+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing old status and applying for a new PR status

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
Hello All,

We are now married last and putting applications to apply for a new status with my husband's sponsor.
Here are my questions.

1) Can we send our evidence of relationship, such as pictures, emails, and other documentations on a USB flash drive? or everyhing has to be a hard copy?

2) Since we were married in Canada and have a marriage certificate, do I still need to register my marriage in Japan as well?

3) Police certificate: Do I need to obtain Canadian certificate in addition to Japanese, as I used to live in Canada?

4) I am planning to write a letter to Canada Immigration along with other documents to renounce my old status. What kind of information should I include in the letter? For example, should I mention why I could not meet the obligation?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Everything must be a hard copy.

2) No, one marriage certificate is enough.

3) No, you don't need to obtain Canadian police certificates, immigration can do that themselves.

4) At the very least your name, birthdate, landing date and PR card number or even landing document numbers if you have them. You can also mention why you could not meet the requirements but it is not necessary. Just that you did not meet them and therefore you want to renounce your PR so you can be sponsored.

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
hello Leon
thank you for your reply.

is it better to send my old PR card also?

is it ok to apply for a new status with my old name? right now, I am officially married in Canada's, but not in my home country.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liltora said:
hello Leon
thank you for your reply.

is it better to send my old PR card also?

is it ok to apply for a new status with my old name? right now, I am officially married in Canada's, but not in my home country.
If your PR Status is still intact and you are not under a sec 44 report why go through the expense and hassle of a new sponsorship application?

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
what I am afraid or expect is that every time I come back to Canada, there is a chance that an immigration officer will ask me a question of my old status or even need to renounce.

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
hi Leon

my spouse and I are about to send out application package for a family class pr status within this months.
before we submit the documents, I came up with a few questions. once again, I could not meet pr obligation yet my pr card is not confiscated yet.

1) if I dont have guarantee staying in Canada for the next 2 straight years without leaving Canada, should I still relinquish my status and apply for a new pr status with my spouse?

2) when I relinquish my old status,
- can I send a letter of consent to relinquish my old status with a new pr status application?
- prior to submitting a new application, should I send the letter to the immigration office (eg. philippines where my pr application will most likely be assessed) or the Canadian Embassy nearby? or
- should I apply for the new pr status without the letter and see if the immigration office will still ask me to go through the process of relinquishing my old status?

thank you in advance!

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
Hello Leon

pardon me for another question
when I write a letter, should I use a designated form?
As I was reading Canada immigration web site, it seems that there exists a form called "IMM 1342 confiscated or voluntary surrendered IMM 1000B"
do you know where to obtain this form?

thank you once again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liltora said:
Hello Leon

pardon me for another question
when I write a letter, should I use a designated form?
As I was reading Canada immigration web site, it seems that there exists a form called "IMM 1342 confiscated or voluntary surrendered IMM 1000B"
do you know where to obtain this form?

thank you once again
As far as I know, you can not download the form to renounce your PR status. In any case, I have never found it. You can however use a PR travel document form to renounce it. Just write on it that you do not wish to be granted a travel document, you merely want them to verify that you have lost your PR status due to not meeting the residency requirements.

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
yes you are right. I cannot find the IMM 1342 online.

so back to my questions, the best way is to relinquish my old pr status and to do so, submit the traval document form with my new pr status applications? what I want is smooth "transition " from my old to new pr status application

thank you

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
hi Leon

I am preparing for IMM 5627-application for a travel document as you advised.

in order to simply verify my not meeting the pr status obligations,
1) do I need to pay the fee?
2) do I need to submit all required items listed in a document checklist, including my ID photos, passport, pr card?
3) can I still submit this form with my new pr status application package (technically, my husband will send all documents to the immigration office) or submit separately?
4) how can I pay the fees? my husband I understand that we can pay online, but should we pay sponsorship fee, my pr status application fee, ( and fee for travel document if I need too) separately or pay all together?

I really appreciate your assistance!
thank you

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
Hello Leon and anybody who could help,

Can anybody help my question? My husband and I are stuck in this issue.

I appreciate your help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's probably better to send the TD application separately and let them process that first. You should pay the fees and include all documents as instructed. The instruction guide is not specific on how you should pay the fee so you should contact the visa office and ask.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liltora said:
hi Leon

I am preparing for IMM 5627-application for a travel document as you advised.

in order to simply verify my not meeting the pr status obligations,
1) do I need to pay the fee?
2) do I need to submit all required items listed in a document checklist, including my ID photos, passport, pr card?
3) can I still submit this form with my new pr status application package (technically, my husband will send all documents to the immigration office) or submit separately?
4) how can I pay the fees? my husband I understand that we can pay online, but should we pay sponsorship fee, my pr status application fee, ( and fee for travel document if I need too) separately or pay all together?

I really appreciate your assistance!
thank you
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes but nothing will happen on the PR package until your current PR status is lost. Given the time to review your TD application and 60 days appeal time (in case you change your mind) your PR application may end up being stale dated e.g. the forms could change. As per Leon wait till PR status is formally lost then apply for new PR.
4. The sponsorship process has applicable fees if I recall processing fee and COPR fee - pay it all in one go if you can it saves a request for the payment later. TD application though to be paid separately.

In my initial post I queried why you were going through the hassle of renouncing your PR. Now that you are married to a Canadian Citizen you are able to enjoy a loophole that in most cases would be too good to be true. Any absence days by a PR when accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse abroad are counted as if they are 'in Canada' days. In your shoes I would not renounce PR status. Add up any days you've been in Canada and any days you will be abroad each time you re-enter Canada. If you can get 735 days looking back 5 years then you will be ok for re-entry or PR Card renewal. Keep a documentary record of your time abroad though e.g. joint lease.

Sponsorship issues include your spouse having to show he is returning to Canada. Also with a change in the law you have probationary PR Status for 2 years (unless you have kids). If the relationship goes sour prior to then your PR may not be 'upgraded' to full PR status.

Do you have a visitor visa exempt passport? If yes then it makes easier not to have to renew your PR Card as you can fly to Canada on the strength of this passport. Eventually you may get a couple of trips to Secondary Inspection but explain your situation and you will get admitted. I guess if you have real concerns about re-entry then a fresh PR Status with new PR Card gives you a 5 year window to travel back and forth but is this a good enough reason to get rid of your current PR status? Your call.

Congrats and Good luck

liltora

Oct 7, 2012
Thank you Leon as always for your prompt reply.

Hi, Msafiri
Thank you for your in-depth explanation. I appreciate it.
I wish I could keep my current PR status. However, even when I count the number of days with my husband, it will not suffice the 735 days obligation. We have been in a long distance relationship for the past 4.5 years and haven't been together physically most of the time. I am not sure if the number of days counted even when we are physically not together. Plus, we just got married two months ago.
This means I cannot even renew my PR card, am I right?

I mean the best scenario is, of course I can still use my original PR status, as I still have my PR card in hand.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liltora said:
Thank you Leon as always for your prompt reply.

Hi, Msafiri
Thank you for your in-depth explanation. I appreciate it.
I wish I could keep my current PR status. However, even when I count the number of days with my husband, it will not suffice the 735 days obligation. We have been in a long distance relationship for the past 4.5 years and haven't been together physically most of the time. I am not sure if the number of days counted even when we are physically not together. Plus, we just got married two months ago.
This means I cannot even renew my PR card, am I right?

I mean the best scenario is, of course I can still use my original PR status, as I still have my PR card in hand.
1. What date did you land as a PR?

2. What date does your PR Card expire?

3. Are you visitor visa exempt nationality/passport for Canada e.g. USA

4. How will your spouse show that you will be coming back to Canada after sponsorship? Does he have a job in Canada?

5. How many 'In Canada' days do you have at this time (approx?) in the last 5 years. I get the impression you were back home/ in a 3rd country with your now spouse in a different country?

6. What was the reason for your absence from Canada?