+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for information on Health Insurance Options for ON and BC

sislam1

May 25, 2020
Hello friends with experience in this area! I am looking into the best possible pvt health insurance coverage for the first 3 months in Canada. I am aware that one has to wait 3 months before one can have the regular public health insurance such as OHIP. Is Ontario Blue Cross any good? I want to be safe and well covered. Also, what are the options for visiting parents?

Thank you very much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends with experience in this area! I am looking into the best possible pvt health insurance coverage for the first 3 months in Canada. I am aware that one has to wait 3 months before one can have the regular public health insurance such as OHIP. Is Ontario Blue Cross any good? I want to be safe and well covered. Also, what are the options for visiting parents?

Thank you very much!
Currently the 3 months is waived for OHIP due to covid but that will eventually end. In terms of emergency coverage go with a Canadian option. It is only emergency insurance so hopefully you won't need it. Read the fine print to see what is covered if you or your parents when they visit if they have preexisting conditions. Routine care is out of pocket. Canada has partial medicare so looking for a job that offers access to an extended benefit health plan is a good idea.

sislam1

May 25, 2020
Currently the 3 months is waived for OHIP due to covid but that will eventually end. In terms of emergency coverage go with a Canadian option. It is only emergency insurance so hopefully you won't need it. Read the fine print to see what is covered if you or your parents when they visit if they have preexisting conditions. Routine care is out of pocket. Canada has partial medicare so looking for a job that offers access to an extended benefit health plan is a good idea.
Thank you for your response.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver

Thank you very much!
Agreed with canuck78. Private health insurance would take care of the emergency medical costs in case you suddenly get sick or injured and, thus, need immediate medical attention (including a doctor's or ER visit, hospitalization, x-rays and tests, prescription drugs, etc. ). Any elective, routine or otherwise "non-emergency" procedures are not covered by such insurance.

Depending on the type of visa your parents have they would have a few options when it comes to medical coverage. If they apply for a Super Visa (at least for the first time), then they would be required to get insurance from a Canadian insurance company for 1 year with at least $100,000 coverage per person.

On the other hand, with a regular Visitor's visa, although they are not required to purchase insurance, it is still recommended to do so since they are responsible for any medical costs they may incur while visiting Canada. It is generally recommended to go with a Canadian option given the fact it is easier to get your bills paid for and within a shorter amount of time compared to a travel insurance from their home country.

If you are looking for possible options, you can check out and get an instant quote for most of the Canadian insurance options using the following link - Medical Insurance for Visitors to Canada.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Agreed with canuck78. Private health insurance would take care of the emergency medical costs in case you suddenly get sick or injured and, thus, need immediate medical attention (including a doctor's or ER visit, hospitalization, x-rays and tests, prescription drugs, etc. ). Any elective, routine or otherwise "non-emergency" procedures are not covered by such insurance.

Depending on the type of visa your parents have they would have a few options when it comes to medical coverage. If they apply for a Super Visa (at least for the first time), then they would be required to get insurance from a Canadian insurance company for 1 year with at least $100,000 coverage per person.

On the other hand, with a regular Visitor's visa, although they are not required to purchase insurance, it is still recommended to do so since they are responsible for any medical costs they may incur while visiting Canada. It is generally recommended to go with a Canadian option given the fact it is easier to get your bills paid for and within a shorter amount of time compared to a travel insurance from their home country.

If you are looking for possible options, you can check out and get an instant quote for most of the Canadian insurance options using the following link - Medical Insurance for Visitors to Canada.
It may not be required as you say, but it’s common sense