+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting Apartments, opening bank accounts in Canada from abroad- power of attorn

clayrview

Jun 18, 2011
Hi guys,

Canadian girl here, sponsor of British national, international teachers living abroad for 5 years.

As we're living abroad (Vietnam), I have the little issue of insuring that we will be definitely returning to Canada when residency is approved.

BUT there's that little problem that I can't get an apartment from Vietnam, or open bank accounts etc, and even landing a job since I won't be able to interview for will be tricky.

I was considering giving power of attorney to my Mother, so that she could sign a lease agreement for me, or do banking for me back in Canada.

Does anyone know about Power of Attorney- what it allows the person to do on my behalf (can the person legally use my bank card so I can send money home). And can you then revoke POA when it is no longer needed.

Thanks!!

clayrview

Jun 18, 2011
Just to note this Catch 22 is a little infuriating. They want to know that for sure we will return to Canada, but us returning to Canada is entirely contingent on our residency approval.

I'm sure as hell not moving home without him, and we'll have to country hop some more I guess if it's denied.

So I don't like that I would have to rent an apartment, sign a lease, with his residency up in the air. Does any one else think that's madness!?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:D

This website will explain to your question

http://www.lectlaw.com/filesh/qfl04.htm

MDSB

Feb 16, 2011
Scotland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2011
AOR Received.
28-07-2011
File Transfer...
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
16-05-2011
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-10-2011
clayrview said:
Just to note this Catch 22 is a little infuriating. They want to know that for sure we will return to Canada, but us returning to Canada is entirely contingent on our residency approval.

I'm sure as hell not moving home without him, and we'll have to country hop some more I guess if it's denied.

So I don't like that I would have to rent an apartment, sign a lease, with his residency up in the air. Does any one else think that's madness!?
Hi

I'm not sure about the power of attorney point however we were in a similar "catch 22" situation. My partner (my sponsor) has been working in the UK for 6 years and we both live here together. For Question 10 (date returning to Canada) we put in a date and added a note saying - approximate, travel not yet booked. and for proof of returning, we didn't have any of the documents they suggested so we ticked other and provided: A letter of resignation to his employer, a letter from his boss stating he is aware of his intention to return home to Canada, emails to and from friends discussing returning home, emails discussing employment with contacts in the industry back in Canada, statutory declarations of support (e.g. from his parents stating we could stay with them rent free until we found jobs etc.) Then he wrote a story of our plans over the next few months plus what are plans are once we arrive - Obviously, I don't know if any of this is correct as we have only just sent our app in, however, hope it might give you some ideas...
MDSB

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can submit other proof that you will be returning, such as suggested above.
clayrview said:
I was considering giving power of attorney to my Mother, so that she could sign a lease agreement for me, or do banking for me back in Canada.

Does anyone know about Power of Attorney- what it allows the person to do on my behalf (can the person legally use my bank card so I can send money home). And can you then revoke POA when it is no longer needed.
You can specify in the legal document drawn up by your lawyer things you don't want the POA to be able to do. Ordinarily a POA can do whatever you could do with your money and property. The lawyer should give you a thorough explanation of just what it means, and that you should completely trust the person you give it to. So yes, the POA can apply for a bank card on your account and withdraw money, he/she can rent an apartment for you, etc. I've had two POAs: my mother and my sister. Both could write cheques on my account - they signed their own names, and added "POA". I am POA for both of my parents - and was able to walk right into their bank and get a bank card with my name on it on their accounts.

Felix07Richerd

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your thought of giving power of attorney to your Mother is really appreciable, it shows respect for parents. :)

Also helpful for your financial activities.

whitehorsejk

Star Member
Nov 23, 2010
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 1st, 2010
AOR Received.
Jan 13th, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 6th, 2011
Passport Req..
March 1st, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 26th, 2011
LANDED..........
Fall of 2011
clayrview said:

I sponsored my husband, also a British national, and I too wondered how we would prove our intent to move back to Canada. We live in the UK and both work full time. We didn't want to find jobs or rent some place immediately as we had no idea if my husband would be even approved, or how long it would take. At the time it could take anywhere from 4 months to 8 months or longer. So for proof of intent I just wrote a letter stating that if he was issued with a visa we would at that time start to do things like look/apply for jobs, look for a place to live etc. I think it was about half a page long (there is only so much you can say about what you intend to do:). That was all we had for proof of moving back. My husband was approved for a visa after 3 months (though it was another 6 weeks before his passport was returned). I didn't have to worry about a bank account as I still have an active account in Canada. I guess, just be honest and tell them what you are planning on doing. If your mother could act on your behalf to do things for you (like renting a place etc) then it wouldn't do any harm to your application.

I should say that my husband is planning a trip to Canada in September to land, and to look for/do some job interviews and to find a place to rent. Then we are all (we have 2 children) going to move over in November. This is a few months after the hypothetical date I wrote in the intent to move back letter...but that is only because of a family wedding, otherwise we would have moved by the original date.

Anyway, hope some of this information is useful and good luck on your application:)