+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reporting foreign income for tax

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
hello,
I recently landed in canada. got my pr card.
how long do I have to stay every year to maintain my residency and at the same time not get taxed on my foreign income ?

and are there any other obligations I should consider, so I wouldnt have to file my foreign income for taxes.
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you single? Have partner/children in Canada? Do you own property in Canada? Have any form of financial or other ties to Canada? You have to meet the 2 years out of 5 to keep you PR status. There are also residency obligations for you to qualify for things like healthcare. Based on your plans to try and avoid paying taxes you wouldn't likely qualify to use any healthcare. Why do you want to maintain PR in Canada? What is the end goal?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you live in Canada for 5 months per year in the coming 5 year period, then perhaps you can maintain your permanent residency and at the same time not taxed on your foreign income.

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
Are you single? Have partner/children in Canada? Do you own property in Canada? Have any form of financial or other ties to Canada? You have to meet the 2 years out of 5 to keep you PR status. There are also residency obligations for you to qualify for things like healthcare. Based on your plans to try and avoid paying taxes you wouldn't likely qualify to use any healthcare. Why do you want to maintain PR in Canada? What is the end goal?
hey Canuck. thanks for your reply. and sorry if im taking a little bit of your time.
answering your questions, no I dont have any primary or secondary ties in canada at all. and in the mean time im not looking to qualify for healthcare. I will explain my situation quickly.
im currently working outside of canada, will be quitting my job after 5 years. so im planning to move permanently to canada after 5 years or so.
so in the mean time..I want to maintain my residency in canada,,without paying taxes on my foreign income...till I move to canada permanently after 5 years. I hope you understand what im trying to explain to you.

so im planning to staying canada 5months each year for the next 5 years. ( that case I will stay less than 183 days per year, so I will be declared a non citizen and hence I wont have to pay taxes on foreign income ) and at the same time ( will meet my 2 year requirement to renew my pr card after 5 years).
will that work ?

also I wanted to ask you something else, if I decide to work in canada for those 5 months I plan to stay each year, I know I will have to pay taxes on that income I earn in canada, but will that affect whether I have to pay taxes on my foreign income or not ? or at least will I have to report it ?

thanks a lot one again for your time and precious advice.
arctur.

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
If you live in Canada for 5 months per year in the coming 5 year period, then perhaps you can maintain your permanent residency and at the same time not taxed on your foreign income.
yes im planning to do that. but why perhaps, is it not certain ?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
yes im planning to do that. but why perhaps, is it not certain ?
Because the determination of whether you will be taxed in Canada or not depends on much more than just how long you spend here per year. You can not come to Canada for a single day and still be considered a tax resident if you have other strong ties to the country.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
hey Canuck. thanks for your reply. and sorry if im taking a little bit of your time.
answering your questions, no I dont have any primary or secondary ties in canada at all. and in the mean time im not looking to qualify for healthcare. I will explain my situation quickly.
im currently working outside of canada, will be quitting my job after 5 years. so im planning to move permanently to canada after 5 years or so.
so in the mean time..I want to maintain my residency in canada,,without paying taxes on my foreign income...till I move to canada permanently after 5 years. I hope you understand what im trying to explain to you.

so im planning to staying canada 5months each year for the next 5 years. ( that case I will stay less than 183 days per year, so I will be declared a non citizen and hence I wont have to pay taxes on foreign income ) and at the same time ( will meet my 2 year requirement to renew my pr card after 5 years).
will that work ?

also I wanted to ask you something else, if I decide to work in canada for those 5 months I plan to stay each year, I know I will have to pay taxes on that income I earn in canada, but will that affect whether I have to pay taxes on my foreign income or not ? or at least will I have to report it ?

thanks a lot one again for your time and precious advice.
arctur.
In a nutshell you want to be tax resident in Canada for 5 months a year, for 5 years, until you completely move here? The logistics of making that happen would be very difficult. For the time you are here you will probably be renting and opening a bank account to receive your paycheque etc. It is more than likely that the CRA will deem you a resident even for the time you are not here and you will be liable for tax on your worldwide income for the whole year.

Now that you have become a PR it is time to make the hard decision about whether you want to move and live in Canada, preferably within the next two years, or remain in your home country. Trying to do both will jeopardize your PR status in the long term.

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
In a nutshell you want to be tax resident in Canada for 5 months a year, for 5 years, until you completely move here? The logistics of making that happen would be very difficult. For the time you are here you will probably be renting and opening a bank account to receive your paycheque etc. It is more than likely that the CRA will deem you a resident even for the time you are not here and you will be liable for tax on your worldwide income for the whole year.

Now that you have become a PR it is time to make the hard decision about whether you want to move and live in Canada, preferably within the next two years, or remain in your home country. Trying to do both will jeopardize your PR status in the long term.
im staying with my brother in canada. so im not renting ,and Im not planning of opening any bank accounts or have any ties here in the mean time. I will just stay 5 months each year for 5 years to fulfill the 2 year residency requirement. How will I be jeopardizing my PR status ? I dont understand.. can I fulfil my 2 year requirement and still get rejected for residency renewal ? whats the reason..please elaborate more..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
im staying with my brother in canada. so im not renting ,and Im not planning of opening any bank accounts or have any ties here in the mean time. I will just stay 5 months each year for 5 years to fulfill the 2 year residency requirement. How will I be jeopardizing my PR status ? I dont understand.. can I fulfil my 2 year requirement and still get rejected for residency renewal ? whats the reason..please elaborate more..
why perhaps, is it not certain ?
Beyond the general observations already offered, including cautions about potentially being confronted with personal priority decisions, such as whether to risk losing PR status in order to avoid taxation, your questions are more complicated and more individual fact specific than can be reasonably answered in a forum like this.

Hypothetically it is possible for an individual to never establish residency for tax purposes in Canada and still keep PR status. In practical terms, however, there are all sorts of RISKS and PITFALLS looming, on both accounts, relative to meeting the PR Residency Obligation and keeping status, and relative to taxation obligations.

Beyond describing some of the RISKS and CONTINGENCIES and potential pitfalls rather generally, NO ONE HERE can offer any in-depth, reliable opinion or advice about how to navigate according to your objectives. There are way, way, way too many variables and contingencies involved.

The Longer Explanation:

First, regarding relationship between residency for tax purposes and PR obligations (residency for tax purposes can trigger an obligation to pay Canada tax on worldwide income; at the least, it requires reporting worldwide income):

Residency for tax purposes is a relevant factor when IRCC weighs evidence of presence in Canada in the process of a PR Residency Obligation determination. It is just one factor, among many factors. There is NO tax filing let alone tax paying requirement imposed on an individual just by virtue of that individual's PR status.

BUT of course when a person has not been a resident of Canada for tax purposes for five years that is a fairly strong reason to question if not outright suspect the individual has not been present in Canada enough to meet the minimum PR Residency Obligation. It clearly indicates the individual has NOT established or maintained a primary residence in Canada. Thus, it is an almost for-sure indicator the individual has not done what Canada expects of PRs. Since the purpose of granting PR status is so the individual can and will settle and live PERMANENTLY in Canada, the absence of residency for tax purposes tends to SHOUT cause to doubt the PR's accounting of presence in Canada.

To be clear: a PR can indeed spend, on an average, just 150 days a year present in Canada, and NOT be a resident for tax purposes in any year, and nonetheless be in compliance with the PR RO. And so long as the PR satisfactorily PROVES, to CBSA (in any PoE examination as to RO compliance) and IRCC (in any PR card, PR Travel Document, or other RO examination), that he or she has in fact met the minimum RO, that should suffice. Some serious emphasis on that "should" is warranted.

In particular, some rather big, looming contingencies underlie that "so long as the PR proves . . . sufficient presence."

As I have oft emphasized, cutting-it-close has RISKS. Anything less than half the time in Canada is cutting-it-close (thus, less than 900 days in five years is cutting-it-close). Less than half the time spent in Canada means it would be reasonable to infer any day not documented as present in Canada is at least possibly (and perhaps likely) a day spent where the individual spent most of the time: OUTSIDE CANADA.

For a person not employed in Canada, not renting or owning a home in Canada, with minimal residential ties in Canada, it could be difficult to PROVE days in-between a known date of entry and the next known date of exit were all spent in Canada.

Most of the time and in most contexts, PRs benefit from a favouable inference of presence in Canada between known entry dates and next known exit dates. In contrast, PRs who are cutting-it-close or who otherwise do not appear to have settled in Canada, who appear to not have established primary residence in Canada, may encounter some difficulty proving all those in-between days.

PR status is also relevant when CRA evaluates an individual's residency for tax purposes:

While immigration status is relevant when CRA evaluates whether a particular individual is a "resident" for tax purposes, this is just one evidentiary factor among many, many others. Generally no one factor will determine tax-residency.

As I have observed elsewhere, remember Canada has treaties with many countries regarding taxation related obligations of citizens and residents of the respective countries. Thus, one particularly dominant factor is whether the individual is recognized as having tax-residence in a country that has a treaty with Canada governing tax filing and tax paying obligations for the respective countries.

Thus, trying to answer your questions in the abstract is largely a waste of effort. To even approach answering your questions, it is necessary to determine whether the country which is the source of your income has a treaty with Canada and have some idea what that means for a person who is a resident of and has income from that country.

Apart from that, even if it is a country which does not have a treaty with Canada, the individual's BONA FIDE residency in another country can also be a key factor.

Thus, for example, if a person spends 183 or more days in Canada, that may support a presumption of residency for tax purposes, EXCEPT that bona fide residency for tax purposes in another country which is also the source of the income may be enough to establish the individual is NOT a resident of Canada for tax purposes. This is more certain for countries with tax treaties (many such treaties specifically provide that a person who is a resident of one country for tax purposes is presumed to NOT be a resident for tax purposes of the other country).

In contrast, just because an individual spends less than 183 days per year in Canada does NOT automatically or conclusively establish the individual is NOT a resident for tax purposes. As others have noted, there are other factors which can lead CRA to conclude the person is a resident for tax purposes.

It gets complicated. Nature and source of the income matters. Earned income is different from other types of income. Payment of taxes on the income to another country can have a big impact. And, thus, non-payment of taxes to another country can have an impact.

Issues related to where the income is earned can arise in contrast to the source country (for example: all my income comes from and is paid to me OUTSIDE Canada, but it is all deemed earned in Canada, and thus taxable in Canada).

In other words: your agenda demands specialized planning contingent on many specific facts and circumstance peculiar to your situation, depending on a number of future contingencies, and thus is well beyond the scope of what can be reliably answered in a forum like this.

THAT SAID, it is easy to recognize there are looming RISKS and PITFALLS in your plan. The hypothetical plan probably sounds a lot better in your head than it will play out in real time in the real world. As others have emphasized: a plan which delays making the full move to Canada for two or three years is more practical, a necessary course to pursue for many, but a plan which postpones settling in Canada much beyond that is prone to risks and pitfalls. Be aware that this forum is full of tales of woe told by PRs who had the postpone-settlement-for-two-to-three-years plan, but contingencies in real life intervened and things did not turn out all that well.

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
Beyond the general observations already offered, including cautions about potentially being confronted with personal priority decisions, such as whether to risk losing PR status in order to avoid taxation, your questions are more complicated and more individual fact specific than can be reasonably answered in a forum like this.

Hypothetically it is possible for an individual to never establish residency for tax purposes in Canada and still keep PR status. In practical terms, however, there are all sorts of RISKS and PITFALLS looming, on both accounts, relative to meeting the PR Residency Obligation and keeping status, and relative to taxation obligations.

Beyond describing some of the RISKS and CONTINGENCIES and potential pitfalls rather generally, NO ONE HERE can offer any in-depth, reliable opinion or advice about how to navigate according to your objectives. There are way, way, way too many variables and contingencies involved.

The Longer Explanation:

First, regarding relationship between residency for tax purposes and PR obligations (residency for tax purposes can trigger an obligation to pay Canada tax on worldwide income; at the least, it requires reporting worldwide income):

Residency for tax purposes is a relevant factor when IRCC weighs evidence of presence in Canada in the process of a PR Residency Obligation determination. It is just one factor, among many factors. There is NO tax filing let alone tax paying requirement imposed on an individual just by virtue of that individual's PR status.

BUT of course when a person has not been a resident of Canada for tax purposes for five years that is a fairly strong reason to question if not outright suspect the individual has not been present in Canada enough to meet the minimum PR Residency Obligation. It clearly indicates the individual has NOT established or maintained a primary residence in Canada. Thus, it is an almost for-sure indicator the individual has not done what Canada expects of PRs. Since the purpose of granting PR status is so the individual can and will settle and live PERMANENTLY in Canada, the absence of residency for tax purposes tends to SHOUT cause to doubt the PR's accounting of presence in Canada.

To be clear: a PR can indeed spend, on an average, just 150 days a year present in Canada, and NOT be a resident for tax purposes in any year, and nonetheless be in compliance with the PR RO. And so long as the PR satisfactorily PROVES, to CBSA (in any PoE examination as to RO compliance) and IRCC (in any PR card, PR Travel Document, or other RO examination), that he or she has in fact met the minimum RO, that should suffice. Some serious emphasis on that "should" is warranted.

In particular, some rather big, looming contingencies underlie that "so long as the PR proves . . . sufficient presence."

As I have oft emphasized, cutting-it-close has RISKS. Anything less than half the time in Canada is cutting-it-close (thus, less than 900 days in five years is cutting-it-close). Less than half the time spent in Canada means it would be reasonable to infer any day not documented as present in Canada is at least possibly (and perhaps likely) a day spent where the individual spent most of the time: OUTSIDE CANADA.

For a person not employed in Canada, not renting or owning a home in Canada, with minimal residential ties in Canada, it could be difficult to PROVE days in-between a known date of entry and the next known date of exit were all spent in Canada.

Most of the time and in most contexts, PRs benefit from a favouable inference of presence in Canada between known entry dates and next known exit dates. In contrast, PRs who are cutting-it-close or who otherwise do not appear to have settled in Canada, who appear to not have established primary residence in Canada, may encounter some difficulty proving all those in-between days.

PR status is also relevant when CRA evaluates an individual's residency for tax purposes:

While immigration status is relevant when CRA evaluates whether a particular individual is a "resident" for tax purposes, this is just one evidentiary factor among many, many others. Generally no one factor will determine tax-residency.

As I have observed elsewhere, remember Canada has treaties with many countries regarding taxation related obligations of citizens and residents of the respective countries. Thus, one particularly dominant factor is whether the individual is recognized as having tax-residence in a country that has a treaty with Canada governing tax filing and tax paying obligations for the respective countries.

Thus, trying to answer your questions in the abstract is largely a waste of effort. To even approach answering your questions, it is necessary to determine whether the country which is the source of your income has a treaty with Canada and have some idea what that means for a person who is a resident of and has income from that country.

Apart from that, even if it is a country which does not have a treaty with Canada, the individual's BONA FIDE residency in another country can also be a key factor.

Thus, for example, if a person spends 183 or more days in Canada, that may support a presumption of residency for tax purposes, EXCEPT that bona fide residency for tax purposes in another country which is also the source of the income may be enough to establish the individual is NOT a resident of Canada for tax purposes. This is more certain for countries with tax treaties (many such treaties specifically provide that a person who is a resident of one country for tax purposes is presumed to NOT be a resident for tax purposes of the other country).

In contrast, just because an individual spends less than 183 days per year in Canada does NOT automatically or conclusively establish the individual is NOT a resident for tax purposes. As others have noted, there are other factors which can lead CRA to conclude the person is a resident for tax purposes.

It gets complicated. Nature and source of the income matters. Earned income is different from other types of income. Payment of taxes on the income to another country can have a big impact. And, thus, non-payment of taxes to another country can have an impact.

Issues related to where the income is earned can arise in contrast to the source country (for example: all my income comes from and is paid to me OUTSIDE Canada, but it is all deemed earned in Canada, and thus taxable in Canada).

In other words: your agenda demands specialized planning contingent on many specific facts and circumstance peculiar to your situation, depending on a number of future contingencies, and thus is well beyond the scope of what can be reliably answered in a forum like this.

THAT SAID, it is easy to recognize there are looming RISKS and PITFALLS in your plan. The hypothetical plan probably sounds a lot better in your head than it will play out in real time in the real world. As others have emphasized: a plan which delays making the full move to Canada for two or three years is more practical, a necessary course to pursue for many, but a plan which postpones settling in Canada much beyond that is prone to risks and pitfalls. Be aware that this forum is full of tales of woe told by PRs who had the postpone-settlement-for-two-to-three-years plan, but contingencies in real life intervened and things did not turn out all that well.[/QUOT

wow, I had no idea about this tax treaty issue. this would solve all my problems. the whole reason for me trying not to be a tax resident in canada is to avoid paying taxes in canada, on my income from Algeria.
I am a resident of Algeria, and I just read the Algeria has a tax treaty with canada.
I pay taxes in Algeria on my income .
does that mean I do not have to pay taxes in Canada from that income I earn In Algeria ( because I already paid taxes on it in Algeria) ?

is that what a tax treaty means ?? please explain.
if yes, then my problem is solved.

I will have no problem being considered a tax resident in canada, because I wont be taxed on my income from Algeria because im already getting taxed on it in Algeria.
did I understand everything right ?
please explain to me...you've been sooo helpful to me so far in understanding things..

arctur

Jun 23, 2018
wow, I had no idea about this tax treaty issue. this would solve all my problems. the whole reason for me trying not to be a tax resident in canada is to avoid paying taxes in canada, on my income from Algeria.
I am a resident of Algeria, and I just read the Algeria has a tax treaty with canada.
does that mean I do not have to pay taxes in Canada from that income I earn In Algeria ( because I already paid taxes on it in Algeria) ?

I will have no problem being considered a tax resident in canada, because I wont be taxed on my income from Algeria because im already getting taxed on it in Algeria.
please explain to me...you've been sooo helpful to me so far in understanding things..

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

It doesn't mean that you do not have to pay tax in Canada. Depending on how much you made and how high is income tax rate in Algeria. Once you filed you income tax in Canada, you will find out how much tax you are supposed to pay. The tax you paid in Algeria will be "credit" on that return.
So if Canada has higher tax rate (which is usually the case), you will pay the difference to Canada. (i.e. you will pay gov of Canada -> Canada tax $ owing - Algeria tax $paid)

I have done so for my US income before. I used an accountant to file my tax.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

You may have overlooked or underestimated key observations I made in my previous post:

Seriously, your questions are beyond the scope of what anyone here can answer reliably . . . again, other than to caution about the RISKS and, as perhaps suggested by @YVR123, advise obtaining the assistance of qualified professionals. For the tax filing and payment questions, an accountant could help BUT it might require accountants certified and experienced in both countries. (I think it is safe to say that MOST accountants are NOT sufficiently experienced to adequately provide services for individuals with international taxation issues; just finding the right accountant can require a concerted effort, and it is important to do this.)

Note, for example, the tax treaties vary from country to country, including particular provisions governing deductions and credits and how they apply in the respective countries. Tax filing and payment obligations vary considerably from country to country. It can be very complicated. Failing to get it right could be, well, rather costly.

That said, for the tax filing and payment side of the equation, it actually can be relatively simple or it can get very complicated. At the simple end, depending on the facts and the respective tax rules in each country, if residency for tax purposes and source of income are situated in the other country, and there is NO Canadian source income, it could be that there is NO obligation to even file a return in Canada, which would make things quite simple. BUT of course it might NOT be so simple to figure out this is the situation. And I would NOT trust any opinion about this by any of us here (especially NOT me, as I am for sure NOT a reliable source for information about tax filing obligations, even if I know enough to recognize what I do not know and have a grasp of what else needs to be known).

In any event, again, the hypothetical plan is rife with RISKS and PITFALLS. If keeping PR status is a priority, it would be prudent to conscientiously, carefully re-evaluate the plan and seriously consider revising the timeline.