision to go back, but a necessary one in the long run. It is tough to face the reality that she may not be able to come back so it has been a tough year. Actually it has been about 1 year since she submitted her application.

Though we have 90 to get the passport to them, I don't want to waste too much time. Doing this invite's more obstacles. But we need to have a firm sound plan before we act. A good suggestion in having it sent to the Chinese embassy along with other mail. I will inquire about that, most definitely.

It is very heart-warming to know that others can help even in a small way to make her dream (and my wish) a reality. :)

Any other advice or suggestions will be most appreciated. I will keep you posted, as I hope it may help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Thanks again!