+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting an apartment | things to be aware of

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone!

I am about to move to other apartment and I would like to know what are the things that I must follow or I will be in a truble... I heard that of I sign a lease for 6 months or 1 year and leave before the lease ends I might be in a big truble is this true? Like I can give the renter a month damage in advance will this work? Or what i should do to be OKAY with the Landlord.

Thanks everyone.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hello everyone!

I am about to move to other apartment and I would like to know what are the things that I must follow or I will be in a truble... I heard that of I sign a lease for 6 months or 1 year and leave before the lease ends I might be in a big truble is this true? Like I can give the renter a month damage in advance will this work? Or what i should do to be OKAY with the Landlord.

Thanks everyone.
1. If you sign a lease for 6 or 12 months, and you leave before the lease is up, you are responsible for the remainder of the lease.
2. It depends on the province for the damage deposit/security fee. In BC it is 1/2 a months rent, in Ontario it is the last month's rent.

Reactions: Clorets90

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
HI

1. If you sign a lease for 6 or 12 months, and you leave before the lease is up, you are responsible for the remainder of the lease.
2. It depends on the province for the damage deposit/security fee. In BC it is 1/2 a months rent, in Ontario it is the last month's rent.
Thanks for reply do you mean in BC I must pay half the rent of one month for example I pay 1000 per month so if I leave he will take 500 + the 1000 so in full will be 1500$? In BC?

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Why would you think a court would be involved in renting an apartment?
Some people say if I leave before the Landlord will sue me ! and go to court because I left before lease ends is this correct?

Last edited:

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Yes, a landlord can certainly take you to court if you break a lease.
I asked him if we leave before the lease ends what will happen?
He said pay the security amount 500$ and that's all
I asked also will you sue us or something he answered no just pay and leave.
What you think
***I mean this is IF IF IF we leave before the lease ends.***

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What you think
Just because he says it doesn't mean that he won't. Legally, he can take you to court for breaking the lease.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
What you think
I realize you are new to Canada and want to be prepared..but don't get bogged down by everything that can happen. Most of the time it won't. Just enjoy the ride and go with the flow.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
I realize you are new to Canada and want to be prepared..but don't get bogged down by everything that can happen. Most of the time it won't. Just enjoy the ride and go with the flow.
Yes very new here I don't know much here even crossing street was new to me... the amount of respect from the drivers they stop and let us pass ! In middle east you must be as fast as SONIC to cross the street! so many new things to me !
At least here I can have advice from very nice people....
Thanks

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Yes very new here I don't know much here even crossing street was new to me... the amount of respect from the drivers they stop and let us pass ! In middle east you must be as fast as SONIC to cross the street! so many new things to me !
At least here I can have advice from very nice people....
Thanks
Where are you from if I can ask ?