+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing

Azara.t

Jul 28, 2017
I have not met the residency obligations to renew my pr. I only stayed for 9 months after receiving my PR.My PR card expired in 2014. If i want to re-enter Canada should i renounce my pr status b4 applying for a visa? If i do will i be able to apply for PR again after renouncing it?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, you can renounce your PR status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-voluntarily-renounce-permanent-resident-status.html

It may be better to apply for a PRTD. There's a very slim chance that you may get it, in which case you can fly to Canada and attempt to enter. Again, another very slim chance that you may be allowed to enter without the PR revocation process kicking off. That's the best case scenario.

Worst (and most likely) case - they inform you that you will not get a PRTD since you didn't meet RO, and they will begin the process of cancelling your PR.

The negative outcome is the same in both cases - whether you apply to renounce or they decline your PRTD application. However, the PRTD application has a very small but non-zero chance of being approved. Since you want to keep your PR, might as well try that.

You will be able to reapply for PR regardless of whether it is cancelled by Canada or you voluntarily renounce. You will need to go through the entire process again, of course.

Shovik18

May 7, 2021
I have recently applied for prtd but got refused since I did not meet the residency obligation. Currently, I am applying for a study permit, but I must renounce my pr status to do so. While doing that, I faced confusion in the application. There is a section for declaration in Part B of the renounce application. I am confused whether I have to mention anything there since I am over 18 and what should I mention there. Also, do I have to write my guardian's name there

I also want to know whether is it possible to mail my renounce application.

Man2001

Jul 3, 2019
I have recently applied for prtd but got refused since I did not meet the residency obligation. Currently, I am applying for a study permit, but I must renounce my pr status to do so. While doing that, I faced confusion in the application. There is a section for declaration in Part B of the renounce application. I am confused whether I have to mention anything there since I am over 18 and what should I mention there. Also, do I have to write my guardian's name there

I also want to know whether is it possible to mail my renounce application.
Are you 18 year old or more than that? Also which country you are from? Can you explain how long you lived in Canada as a PR? and was your application on H &C grounds?

Shovik18

May 7, 2021
Are you 18 year old or more than that? Also which country you are from? Can you explain how long you lived in Canada as a PR? and was your application on H &C grounds?
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I am 18+ and from Bangladesh. I lived for less than a year in Canada with a Pr status and my Prtd application was based on H & C grounds