+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing my PR - What is my best option

Xpat4life

Sep 28, 2023
Hello,

I got my PR back in 2018 but decided to move in 2020, however due to COVID lockdown and wife pregnancy which led to baby born outside Canada it took a while to get paperwork done for my son (TRP) however all is good from their end and despite not meeting RO, I have managed to settle my wife and kids in Canada back in May of this year.
However due to my job nature (working in media - niche field) I was having difficulty finding a job, I managed to head back to my country of residence (ie, Dubai). I am currently working here and I do not want to let go of my job as with my pay I am providing my family living in Canada.

I am thinking of renouncing my PR since my card will expire in Feb'2024. (Q1) How long is the process of renouncing PR if outside Canada and (Q2) What if I renounce at the port of entry if I travel before Feb (does the process get completed then and there). (Q3) Also since I do not belong to a country eligible for eTA, can I apply for TRV simultaneously with renouncing my PR, I really want to come and go to meet my family.

(Q4) What is the best suggestion can anyone give me (if not renouncing), keep in mind I have not met RO and my card expires in Feb 2024.

Apologies for bombarding with four questions, really want some guidance before I take any step.

Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No idea about the time to process you PR renouncing. And I believe that you cannot apply for TRV until that finished processed.
Just a note that you are STILL a tax resident regardless to your PR status. Your wife and child live in Canada and that is a strong tie to this country. Check with CRA and make sure you file your oversea income.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So now OP has to pay taxes before leaving the country for good?
How can he leave the country for good without his spouse and children? He isn't really leaving. He still has strong tie with his family living in Canada.

OP should check with his accountant in Canada before he makes the decision.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
So now OP has to pay taxes before leaving the country for good?

“Significant residential ties to Canada include:

a home in Canada
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada
dependants in Canada”

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

He’s only working abroad . He’s wife children are still here . His income wouldn’t be tax free since his dependants presumably are receiving benefits from Canada . Education, healthcare etc .?
Those aren’t gratis

He can’t have his cake & eat it too. He’d have to renounce everyone’s PR and move out , and some how can’t see him doing that

Last edited:

Xpat4life

Sep 28, 2023
I never worked in Canada, I read on Cic website that my renouncing of PR does not affect my family's as it is my own personal decision. We have yet to receive any benefits (child benefits, grocery rebate etc) as I have not yet filed my taxes (I believe it's in March?). But I will definitely ask my accountant as to how much tax I have to pay if my income is overseas and I do not physically live in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never worked in Canada, I read on Cic website that my renouncing of PR does not affect my family's as it is my own personal decision. We have yet to receive any benefits (child benefits, grocery rebate etc) as I have not yet filed my taxes (I believe it's in March?). But I will definitely ask my accountant as to how much tax I have to pay if my income is overseas and I do not physically live in Canada.
But if you renounce your PR, there's no guarantee you will get a TRV to visit your family in Canada. Instead, get a multiple PRTD or valid PR card is more realistic.

Xpat4life

Sep 28, 2023
A valid PR card is out of question since I never completed Residency Obligation. Read it somewhere that you can get a TRV because your family is here. The reason they reject TRV is because they suspect you will go on a visit visa and stay in Canada permanently. However I am planning to voluntarily renounce my 'valid' PR in exchange for a TRV the odds are high.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
A valid PR card is out of question since I never completed Residency Obligation. Read it somewhere that you can get a TRV because your family is here. The reason they reject TRV is because they suspect you will go on a visit visa and stay in Canada permanently. However I am planning to voluntarily renounce my 'valid' PR in exchange for a TRV the odds are high.
You can APPLY for a TRV but as already mentioned you might not get it. No such thing as exchanging your PR for a TRV.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
You may lose your PR status but that doesnt means you will lose it. You have strong ties and have been outside Canada because of genuine reasons.
If you and your family pay Taxes I think you will be able to keep the PR and your family will become Citizen.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A valid PR card is NOT out of question. Since your spouse is a PR in Canada, as long as she meet her PR residency obligation, you can also be sponsored to immigrate again and get a new valid PR card or multiple PRTD this way.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A valid PR card is NOT out of question. Since your spouse is a PR in Canada, as long as she meet her PR residency obligation, you can also be sponsored to immigrate again and get a new valid PR card or multiple PRTD this way.
You may lose your PR status but that doesnt means you will lose it. You have strong ties and have been outside Canada because of genuine reasons.
If you and your family pay Taxes I think you will be able to keep the PR and your family will become Citizen.
Paying taxes doesn’t replace meeting RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume your family likely qualified for PR based on your work history, education, language skills, etc. You renouncing your PR is a personal decision but is clearly a bait and switch move. Given that your wife and child did not remain Dubai with you and you seem to have continued working at the same job that you had before dropping your family off in Canada, it looks like your family secured PR and planned for your wife and child to remain in Canada until they secured citizenship at the very least. After qualifying for citizenship there is a good chance they will join you in Dubai again. Given that you never really attempted to settle in Canada, that you are happy to split up your family instead of remaining in Dubai together and that you are trying to avoid paying any taxes for you family who is benefiting from being in Canada this seems to be well planned and IRCC has seen this scenario over and over again. Having a spouse in Canada does not guarantee that you will get a TRV. If you appear to being trying to exploit the system and having your spouse and children live in Canada when you were the one who likely qualified for PR, IRCC may not want to reward you by granting you a TRV. Spouses of PRs are often denied TRVs because most families want to live together so there will be concerns that you will try to remain in Canada. If you apply for a TRV and provide proof that you have no intention of remaining in Canada and that you renounced your PR status soon after leaving your spouse and child in Canada and returned to your life in Dubai. Your child may have been denied a TRV and then had to apply for a TRP. During the application you likely specified that your child needed to the TRP so you and your spouse could move to Canada permanently together and that you were leaving leaving your home and job to resettle permanently in Canada. That you were not compliant with your RO but your family was committed to moving to Canada permanently now and needed to be together as a family which is why your child needs the TRP and one parent can not go to Canada and start the sponsorship process alone. All your previous applications will likely be reviewed when applying for a new TRV. If you want to see your family in Canada you should keep your PR and use it until it expires. When the PR expires you could either fly into the US if you have a visa and cross at land border and see if you are ever reported. The other option would be to apply for multiple entry PRTD. Even if you aren’t meeting your RO if you were the breadwinner who had been unable to find employment in Canada you could be awarded a multiple entry PRTD to visit your family while still paying your family’s fair share of taxes. In general if you are trying to take advantage of the immigration system by qualifying for PR so you could leave your spouse and children in Canada until they can at least secure citizenship but you also don‘t want to have your family income taxed like other families living in Canada, you want to give up your PR as soon as possible. Given the situation you can’t expect IRCC to welcome you back with open arms and make it easy for you to come and go from Canada as a visitor while your family benefits from living in Canada while not paying any taxes and only qualified to live in Canada based on you qualifying for PR not your spouse. Hopefully this loophole will be closed soon to prevent those who qualify for PR from dropping of their dependents (and the dependents on their PR applications) before returning back to their home and job and being able to renounce their PR. Hopefully the person who qualified for PR will have to remain in Canada for a certain period of time and have to keep their PR status to prevent people benefiting from Canada, living comfortable lifestyles yet declaring zero income and typically securing citizenship.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paying taxes doesn’t replace meeting RO.

I repeat my post:

What's the point of quoted my post if you don't read?

Last edited: