+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rental house for a newcomer in Jan 2023 [Winter]

thaufee

Nov 7, 2022
All:

I am coming to Canada for the first time in January 2023 with work permit (ICT) with my family (spouse and kid) and will be staying in a hotel for the first 2 weeks. I need to find a 1BHK condo apartment for long rental period (12 months).

I have heard that finding accommodation for new arrivals is a very difficult task even if you have a job and source of income to pay monthly rental.

People warn me that the winter season in Toronto can be terrible, and that it's usually hard for newcomers to find housing, and that too in the winter, it will be the hardest task.

Is it true?? Please help. Do I need to change my travel plan to March/April i.e. after winter?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All:

I am coming to Canada for the first time in January 2023 with work permit (ICT) with my family (spouse and kid) and will be staying in a hotel for the first 2 weeks. I need to find a 1BHK condo apartment for long rental period (12 months).

I have heard that finding accommodation for new arrivals is a very difficult task even if you have a job and source of income to pay monthly rental.

People warn me that the winter season in Toronto can be terrible, and that it's usually hard for newcomers to find housing, and that too in the winter, it will be the hardest task.

Is it true?? Please help. Do I need to change my travel plan to March/April i.e. after winter?
Can you come alone? Most people in this forum will tell you that landlords in GTA would not let you rent a 1 bed to a family of 3 (couple and kid) for a year long rental contract. Instead, can you change your destination to Calgary or elsewhere in Alberta where rentals are more plentiful?

thaufee

Nov 7, 2022
Can you come alone? Most people in this forum will tell you that landlords in GTA would not let you rent a 1 bed to a family of 3 (couple and kid) for a year long rental contract. Instead, can you change your destination to Calgary or elsewhere in Alberta where rentals are more plentiful?
I am coming with a 2 year old baby. Won't 1BHK work for a 2y old baby?

Also, is it hard for newcomers to find housing in GTA, and that too in the winter, will it be the hardest task?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am coming with a 2 year old baby. Won't 1BHK work for a 2y old baby?

Also, is it hard for newcomers to find housing in GTA, and that too in the winter, will it be the hardest task?
1BHK is a small place for a family of 3 even if the kid is just 2y old. You might find a landlord who might accept your rental application.

Nonetheless, it's tough to get housing in GTA especially for a newcomer family of 3. Besides, most 1 year contact rentals are unfurnished which means you have to buy furniture (sleeping pads and table) and set up home electricity, internet accounts by yourself. It's more easier if you come alone first.

thaufee

Nov 7, 2022
1BHK is a small place for a family of 3 even if the kid is just 2y old. You might a landlord who might accept your rental application.

Nonetheless, it's tough to get housing in GTA especially for a newcomer family of 3. Besides, most 1 year contact rentals are unfurnished which means you have to buy furniture (sleeping pads and table) and set up home electricity, internet accounts by yourself. It's more easier if you come alone first.
Okay. I'll be fine with 2BHK also. Will this be still challenging in GTA? I don't understand why is it hard if I have enough money to pay rentals.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree. Will the credit history be mandatory for renting condo appartments?
Most landlord will ask for credit history. If you don't have it, you might want offer to pay the landlord more security deposits so as to sweeten the deal.

thaufee

Nov 7, 2022
Most landlord will ask for credit history. If you don't have it, you might want offer to pay the landlord more security deposits so as to sweeten the deal.
Any idea how much will that be? Such as 5 months rent amount as a security deposit?

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
All:

https://www.viewit.ca/419MarkhamRd-Scarborough-1bdrm-VIT=102654

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Security deposits are not allowed in Ontario as already mentioned. You pay first and last month’s rent. Many landlords want to meet someone in person before renting out their property. Because of the weather and the holiday period most try to avoid moving from December to March 1st so there is less inventory available. Properties are listed by number of bedrooms (and sometimes bathrooms) in Canada Vs BHK. Without a credit history many newcomers end up differing to pay multiple months of rent in advance to offset the lack of credit report. You are coming with a good job so that should offset any concern about your ability to pay. You will find that many landlords will not want a family with a toddler to move into a 1 bedroom. There are scams out there so please do your due diligence. Where are you looking to rent? Downtown Toronto had quite a lot of vacancies due to Covid but rental stock has been scooped up after borders opened. You may have better luck trying to secure a 2bedroom especially if the 2nd bedroom is smaller because that wouldn’t appeal to 2 roommates. Budget is always a factor as well. There is a lot of demand at the lower end of the market.

nitin1282

Jan 16, 2012
All:

Are you looking for Condo or Basement? Whats your budget?

1BHK Condo : $2100-2200 + Few Utilities
2BHK Condo : $2500-2700 + Few Utilities
2BHK Basment: $1900-2000 (Utilities Included)

Example: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1643361075