+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renouncing my canadian pr

Jan 15, 2023
my family and i had a canadian pr when i was 3 years old (2009) but as my grandfather got extremely sick my parents and i had to come back to india to take care of him and we could not finish the number of days specified, now i am 17 and am looking to apply at canadian colleged and i am not sure how to proceed, should i drop the pr? or continue with it? or can i get a student visa with it?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
my family and i had a canadian pr when i was 3 years old (2009) but as my grandfather got extremely sick my parents and i had to come back to india to take care of him and we could not finish the number of days specified, now i am 17 and am looking to apply at canadian colleged and i am not sure how to proceed, should i drop the pr? or continue with it? or can i get a student visa with it?
You may want to look at the Permanent Residency Obligation (sub)forum here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

There are several other cases like yours (historical) - you will have to search for them, look for 'removed as minor' or something similar.

Very brief summary:
-you are still a PR. You remain a PR until you renounce (voluntarily give up) PR status, or have it revoked.
-as you were removed as a minor, there is a good chance that you would be granted leniency regarding the non-compliance with number of days.
-to benefit from this, you'd have to apply for a PRTD (perm resident travel document) and explain you were removed and you would like to return. [Note, it is not guaranteed.]
-I believe you would have to apply as an adult (when 18) but not certain about this (perhaps you could apply now). Better to apply soon, they tend to deny those who apply long (several years) after becoming adults.
-If the PRTD is issued, you would come to Canada and be a PR.
-Note, this does not mean life in Canada will be easy or simple: there are some complications that may arise about government health insurance, working, getting PR card (at least in a timely manner), etc. [Life in Canada is not inexpensive.] But long term if you stay in Canada should be manageable.
-When (if) you make it to Canada, you should be able to study at domestic fee rate (for citizens and PRs). There can be some administrative speed bumps in the way, and you still have to be admitted, but again, should be manageable.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get a SIN# when you came to Canada. How much time did you spend in Canada before leaving? Did you attend school in Canada?

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
As you were minor, no issue, u can enter via land border, you are still pr holder.no need to renounce