+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Replacing passport before applying for PGWP, with study permit expiring in 3 months?

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry this probably should be obvious but I just want some advice.

-I'm from the Netherlands (which allows the replacing of your passport even if not approaching the expiry date yet) and have lived in Canada for 3 years as a full-time international student, complying with all conditions and PGWP eligible. I just graduated.

-It will take my university approximately 3-4 more weeks to confirm that I have finished all program requirements and to issue such a letter+transcript for me to even be able to apply for a PGWP and work again. For the first time in a while I have a lot of free time.

-By the time a PGWP will likely be issued and in my passport (not talking implied status) there won't be 3 years left on my passport (July 2026 is the expiry) so the PGWP won't be 3 years in length.
-While I hope to have PR or apply for a BOWP much sooner (I speak French), I don't want to again potentially be on implied status just to get a final 3-4 months of PGWP due to something like a passport expiry date.

So my main question is, imagine I get an appointment next week and my passport is replaced before the 3-4 weeks and I apply for a PGWP with a new passport. Will I still get implied status or do I need to restore student status in the first place before applying for the PGWP? Will I even stay legal in Canada if I replace my passport right now?

I also want to avoid flagpoling because I actually like the time on implied status in which I'm allowed to work.

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry this probably should be obvious but I just want some advice.

-I'm from the Netherlands (which allows the replacing of your passport even if not approaching the expiry date yet) and have lived in Canada for 3 years as a full-time international student, complying with all conditions and PGWP eligible. I just graduated.

-It will take my university approximately 3-4 more weeks to confirm that I have finished all program requirements and to issue such a letter+transcript for me to even be able to apply for a PGWP and work again. For the first time in a while I have a lot of free time.

-By the time a PGWP will likely be issued and in my passport (not talking implied status) there won't be 3 years left on my passport (July 2026 is the expiry) so the PGWP won't be 3 years in length.
-While I hope to have PR or apply for a BOWP much sooner (I speak French), I don't want to again potentially be on implied status just to get a final 3-4 months of PGWP due to something like a passport expiry date.

So my main question is, imagine I get an appointment next week and my passport is replaced before the 3-4 weeks and I apply for a PGWP with a new passport. Will I still get implied status or do I need to restore student status in the first place before applying for the PGWP? Will I even stay legal in Canada if I replace my passport right now?

I also want to avoid flagpoling because I actually like the time on implied status in which I'm allowed to work.
Also the Netherlands participates in the ETA program so a TRV is not an issue for me, I don't require one.

sandymarcus

Star Member
Nov 19, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
If you can receive your passport sooner than your Student visa expiry date and if you successfully make an application for PGWP, this is what Implied Status is. And you are in a good place, regardless of the decision of the WP(It is going to be positive anyway).

Going by your 3 years thing, you will get a WP for sure. Therefore you got nothing to worry about.

1. Apply for a passport (renewal) - Only if you can get it back in time to apply for PGWP.
2. Apply for PGWP -before your student visa expires.

That's it, you are good.

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
If you can receive your passport sooner than your Student visa expiry date and if you successfully make an application for PGWP, this is what Implied Status is. And you are in a good place, regardless of the decision of the WP(It is going to be positive anyway).

Going by your 3 years thing, you will get a WP for sure. Therefore you got nothing to worry about.

1. Apply for a passport (renewal) - Only if you can get it back in time to apply for PGWP.
2. Apply for PGWP -before your student visa expires.

That's it, you are good.
Thanks! That clarified it for me, was worried about losing status