+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rentering Canada via Buffalo without PR Card being issued (PP & COPR)

yogiumba

Jun 25, 2015
Hi This is Yogendra
I am planning to Enter Canada for first time, stay for about 4-5 days -> fly to the US for 2 weeks and then come back to Toronto through New York (via Buffalo).
My Plan:
First Stamping in Toronto (Coming from Mumbai) : 23rd May
Travel to Dallas from Toronto : 28th May
Dallas to New York : 12th June
New York to Toronto via Buffalo : 15th June

I believe I will not be assigned a PR card while re-entering CANADA.I want to know the options to reenter Canada ,I don't mind taking a taxi from Buffalo to Toronto or even crossing the border on foot to reach the Canada side.
The PRTD form talk about your duration of stay in Canada and the date you have physically entered Canada. As of now if I apply, these columns will be blank. Not sure that may cause a rejection. I also need to provide a local Canadian address, I may give of a relative, but as I am applying from Mumbai I assume they would courier my prtd to Mumbai VFS only.

I hold an Indian passport which is not Visa-Exempt for Canada.I can show my PP& COPR papers to re-enter Canada.
If PRTD is not possible, can I just ask a Taxi shuttle service to ferry me across the border to Canada OR I am also open to cross the border on foot provided it is possible.

Request you all to advise on this.
regards

Yogendra
yogi_umba@rediffmail.com

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
I don't know if you can get a PRTD before landing. I suspect not, as you aren't a PR yet.

You won't have your card. It takes a while to show up.

Commercial carriers are not supposed to transport you without valid documents (and can be fined if they take you to the border without it), but smaller ones (like shuttle companies) may or may not enforce it (or know how to).

As your passport is not visa exempt, they aren't supposed to take you across the border without a visa. You are free, however, to take yourself - either walking across or driving in a rental car works just fine. Show them your passport and CoPR. You can take a bus right up to the border and then walk.

Enigma123

Feb 25, 2016
Hello,

I have the same issue as Yogendra, the only difference is that I have to travel next week and return via buffalo.

I have already done my PR landing and awaiting my PR card. I called Air Canada as well as CIC and both think that you need a PRTD to enter in Canada by flight, train or bus. The CVAC, that I need to apply to for PRTD, is in NYC and they told me that the processing time is 15 days. That is too late as I need to return in 3 days.

The only option is while returning I take a flight to buffalo and come to Toronto by Taxi, but is taxi a commercial vehicle? Does anyone know any shuttle services that I can contact regarding this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

lbdz

Star Member
May 26, 2014
I would say taxi is commercial, too. But a rented car is allowed. -Im in a similar situation and maybe will do this.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
- It is basically impossible to board a plane to Canada without one of these documents: passport of a visa-exempt country, PR card, PRTD
- It is very unlikely that you will be able to board a bus or train that crosses the border without one of the aforementioned documents
- It might work to take a taxi or shuttle across the border in Niagara Falls. There is no point in calling ahead I think since you actually have to hope for the driver not being prepared and just letting you go with him. I doubt that someone working on the phone for a taxi company even knows what a CoPR or a PRTD is.
- The only safe way is to rent a car and cross the border or to take a bus/train/flight to Niagara Falls, NY, then walk across the Rainbow Bridge and then take a bus or train from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto.

You cannot apply for a PRTD before you landed. Only PRs can apply for a PRTD and you aren't a PR before landing.

Just check megabus.com for busses that rund from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto. That's way cheaper than taking a cab once you are across the border.