+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting as a newcomer

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hi guys.

I've been in this forum for a few months now while working on my study permit. In three weeks I'll be arriving to Canada, specifically to London, ON. I'm travelling with my wife and we've rented an Airbnb for two weeks prior to September 1st. We'll use those two weeks to find an apartment before my classes start on September 7th.

I've been searching some websites and I have pinned apartments/condos/basements to check them when we arrive. But my doubts is that most of them say I'll have to show a work reference and credit score. I obviously won't have any of both. How does a newcomer manages getting it's first apartment? Sorry if it has been asked before (which is very likely), but I've just got to the "housing" section.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys.

I've been in this forum for a few months now while working on my study permit. In three weeks I'll be arriving to Canada, specifically to London, ON. I'm travelling with my wife and we've rented an Airbnb for two weeks prior to September 1st. We'll use those two weeks to find an apartment before my classes start on September 7th.

I've been searching some websites and I have pinned apartments/condos/basements to check them when we arrive. But my doubts is that most of them say I'll have to show a work reference and credit score. I obviously won't have any of both. How does a newcomer manages getting it's first apartment? Sorry if it has been asked before (which is very likely), but I've just got to the "housing" section.
The places may have been rented before you arrive so doesn’t make much sense to look until you are able to look at properties. If you are unvaccinated you’ll have 14 days in quarantine to research properties. Those without credit scores or proof of employment normally have to show that they have the funds to be able to pay their rent for a considerable amount of time or a guarantor in Canada which I assume you don’t have. What will be accepted will depend on the landlord.

Reactions: andrews17

BearMoney

Aug 1, 2021
Hi guys.

I had the exact same issue when I arrived,

What I did was I got a signed bank statement from my Canadian bank to show that I have enough money to cover the term of the lease (6 months).

You will find that the bigger 'corporate' buildings will ask for credit scores etc more often than individual landlords or small companies.

Some places will also take a bigger deposit e.g. two months if you have no credit score etc.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi guys.

Local realtors can help you find accomodation at no cost to you (they get paid by the landlord), your new landlord would need solid proof/evidence that you are able to pay your rent (be prepared at least to show a strong bank statement + get a cosignor/guarantor to back you up due to lack of employment and credit score).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Realtors don’t get involved in most rentals. It is more common for high end rentals. Would look at apartment buildings where they often have their own rental application option. Smaller landlords tend to advertise online but watch out for scams.