+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for in-person interview

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
Hey guys. My mom just got called for in-person interview next month at Scarborough office. Because of her age she does not need a citizenship test or language requirement. What would they ask an interview for? Any one can share their experience?

Are they still doing in person interviews?

She is a December 2022 applicant.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hey guys. My mom just got called for in-person interview next month at Scarborough office. Because of her age she does not need a citizenship test or language requirement. What would they ask an interview for? Any one can share their experience?

Perhaps I am missing something. You report your parent just got notice they are scheduled for an in-person interview and then ask: "Are they still doing in person interviews?" Errrr, obviously you can be among those who can report that yes, citizenship applicants may be called to attend an in-person interview.

For relevant IRCC information see: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html (When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.)

At that site it states:

During the interview, the citizenship official will:
  • give you the results of your test, if you had one
  • check your language skills, if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age
  • verify your application and original documents
  • ask any questions we may have about your application
  • make sure you meet all the requirements for citizenship

For most applicants who are test and language exempt, the interview is perfunctory and brief, and is largely about verifying the identity of the applicant, verifying the applicant is in Canada (and thus available to participate in taking the oath), and checking the applicant's original documents (passport, PR card, other ID), and verifying there are no prohibitions. Even for those who are not exempt from the language and test requirements, the interview is generally not much more than that, the verification of language done simply through the process of the casual questions attendant providing this basic information and presenting documents.

The interview can be more extensive and probing than that, even somewhat challenging, if IRCC perceives reason to question or doubt the applicant's information or otherwise has concerns the applicant was not in Canada as reported. Few should encounter this. But yes, more extensive questioning about where the PR was living, and what the PR was doing and where, during the five year "eligibility" period.

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
10-4! Thanks for the detailed answer. All I’ve been seeing on the forums are people getting virtual interviews. Which is why I was concerned about an in person one at their office. Scared that it’s something serious.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

They may:
  1. Check your language skills, if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age. In your mum's case since she is over 54, she can prove that with her DoB as per the passport
  2. Verify your application and original documents (Passports (within validity periods, stamps/visa), PR cards etc)
  3. Ask any questions we may have about your application
  4. Make sure you meet all the requirements for citizenship
There might be a surprise that IRCC may invite you to attend the citizenship ceremony right there after the interview.
it’s not a norm but it has happened with other applicants before.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/interview-with-citizenship-officer.792125/#post-10405792

diogosouza

Star Member
May 23, 2017
I also got IN PERSON interview request... how did yours go? I wonder if it's possible to ask for online instead....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I also got IN PERSON interview request... how did yours go? I wonder if it's possible to ask for online instead....
If they request in person then you need to do in person.

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
mine took 3 mins (maybe even less)...
What's your address?
Where do you work and how long for?
How many days did u spend on your last trip outside of Canada?

"Thanks sir.. I have no further questions.. Expect a Oath Ceremony notification within 4 months."

That;s all that happened for me Yesterday...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . and . . .

If they request in person then you need to do in person.
Any source? I received an in-person interview request yesterday and I wanna switch it to an online one.
So far anecdotal reporting has not indicated that IRCC will reschedule an in-person interview to be online. Applicable PDIs (Program Delivery Instructions) still refer to the in-person interview, as required, and specifically state that these events are only scheduled IN Canada; while the Covid-era work-around allowing interviews online continues to be used and appears likely to become a standard approach for some/many applicants, that is, a part of routine processing, so far IRCC has not published guidelines covering who or when online interviews will be utilized.

Of course it is possible to "ask" to be rescheduled for an online interview. It is possible to ask that the interview be waived.

Unless and until there is some credible reporting about successfully having an in-person interview rescheduled to be online, however, applicants should be prepared to attend such scheduled events. IRCC does allow rescheduling, at least once and at least for the same type of interview (in-person or online, as originally scheduled), but of course this will cause some delay and could trigger more screening, elevated scrutiny, and it is really important to recognize that multiple failures to attend a scheduled event can lead to the application being deemed abandoned, which has the same effect as denying the application.

If anyone has personal experience in how it goes requesting the rescheduling of an in-person interview to be online, please share some details about that . . . bare statements claiming to have done this might offer some indication it can be done, but to be helpful more detail about how it went is needed.

moden88

Star Member
May 11, 2020
. . . and . . .

So far anecdotal reporting has not indicated that IRCC will reschedule an in-person interview to be online. Applicable PDIs (Program Delivery Instructions) still refer to the in-person interview, as required, and specifically state that these events are only scheduled IN Canada; while the Covid-era work-around allowing interviews online continues to be used and appears likely to become a standard approach for some/many applicants, that is, a part of routine processing, so far IRCC has not published guidelines covering who or when online interviews will be utilized.

Of course it is possible to "ask" to be rescheduled for an online interview. It is possible to ask that the interview be waived.

Unless and until there is some credible reporting about successfully having an in-person interview rescheduled to be online, however, applicants should be prepared to attend such scheduled events. IRCC does allow rescheduling, at least once and at least for the same type of interview (in-person or online, as originally scheduled), but of course this will cause some delay and could trigger more screening, elevated scrutiny, and it is really important to recognize that multiple failures to attend a scheduled event can lead to the application being deemed abandoned, which has the same effect as denying the application.

If anyone has personal experience in how it goes requesting the rescheduling of an in-person interview to be online, please share some details about that . . . bare statements claiming to have done this might offer some indication it can be done, but to be helpful more detail about how it went is needed.
Hopefully you get your verification steps soon. I already did request notes from IRCC, CBSA, CRA, CIS today to see if there is any concerns about my application. Were you able to understand from the notes what kind of verification they need ?

tmomoh

Nov 22, 2017
. . . and . . .

Well, my request is rejected and I just bought my ticket from China to Canada. It's expensive.

Atique

Star Member
Nov 25, 2016
mine took 3 mins (maybe even less)...
What's your address?
Where do you work and how long for?
How many days did u spend on your last trip outside of Canada?

"Thanks sir.. I have no further questions.. Expect a Oath Ceremony notification within 4 months."

That;s all that happened for me Yesterday...
then how soon you got OATH invitation?