+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing my PR

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
My PR status expired in 2019, and I haven't renounced it yet.

I want to visit Canada in 2 months, so I think I have to renounce my PR and apply for a visitor visa. Do I have to wait until renouncement is official, or can start applying for a visa immediately?

Also, my son was born in Canada 10 years ago, he is a Canadian citizen, but he lives with us outside of Canada. Is it possible for us to apply for parent visa?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My PR status expired in 2019, and I haven't renounced it yet.

I want to visit Canada in 2 months, so I think I have to renounce my PR and apply for a visitor visa. Do I have to wait until renouncement is official, or can start applying for a visa immediately?

Also, my son was born in Canada 10 years ago, he is a Canadian citizen, but he lives with us outside of Canada. Is it possible for us to apply for parent visa?

Thanks!
You would need to renounce your PR status before you can apply for a visitor visa. When was the last time you were in Canada and how long have you lived in Canada in the last five years. Depending on the answers, it may be possible for you to apply for a PR Travel Document to return to Canada as a PR. Also, do you happen to have a valid US visa?

I'm not sure what you mean by "parent visa". If you are asking about a super visa, then no, you cannot apply for a super visa. Your son needs to be an adult and living and working in Canada in order for you to apply for a super visa.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Looking at your past posts, you asked the same question 2 years ago and stated that you didn't receive your PR card nor applied for a SIN. If you renounce your PR, what is your intention of coming to Canada with your son? Do you plan to reapply for PR?

You can enter by road if you have a valid US visa and enter Canada with your PR card. However without a SIN, you cannot work. Or have access to health care.

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
You would need to renounce your PR status before you can apply for a visitor visa. When was the last time you were in Canada and how long have you lived in Canada in the last five years. Depending on the answers, it may be possible for you to apply for a PR Travel Document to return to Canada as a PR. Also, do you happen to have a valid US visa?

I'm not sure what you mean by "parent visa". If you are asking about a super visa, then no, you cannot apply for a super visa. Your son needs to be an adult and living and working in Canada in order for you to apply for a super visa.
I have lived in Canada for about a month in the last 5 years, so I have not kept up my status, and I don't have a PR card.

Even if I manage to get a PRTD, I probably will not be allowed to enter Canada. Probably better to reapply for PR if necessary. But now I can't apply because they are not sending ITA for the Federal Skills Worker program.

Last edited:

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
Looking at your past posts, you asked the same question 2 years ago and stated that you didn't receive your PR card nor applied for a SIN. If you renounce your PR, what is your intention of coming to Canada with your son? Do you plan to reapply for PR?

You can enter by road if you have a valid US visa and enter Canada with your PR card. However without a SIN, you cannot work. Or have access to health care.
I have lived in Canada less than a month in the last 5 years. So I have not kept up my PR status. My card was sent to a wrong address the first time, and I was outside of the country when I found out. I came back the next year and applied for the card again, and it also didn't arrive for some reason. Then I decided to stay outside of Canada, and reapply if necessary.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have lived in Canada for about a month in the last 5 years, so I have not kept up my status, and I don't have a PR card.

Even if I manage to get a PRTD, I probably will not be allowed to enter Canada. Probably better to reapply for PR if necessary. But now I can't apply because they are not sending ITA for the Federal Skills Worker program.
In that case it does sound like renouncing your status makes sense.

You need to renounce your status before you can apply for a visitor visa and before you can apply for PR again. ITAs are expected to start again in July. So if you want to set up a new EE profile by that time, it would be a good idea to renounce your PR status now. Do you know how many points you have under EE? Scores are going to be high once draws restart.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have lived in Canada less than a month in the last 5 years. So I have not kept up my PR status. My card was sent to a wrong address the first time, and I was outside of the country when I found out. I came back the next year and applied for the card again, and it also didn't arrive for some reason. Then I decided to stay outside of Canada, and reapply if necessary.
Renouncing makes sense. However, you need PR (if eligible) or a visitor visa to reenter. Getting a visitor visa will be a challenger because you have a Canadian son. Given his age, VOs will wonder if you will leave Canada.