+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for passport after citizenship test from outside Canada

Hbeeb

Oct 11, 2021
Hi all,

I just did my citizenship test from outside Canada and recieved this request from IRCC a few days later:

"In order for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to continue the process of your
citizenship application, scanned copies or photos of all passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held
during your eligibility period are required. If you do not have a travel document or passport, please
provide an explanation.
1. For individuals who are currently ABROAD, please indicate the date that you left Canada
and the date that you expect to return to Canada.
2. For individuals who have RETURNED to Canada, please indicate the date that you left
Canada and submit proof of your return to Canada such as a flight itinerary and/or boarding
pass, a copy of your passport stamp showing that you re-entered Canada, etc.
3. For ALL individuals please also include the following:

A) Scanned copies or photos of ALL passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held
during your eligibility period.
Example
You signed your citizenship application on March 30, 2019. Your eligibility period is
March 30, 2014 to March 30, 2019.
You must provide a colour copy of each page, including blank pages.

B) Colour Photocopies of FRONT and BACK of Provincial Photo Identification (such
as a provincial ID card or driver’s license that has your photo, signature, and
current residential address).
Provincial Photo ID must be VALID.
If you have expired photo-ID or you do not own any photo-ID, please contact your
provincial motor license issuer for renewal of your Driver’s License, or Non-Driver
Photo ID card."

I moved back to the UK a few months ago and intend on flying back to Canada for my oath ceremony (prepared for a last minute trip) . Should I just be upfront about this, or will this likely cause issues? I am still well within my PR residency requirements.

Any advice/insights super appreciated!

Reactions: NxBxS

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi all,

I just did my citizenship test from outside Canada and recieved this request from IRCC a few days later:

"In order for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to continue the process of your
citizenship application, scanned copies or photos of all passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held
during your eligibility period are required. If you do not have a travel document or passport, please
provide an explanation.
1. For individuals who are currently ABROAD, please indicate the date that you left Canada
2. For individuals who have RETURNED to Canada, please indicate the date that you left
Canada and submit proof of your return to Canada such as a flight itinerary and/or boarding

A) Scanned copies or photos of ALL passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held
Example
You signed your citizenship application on March 30, 2019. Your eligibility period is

B) Colour Photocopies of FRONT and BACK of Provincial Photo Identification (such
If you have expired photo-ID or you do not own any photo-ID, please contact your
provincial motor license issuer for renewal of your Driver’s License, or Non-Driver
Photo ID card."

I moved back to the UK a few months ago and intend on flying back to Canada for my oath ceremony (prepared for a last minute trip) . Should I just be upfront about this, or will this likely cause issues? I am still well within my PR residency requirements.

You should be upfront about it, holding information back will complicate things...

felipeoxavier

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Hi all,

provide an explanation.

Example

Photo ID card."

Any updates on this?
I just received my test invite and am currently outside Canada.
Looking for people's feedbacks to see if I should return just to take my citizenship test.
Thanks!

Hbeeb

Oct 11, 2021
I did my test outside Canada no problem.
Sent off my passport pics as requested and told them I have moved out of Canada and intend on returning to take my oath ceremony.

They emailed back to ask me to resize the files but no response yet to me telling them I'm living outside Canada.

Test and background check marked as complete.

Hoping all is ok but just have to wait as always :)

Reactions: felipeoxavier

felipeoxavier

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Sent off my passport pics as requested and told them I have moved out of Canada and intend on returning to take my oath ceremony.

They emailed back to ask me to resize the files but no response yet to me telling them I'm living outside Canada.

Thanks for the feedback.
I ended up deciding to take my test in Canada just in case.
Hopefully it'll save me the trouble of having to do an interview or submit additional docs.
Hope it works out for you as well!

felipeoxavier

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
AL

Also, did you need to change your mailing address to one in the UK?

SagarP

Jan 27, 2017
I am in the same situation but in the USA. Similar to you, out of Canada indefinitely and will be going back for the oath ceremony (no issue with last minute trip either).

Have you had any issues? Any updates from IRCC?

Concerned this might cause delays/issues even though there is no law/restriction to leaving the country after citizenship application.

Appreciate your response.

Hbeeb

Oct 11, 2021
I had to do a citizenship interview via Teams, which was totally fine. Checked some dates/I screen-shared some flight confirmations and they just checked multiple times that I was definitely OK to fly back for my oath ceremony at short notice.

Everything was approved a few days after and now im just waiting on my oath invite :)

Reactions: SagarP

Neyomaa

Apr 1, 2021
I had to do a citizenship interview via Teams, which was totally fine. Checked some dates/I screen-shared some flight confirmations and they just checked multiple times that I was definitely OK to fly back for my oath ceremony at short notice.

Everything was approved a few days after and now im just waiting on my oath invite :)
Hi, just wondering if you have done your oath yet? If yes, did you receive the invitation while you were outside Canada? Thanks