Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
03-aug-2016
Hello guys!

Can anyone please advise on the following:

I recently got the G1 license in Ottawa and because I have a valid license from a country with no exchange agreement and more than 24 months of experience I'm able to attempt the G road test.

The question is: Can I rent a car for my G road test given that I have a valid license from another country and even if I have a G1 Ontario License (which means you can't drive without an accompanying G driver)?

Please advise.

Thank you,
Rox.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
RBatista said:
I am over 25, so there is no problem then... Cool, thank you!
Does Ontario require you to "surrender" your country of origin driver's licence upon your getting the Ontario one? I'm going to BC and all confused about this idea, like... at what point will they need me to give up my licence? I'll need to rent a car for running errands so I dare not even start the DL application process as I'm afraid they will take my country of origin DL away and leave me stranded in between the knowledge and road test. God forbid I may not even pass the first time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
Does Ontario require you to "surrender" your country of origin driver's licence upon your getting the Ontario one? I'm going to BC and all confused about this idea, like... at what point will they need me to give up my licence? I'll need to rent a car for running errands so I dare not even start the DL application process as I'm afraid they will take my country of origin DL away and leave me stranded in between the knowledge and road test. God forbid I may not even pass the first time.
In BC, once you go to ICBC to to take and pass the knowledge test, they will ask you to surrender your HK/Macao license in exchange for a Learner's driver license. You will be able to drive on your Learner's provided that you have a person who can sit beside you when you drive the car! You can also rent a car from a driving school and have a coach to take you to the licensing office. Once you have the Learner's, you can buy and would be able to register a car.

RBatista

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
03-aug-2016
steaky said:
In BC, once you go to ICBC to to take and pass the knowledge test, they will ask you to surrender your HK/Macao license in exchange for a Learner's driver license. You will be able to drive on your Learner's provided that you have a person who can sit beside you when you drive the car! You can also rent a car from a driving school and have a coach to take you to the licensing office. Once you have the Learner's, you can buy and would be able to register a car.
I guess it is different for my country. I have the G1 and I got to keep the license from my country as well. Although now it is useless because I've been here for over 60 days...

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
RBatista said:
Hello guys!

I recently got the G1 license in Ottawa and because I have a valid license from a country with no exchange agreement and more than 24 months of experience I'm able to attempt the G road test.

The question is: Can I rent a car for my G road test given that I have a valid license from another country and even if I have a G1 Ontario License (which means you can't drive without an accompanying G driver)?

Please advise.

Thank you,
Rox.
Have you booked your G road test yet, or tried to do so online? I did the same thing and am trying to book using the temporary licence number but can't get through. I don't know if I have to wait before I get the actual card and use the number there, or if I'm doing something wrong in the first place.

I was told at the centre I could already take the full G road test since I also provided the letter.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
RBatista said:
Hello guys!

Please advise.

Thank you,
Rox.
I believe you need to have a G2 in order to get a rental because the rental insurance does not cover Learner's license and Learner's license cannot drive without a full driver.

ssoy

Jan 11, 2016
bellaluna said:
Have you booked your G road test yet, or tried to do so online? I did the same thing and am trying to book using the temporary licence number but can't get through. I don't know if I have to wait before I get the actual card and use the number there, or if I'm doing something wrong in the first place.

I was told at the centre I could already take the full G road test since I also provided the letter.
Are you putting in the expiry date on the temporary certificate? You need to put in the expiry date of your licence, which is five years from the issue date. It doesnt show on the certificate. Just use the same day and month of the issue date and use 2021 as the year.

Reactions: manboarpig

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
RBatista said:
I guess it is different for my country. I have the G1 and I got to keep the license from my country as well. Although now it is useless because I've been here for over 60 days...
I think this makes more sense. Wondering if it's a British Columbia thing. The local authority has the right not to allow the use of my country of origin DL but I don't think they can simply just "take away" my old DL from me. Well... BC does thing differently, I know.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
If that's the case, then I can't really start the process until I have at least my permanent accommodation settled. Can't imagine myself can take the public transit to look for rentals.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
wyho007 said:
I think this makes more sense. Wondering if it's a British Columbia thing. The local authority has the right not to allow the use of my country of origin DL but I don't think they can simply just "take away" my old DL from me. Well... BC does thing differently, I know.
Oh yes..they will take it away from you. I had DL's from 2 different countries, both taken away when I changed to the BC license.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
ssoy said:
Are you putting in the expiry date on the temporary certificate? You need to put in the expiry date of your licence, which is five years from the issue date. It doesnt show on the certificate. Just use the same day and month of the issue date and use 2021 as the year.
Awesome, that did the trick. I'm able to book a G test. Thanks! +1

dbss said:
I believe you need to have a G2 in order to get a rental because the rental insurance does not cover Learner's license and Learner's license cannot drive without a full driver.
Oh, OK, I have some relatives who can rent on my behalf, but if OP doesn't have this luxury, there are a lot of driving schools that also offer their cars for road tests, the only way to be able to drive on an expressway on a G1 licence anyway is to do so with a qualified instructor.

Reactions: manboarpig

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
If that's the case, then I can't really start the process until I have at least my permanent accommodation settled. Can't imagine myself can take the public transit to look for rentals.
Since you are only planning for a flagpole landing for your wife, you can use your HK / Macao driver license to find a future home. Like Hong Kong, there are a lot of presale buildings around Metro Vancouver. You can find one which completion matches your schedule in returning to Canada and then begin the process of getting a BC driver license.

You can also get in touch with a realtor and let he/she do the driving for your house hunting!

MrTee

Nov 18, 2015
Landed in ontario and after eye & knowledge test they gave me a G1 and scheduled for G test right away. I specifically asked them about rentals they replied anything is fine even US cars are as long as the registration is valid and the car is in working condition.

My license was given back to me and they took a photo copy but they kept the authentication letter mentioning my experience.