+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for Additional Supplementary Evidence

A_A_A_85

Oct 19, 2014
Hi,

I did my citizenship test on June 13, 2019. Passed with 20/20 and everything was fine. In the interview the lady asked for translation of some stamps of my passports. Later on the day, she sent me an email titled: "Request for Additional Supplementary Evidence" where there was an attached letter with a list of stuff to provide. Is this something normal and expected. If yes, how long it takes to hear back for the oath and the ceremony.

Please share your experience if you encountered similar experience.

Thanks!

A.A.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hi,

I did my citizenship test on June 13, 2019. Passed with 20/20 and everything was fine. In the interview the lady asked for translation of some stamps of my passports. Later on the day, she sent me an email titled: "Request for Additional Supplementary Evidence" where there was an attached letter with a list of stuff to provide. Is this something normal and expected. If yes, how long it takes to hear back for the oath and the ceremony.

Thanks!

A.A.
Welcome to RQ and RQlite club. Was it CIT0520 that you received?

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Hi,

Thanks!

A.A.
I don't think there is much to worry about so relax. Can you please tell us
1) what documents did the officer ask for?
2) How long have you been in Canada (number of days)?
3)Have you been travelling extensively and to where?

Some of us will be able to provide a perspective on your situation if you provide the above information.

Reactions: A_A_A_85

A_A_A_85

Oct 19, 2014
I don't think there is much to worry about so relax. Can you please tell us
1) what documents did the officer ask for?
2) How long have you been in Canada (number of days)?
3)Have you been travelling extensively and to where?

Some of us will be able to provide a perspective on your situation if you provide the above information.

Thanks!
1) Please see below:
  • a) complete photocopy of all passport with translation done in Canada for all stamps
  • b) proof of all travels outside of Canada (flight tickets, itineraries, boarding passes, etc.)
  • c) proof of employment and/or education in Canada ( T4's, letters of offers, transcripts, attendance records, etc.)
2) 1106
3) Not much, I have been away 4 times during my eligibility period.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

A.A.

A_A_A_85

Oct 19, 2014
Welcome to RQ and RQlite club. Was it CIT0520 that you received?
What RQ and RQlite refer to? I don't think it's CIT0520. The email title is "Request for Additional Supplementary Evidence". The attached letter only says Request letter, with subject: Application for Canadian Citizenship. And then says, in order to continue processing your app, we require the following doc.s.

A.A.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
What RQ and RQlite refer to? I don't think it's CIT0520. The email title is "Request for Additional Supplementary Evidence". The attached letter only says Request letter, with subject: Application for Canadian Citizenship. And then says, in order to continue processing your app, we require the following doc.s.

A.A.
At the bottom, it says the form number CIT #... , every form has its number on the bottom. For example , CIT002E for citizenship application form for adults etc ..

It sounds like CIT0520 to me. That was I was requested to submit also.. T4 and etc, including credit and bank statements . Basically, they’re asking you to prove that you were living in Canada for the period that you claimed. You can search more about RQ in this forum.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

Thanks!

A.A.
There are numerous topics here which discuss RQ-related requests, procedures, and processing. There is in particular a topic specifically focused on this subject titled "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205," in which RQ related forms like CIT 0171 (full blown RQ) and CIT 0520 (often called RQ-lite) are discussed. See https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/

While that topic was started more than a year and a half ago, so some of it is dated, the discussion has continued to relatively recently. It may be worth perusing if you are indeed interested in accounts of "similar experience," since many who have gone through one or the other of these procedures have shared their experience there.

RQ-related requests are not limited to the CIT 0171 or CIT 0520 forms, but are sometimes made by letter-style requests. IF there is a formal form title and number in what you received, please share that along with a description of what documents were requested. This information helps the forum keep current (as much as practically possible) with ongoing RQ-related procedures and processing.

Statistically @vitoriaboy is probably correct in saying "I don't think there is much to worry about so relax."

But of course what actually happens in processing a citizenship application depends on the specifics of that case. Unlike a game of chance, in which the probabilities are what is known and thus best describe what will happen (like the odds are fifty-fifty that a roll of a die will come up an odd number), what will happen in processing your citizenship application depends not on the odds but on the facts and circumstances in your individual case.

Thus the queries posed by @vitoriaboy, which references some the key information which can have significant influence on how things go.

FAILING TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS RE PROVIDING PROPERLY AUTHENTICATED TRANSLATION OF PASSPORT STAMPS:

There is NO reason to worry about the failure to follow the instructions in not providing a translation of passport stamps when you appeared for the test and PI Interview. Many applicants appear to overlook the fact that the instructions to provide a properly authenticated translation applies to passport stamps, so IRCC is accustomed to this and does not summarily reject the application for failing to do so, but rather will provide applicants an opportunity to fix it . . . as IRCC has provided you such an opportunity to correct the error.

Many applicants also deliberately proceed to the interview without a properly authenticated translation, as I personally did myself, if they are confident that IRCC will not have a problem with it, such as where there are only a few stamps with information not in one of the official languages and the stamps are easily understood without a translation, a practice reinforced by anecdotal accounts revealing that IRCC has, indeed, often NOT required the translation from applicants (from those who fail to follow the instructions to provide one), which was in fact my own experience.

In any event, failing to follow the instructions in this regard is NOT penalized. For many there is NO impact, no delay in processing at all (as in my experience; indeed I took the oath less than 48 hours after my interview). Even for most who IRCC requires to provide a translation, the only impact of this failure is a brief delay in processing the application due to the time involved in getting and submitting a translation, plus whatever additional time in queue this adds.

That said, the failure to bring a translation to the interview can be one factor among others that, in combination with other factors, elevates concerns about the applicant's actual physical presence calculation. (And of course the failure to follow instructions does not make the best impression.) While there are many different scenarios in which this may influence a decision to make RQ-related requests for additional information and documents, the most obvious and probably common one is when the applicant has numerous such stamps and a somewhat complicated travel history in conjunction with a relatively small margin over the minimum (less than a month's margin).

PROCESSING TIMELINE:

There is wide, wide variability in the processing timeline even for routinely processed applications. Thus, for example, even though typically there is only a brief delay in processing if the applicant is required to submit a translation of passport stamps after the interview, how long it will be to when there is a Decision Made and the oath scheduled can and often will vary by many months . . . some scheduled for the oath within a month or three, some not scheduled for the oath for more than an additional six or eight or more months.

The prospective timeline for applicants who get RQ-related requests varies even more widely than that, and generally ranges from significantly longer to potentially a lot, lot longer. That said, some who are issued the CIT 0520 RQ-lite, or even less intrusive requests by letter, have proceeded to the oath in only a few months after submitting their response to the requests.

This goes back to the questions posed by @vitoriaboy, which again reference some key information which can have significant influence on how things go. This is mostly about the nature of concerns or questions the processing agent or Citizenship Officer has and how well the requested documents can resolve those concerns or questions. There are some forum participants for whom this process is dragging on approaching two years. In the past, there were RQ/Residency cases which dragged on for three and four years.

Probably NO NEED to worry about it dragging on anywhere near that long . . . again, what matters in this regard are the particular details in YOUR specific situation. Qualified applicants who made a proper and complete application, who provide the additional information and documents requested timely, who know of no reason why IRCC should have concerns, let alone suspicions, about the completeness and accuracy of the submitted Presence Calculation, will likely proceed through the process with relatively little delay. There are exceptions of course. And if there are reasons for concern, for doubt about the completeness or accuracy of the Presence Calculation, or otherwise concerns that the applicant might not have met the presence requirement, then the processing timeline is at RISK for going longer or much longer.

Generally an applicant should have NO reason to worry about the ultimate outcome UNLESS the applicant knows (or should know, recognizing there tends to be a fair amount of ignoring reality among some) there is a reason to question his or her actual physical presence.

Again, to see a range of personal experiences involving RQ related requests from citizenship applicants, peruse posts in the topic titled "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205" at https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/

Last edited:
Reactions: k300k3

A_A_A_85

Oct 19, 2014
At the bottom, it says the form number CIT #... , every form has its number on the bottom. For example , CIT002E for citizenship application form for adults etc ..

It sounds like CIT0520 to me. That was I was requested to submit also.. T4 and etc, including credit and bank statements . Basically, they’re asking you to prove that you were living in Canada for the period that you claimed. You can search more about RQ in this forum.
Thanks!
There is nothing written as CIT # or any other kind of codes in the letter nor in the email.

A_A_A_85

Oct 19, 2014
There are numerous topics here which discuss RQ-related requests, procedures, and processing. There is in particular a topic specifically focused on this subject titled "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205," in which RQ related forms like CIT 0171 (full blown RQ) and CIT 0520 (often called RQ-lite) are discussed. See https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/

While that topic was started more than a year and a half ago, so some of it is dated, the discussion has continued to relatively recently. It may be worth perusing if you are indeed interested in accounts of "similar experience," since many who have gone through one or the other of these procedures have shared their experience there.

RQ-related requests are not limited to the CIT 0171 or CIT 0520 forms, but are sometimes made by letter-style requests. IF there is a formal form title and number in what you received, please share that along with a description of what documents were requested. This information helps the forum keep current (as much as practically possible) with ongoing RQ-related procedures and processing.

Statistically @vitoriaboy is probably correct in saying "I don't think there is much to worry about so relax."

But of course what actually happens in processing a citizenship application depends on the specifics of that case. Unlike a game of chance, in which the probabilities are what is known and thus best describe what will happen (like the odds are fifty-fifty that a roll of a die will come up an odd number), what will happen in processing your citizenship application depends not on the odds but on the facts and circumstances in your individual case.

Thus the queries posed by @vitoriaboy, which references some the key information which can have significant influence on how things go.

FAILING TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS RE PROVIDING PROPERLY AUTHENTICATED TRANSLATION OF PASSPORT STAMPS:

There is NO reason to worry about the failure to follow the instructions in not providing a translation of passport stamps when you appeared for the test and PI Interview. Many applicants appear to overlook the fact that the instructions to provide a properly authenticated translation applies to passport stamps, so IRCC is accustomed to this and does not summarily reject the application for failing to do so, but rather will provide applicants an opportunity to fix it . . . as IRCC has provided you such an opportunity to correct the error.

Many applicants also deliberately proceed to the interview without a properly authenticated translation, as I personally did myself, if they are confident that IRCC will not have a problem with it, such as where there are only a few stamps with information not in one of the official languages and the stamps are easily understood without a translation, a practice reinforced by anecdotal accounts revealing that IRCC has, indeed, often NOT required the translation from applicants (from those who fail to follow the instructions to provide one), which was in fact my own experience.

In any event, failing to follow the instructions in this regard is NOT penalized. For many there is NO impact, no delay in processing at all (as in my experience; indeed I took the oath less than 48 hours after my interview). Even for most who IRCC requires to provide a translation, the only impact of this failure is a brief delay in processing the application due to the time involved in getting and submitting a translation, plus whatever additional time in queue this adds.

That said, the failure to bring a translation to the interview can be one factor among others that, in combination with other factors, elevates concerns about the applicant's actual physical presence calculation. (And of course the failure to follow instructions does not make the best impression.) While there are many different scenarios in which this may influence a decision to make RQ-related requests for additional information and documents, the most obvious and probably common one is when the applicant has numerous such stamps and a somewhat complicated travel history in conjunction with a relatively small margin over the minimum (less than a month's margin).

PROCESSING TIMELINE:

There is wide, wide variability in the processing timeline even for routinely processed applications. Thus, for example, even though typically there is only a brief delay in processing if the applicant is required to submit a translation of passport stamps after the interview, how long it will be to when there is a Decision Made and the oath scheduled can and often will vary by many months . . . some scheduled for the oath within a month or three, some not scheduled for the oath for more than an additional six or eight or more months.

The prospective timeline for applicants who get RQ-related requests varies even more widely than that, and generally ranges from significantly longer to potentially a lot, lot longer. That said, some who are issued the CIT 0520 RQ-lite, or even less intrusive requests by letter, have proceeded to the oath in only a few months after submitting their response to the requests.

This goes back to the questions posed by @vitoriaboy, which again reference some key information which can have significant influence on how things go. This is mostly about the nature of concerns or questions the processing agent or Citizenship Officer has and how well the requested documents can resolve those concerns or questions. There are some forum participants for whom this process is dragging on approaching two years. In the past, there were RQ/Residency cases which dragged on for three and four years.

Probably NO NEED to worry about it dragging on anywhere near that long . . . again, what matters in this regard are the particular details in YOUR specific situation. Qualified applicants who made a proper and complete application, who provide the additional information and documents requested timely, who know of no reason why IRCC should have concerns, let alone suspicions, about the completeness and accuracy of the submitted Presence Calculation, will likely proceed through the process with relatively little delay. There are exceptions of course. And if there are reasons for concern, for doubt about the completeness or accuracy of the Presence Calculation, or otherwise concerns that the applicant might not have met the presence requirement, then the processing timeline is at RISK for going longer or much longer.

Generally an applicant should have NO reason to worry about the ultimate outcome UNLESS the applicant knows (or should know, recognizing there tends to be a fair amount of ignoring reality among some) there is a reason to question his or her actual physical presence.

Again, to see a range of personal experiences involving RQ related requests from citizenship applicants, peruse posts in the topic titled "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205" at https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/
Thank you so much for the detailed replay. From what I received (email and letter), there is no mentioning to CIT # or any other code.
The docs that they requested are the following:
  • a) complete photocopy of all passport with translation done in Canada for all stamps
  • b) proof of all travels outside of Canada (flight tickets, itineraries, boarding passes, etc.)
  • c) proof of employment and/or education in Canada ( T4's, letters of offers, transcripts, attendance records, etc.)

I hope everything goes fine. I am pretty sure that I have never violated anything that could jeopardizes my application (I am still hopeful :)).

A.A.