+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rent a room without a contract, how to claim tax?

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
Hi all,

The situation is I live one room in a house, but didn't sign a rent contract. I got two questions here and hope you can help and add.

1. What kind of evidences can be used to prove my residence in one address for a period of time?
(Bank statement, Hydro bills. Welcome to add more on this)

2. And what kind of documents (signed by house owner except contract) can be used to claim for house rent tax credit? Is there any official format for this kind of documents?

I really appreciate your time and you are more than welcome to share your thoughts on this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Surfing said:
1. What kind of evidences can be used to prove my residence in one address for a period of time?
(Bank statement, Hydro bills. Welcome to add more on this)
Any bill in your name that shows the address.

Or any mail delivered to you at that address.

2. And what kind of documents (signed by house owner except contract) can be used to claim for house rent tax credit? Is there any official format for this kind of documents?
You need receipts for each monthly payment you are making. Without receipts, it will be hard or impossible to claim anything on taxes.

Some landlords don't like issuing receipts or contracts and keeping everything in cash, since they don't want to report the rent income they are getting to the CRA.