+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Replacement of birth abroad certificate

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with advice on how to get a replacement of my birth abroad certificate. I had this certificate ages ago but seemed to have misplaced it. I've searched the irc resources online but couldn't find anywhere where I could apply for a replacement. I'm not sure but, maybe they no longer issue them cause I read somewhere it was prior to 1977? Anyone know about this?

ps. Sorry to be posting this here...I know this forum is about immigration but I couldn't find one specifically for my inquiry.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
The requirement to register a birth abroad ceased with the 1977 Act, as well as the issuance of that certificate. Replacements for any kind of citizenship document that was issued before, such as the registration certificate or citizenship card, is made today by applying for proof of citizenship.

Reactions: S76

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
BTW The timeline you posted below your signature suggests it took over two years to receive the proof of citizenship certificate... please tell me that's a typo :)

Last edited:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
It will depend on how well you prepare your application; the more information you can provide, the shorter your processing time will be or the less chance you'll have of your application being forwarded to Program Support. My application really took over two years, so it's not a typo.

Reactions: S76

S76

Mar 8, 2020
I didn't imagine it could take that long. I guess I'll do my best to complete all info on the application. Thanks for all your help!

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Ok so I'm applying now for the citizenship certificate... on the check list it says "If you are using the online application, you must upload high resolution, colour digital or scanned images of your documents." Check List. So I want to apply online but when I go to the the IRCC site it only provides links to the paper application package Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Any ideas where I can find the online application?