+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Request for Documentary Evidence of Residence in Canada"

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
What is a "Request for Documentary Evidence of Residence in Canada" form? Is this the same as an RQ? What does receiving one of these do to wait times after successfully passing the test?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where did you find it?

Looks like it's from the cover letters that come with RQ.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob476.asp (search for: Request for documentary evidence)

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
What is a "Request for Documentary Evidence of Residence in Canada" form? Is this the same as an RQ? What does receiving one of these do to wait times after successfully passing the test?
Yes, it is RQ. Did you get it on the test day? It sucks that you got it after passing the test.
up to 35 months to hear if you can go to oath or not (assuming you passed the test)
If you are lucky you get oath a year, if not...up to 35 months wait until they get back to you

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nguyentu2001 said:
Yes, it is RQ. Did you get it on the test day? It sucks that you got it after passing the test.
up to 35 months to hear if you can go to oath or not (assuming you passed the test)
If you are lucky you get oath a year, if not...up to 35 months wait until they get back to you
Form was given on the test day (not for me, but for someone else). Is it 35 months from the date they gave this form or 35 months from date of application? The person in question received a perfect score on the test. A PERFECT SCORE!

The officer specifically said, "This is not an RQ."

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Form was given on the test day (not for me, but for someone else). Is it 35 months from the date they gave this form or 35 months from date of application? The person in question received a perfect score on the test. A PERFECT SCORE!

Interesting, if it's not an RQ. It would mean some new recent development within CIC.

Actually, I've heard someone reported about a week ago that agents had started suggesting that applicants would receive documents request form, if any additional documents will be required. I took test at that office before that, and I didn't hear such announcement. Also, RQ form was renewed in Novemeber this year. So, maybe it's a new form to request some documents when full-blown RQ is not deemed necessary.

Can you get your hands on this form or its copy?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
EasyRider said:
Interesting, if it's not an RQ. It would mean some new recent development within CIC.

Actually, I've heard someone reported about a week ago that agents had started suggesting that applicants would receive documents request form, if any additional documents will be required. I took test at that office before that, and I didn't hear such announcement. Also, RQ form was renewed in Novemeber this year. So, maybe it's a new form to request some documents when full-blown RQ is not deemed necessary.

Can you get your hands on this form or its copy?
Perhaps, give me a bit and I'll see if I can take a look at it.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:

perfect score .....the test itself is from a very thin book to study, not rocket science ^_^ very nice job though, congrats! CIC wants to confirm residence based on documents you submitted not on your score.

35 months from the time you submitted your application. I think there are quite a few people from this forum got RQ on test date, and have been waiting for oath. Time range is from 1 year to more than 3 years after submitting RQ to get oath.

But it looks like it is not an RQ from what you heard from officer so maybe just some additional documents requested. Hopefully you get oath shortly

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Once again, it isn't me but for someone I know. Anyway, I am looking at the form. It has the address of the local office on the front left, with a file and case number on the right.

It says:

Subject: "Notice to Applicant--Request For Documentary Evidence of Your Residence in Canada"

"In order to assist Citizenship Judge (.........) please submit following documents." There is a generic list of things they may request including passports, rental agreements, employment records, original transcripts, notice of CRA assessment, provincial health clam summary, etc.

In this person's case the following were checked: Employment records, original transcripts, Notices of assessment.

The form is labeled at the bottom as CIT 0520 (10-2013) E--- Disponible en Francais-CIT 0520 F

I wasn't at the interview obviously, but according to the applicant the officer said something to the effect of: "This is not an RQ. An officer or a judge will review these documents. If they are not acceptable, you might get an RQ later. If its acceptable, you will be called for the oath." No time frame given.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to advise this person. Should they only provide the documents requested or send everything in the hopes of warding off a possible, "This is not acceptable, here is an RQ" six months from now--or will sending more documents only delay things even longer?

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Once again, it isn't me but for someone I know. Anyway, I am looking at the form. It has the address of the local office on the front left, with a file and case number on the right.

It says:

Subject: "Notice to Applicant--Request For Documentary Evidence of Your Residence in Canada"

"In order to assist Citizenship Judge (.........) please submit following documents." There is a generic list of things they may request including passports, rental agreements, employment records, original transcripts, notice of CRA assessment, provincial health clam summary, etc.

In this person's case the following were checked: Employment records, original transcripts, Notices of assessment.

The form is labeled at the bottom as CIT 0520 (10-2013) E--- Disponible en Francais-CIT 0520 F

I wasn't at the interview obviously, but according to the applicant the officer said something to the effect of: "This is not an RQ. An officer or a judge will review these documents. If they are not acceptable, you might get an RQ later. If its acceptable, you will be called for the oath." No time frame given.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to advise this person. Should they only provide the documents requested or send everything in the hopes of warding off a possible, "This is not acceptable, here is an RQ" six months from now--or will sending more documents only delay things even longer?
They have to provide everything listed on the letter and form. I received the same letter before, asking me to provide such documents. I got the letter before any test invitation. So far no test yet. It might be different on your friend's case. So she/he needs to fill in the form and submit documents asap. No one could tell you how long the wait will be. Could be a few months, could be 1 years and could be 4 years as for a few people in this forum. It all depends on your friends documents and luck.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for updating. Seems it's a new form added to CIC toolbox to allow not issuing a full blown RQ where issues may be answered by submitting a few documents, instead of boxed of documents and RQ.

Looks like an improvement in process.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
They have to provide everything listed on the letter and form. I received the same letter before, asking me to provide such documents. I got the letter before any test invitation. So far to test yet. It might be different on your friend's case. So she/he needs to fill in the form and submit documents asap. No one could tell you how long the wait will be. Could be a few months, could be 1 years and could be 4 years as for a few people in this forum. It all depends on your friends documents and luck.
RQ form is not CIT 0520 (10-2013) E, it's CIT 0171, so it's a different form that what you've got. Index alone (0520) suggests it's likely a new form introduced recently.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
EasyRider said:
Thanks for updating. Seems it's a new form added to CIC toolbox to allow not issuing a full blown RQ where issues may be answered by submitting a few documents, instead of boxed of documents and RQ.

Looks like an improvement in process.
Thanks for feedback. I think I will advise as following: submit documents they request, but also include provincial health summary as this is not an onerous document to get through and helps establish "centralizing mode of life" in Canada, etc. If haven't heard anything in four months, inquire of local office.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
One other thing about this case:

The applicant received the letter to appear for the test on the Thursday before a Tuesday test, so only five days notice. :(

access

Nov 14, 2009
Can you please send the scan pdf of CIT 0520 (10-2013) E and CIT 0171.. removing your personal details - case #, etc..
or any link from website

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
access said:
Can you please send the scan pdf of CIT 0520 (10-2013) E and CIT 0171.. removing your personal details - case #, etc..
or any link from website
Hmm, it might be hard since the form is hand written. I don't have CIT 0171, but I think you can find it online by googling "residence questionnaire."