+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing American Citizenship

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
newtone said:
Really? or are they forced to? Ask any Canadian if they like to pay more tax than what they are already playing. Ask them how they feel about paying $40 for a pair of jeans when they can get the same jeans in USA for less than half the cost. How the bureaucratic red tape that is so institutionalized in every aspect of business that its literally killing corporations? It only took them 15 years to decide to extend the downsview subway line to Vaughan. I dont think I'll be alive by the time they decide to think to extend to Brampton which happens to also be part of GTA. So this is how divided people are in Canada and the pace of development of a so called developed world. I've travelled on subways in many cities but when I looked at the subway in Toronto it reminded me of pipes underneath my kitchen sink. Just two lines!!! really??
When was the last time we heard of a Canadian multinational brand. I asked this to a lot of people and they were zapped for answers, and I'll ask you this question can you name 3 Canadian Multinational corporations (wholly owned Canadian)? By the way Black berry is up for sale. So there goes another iconic Canadian brand down the toilet. Germany is probably 100th the size of Canada and it produces BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, only in automobile I havent even started on other industries, and people know these brands in any corner of the world. Sure Germany is an older country, lets talk about USA. I cant even begin to compare it to USA because there is absolutely no comparison.

The truth is Canada is no longer the Canada it used to be, it has changed, its become more like a place for criminals around the world to make their black money white. Construction is run by mafia, Corporations are regulated by government cause even before you lift a finger you gotta pay Ottawa. Lets talk about the common man, do you know how much it costs to renovate your basement legally? Do you know how much is costs to rent an apartment for a family of 4, do you know how much Canadians pay for car insurance or cell phone. The problem is there is no regulating body that represents Canadians to question these questionable figures and inhuman practices of the government and corporations. Its kinda like the British way of ruling, divide and conquer, keep people confused and divided so that they cannot unite against the government. They tried the wall street movement here, I was laughing my head off cause I know these people wouldn't last a week, cause people need to eat to protest and the price of food is high, add the harsh Canadian weather and before you know it Wall street movement turned into a Ball Street movement lol

Lets do some calculation so we can put things into context, I'll take Toronto as an example cause I lived there:

3 bedroom apartment, family of 4 1 wife 2 kids and yourself: $1500/month
cell phone bill, between you and wife: $100/month
cable tv: $50 (basic water down service)
car insurance: $500/month
petrol: $200/month
grocery: $400/month
ttc: $120/month
misc (eating out, clothing,entertainment): $500/month

grand total: $3370/month this is cost only

Lets work back wards:

New immigrant comes with PhD or Masters comes to Canada and obviously working at minimum wage $10.25\hour

Working 10 hours a day 7 days a week comes to $2870/month

This way he dosent even break even, not to mention he cannot give time to his kids, or any savings for a house, for the future, or to go on vacation, or put his kids to camp, or his kids university in the future . Well I bring to you the other working member of the family " the wife". So now the wife works the same kamakazi shift like the husband. Assuming wife is also making $2870/month. With both husband and wife working someone has to look after the kids, I bring to you the cost of day care $1000 per child per month. So $2000 goes to day care and so we are left with $370 savings per month, this balance will help them with planning vacations, putting a down payment for the house, saving for university education. Now obviously this will come at a cost and the cost is kids are growing up not seeing mom or dad for 10 hours a day 7 days a week.
I agree with Newtone. Besides all this some people have unrealistic expectations about life in Canada. They don't do their research and land thinking it's a dreamland. I can thing of a thousand questions people don't ask themselves. Is my profession in demand? How different would my job be in Canada? Knowing how different it will be, am I still qualified to do it there? If my plan doesn't work, what's plan B? Should I change careers? Is it feasible for me to change careers?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
newtone said:
Really? or are they forced to? Ask any Canadian if they like to pay more tax than what they are already playing. Ask them how they feel about paying $40 for a pair of jeans when they can get the same jeans in USA for less than half the cost. How the bureaucratic red tape that is so institutionalized in every aspect of business that its literally killing corporations? It only took them 15 years to decide to extend the downsview subway line to Vaughan. I dont think I'll be alive by the time they decide to think to extend to Brampton which happens to also be part of GTA. So this is how divided people are in Canada and the pace of development of a so called developed world. I've travelled on subways in many cities but when I looked at the subway in Toronto it reminded me of pipes underneath my kitchen sink. Just two lines!!! really??
When was the last time we heard of a Canadian multinational brand. I asked this to a lot of people and they were zapped for answers, and I'll ask you this question can you name 3 Canadian Multinational corporations (wholly owned Canadian)? By the way Black berry is up for sale. So there goes another iconic Canadian brand down the toilet. Germany is probably 100th the size of Canada and it produces BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, only in automobile I havent even started on other industries, and people know these brands in any corner of the world. Sure Germany is an older country, lets talk about USA. I cant even begin to compare it to USA because there is absolutely no comparison.

The truth is Canada is no longer the Canada it used to be, it has changed, its become more like a place for criminals around the world to make their black money white. Construction is run by mafia, Corporations are regulated by government cause even before you lift a finger you gotta pay Ottawa. Lets talk about the common man, do you know how much it costs to renovate your basement legally? Do you know how much is costs to rent an apartment for a family of 4, do you know how much Canadians pay for car insurance or cell phone. The problem is there is no regulating body that represents Canadians to question these questionable figures and inhuman practices of the government and corporations. Its kinda like the British way of ruling, divide and conquer, keep people confused and divided so that they cannot unite against the government. They tried the wall street movement here, I was laughing my head off cause I know these people wouldn't last a week, cause people need to eat to protest and the price of food is high, add the harsh Canadian weather and before you know it Wall street movement turned into a Ball Street movement lol

Lets do some calculation so we can put things into context, I'll take Toronto as an example cause I lived there:

3 bedroom apartment, family of 4 1 wife 2 kids and yourself: $1500/month
cell phone bill, between you and wife: $100/month
cable tv: $50 (basic water down service)
car insurance: $500/month
petrol: $200/month
grocery: $400/month
ttc: $120/month
misc (eating out, clothing,entertainment): $500/month

grand total: $3370/month this is cost only

Lets work back wards:

New immigrant comes with PhD or Masters comes to Canada and obviously working at minimum wage $10.25\hour

Working 10 hours a day 7 days a week comes to $2870/month

This way he dosent even break even, not to mention he cannot give time to his kids, or any savings for a house, for the future, or to go on vacation, or put his kids to camp, or his kids university in the future . Well I bring to you the other working member of the family " the wife". So now the wife works the same kamakazi shift like the husband. Assuming wife is also making $2870/month. With both husband and wife working someone has to look after the kids, I bring to you the cost of day care $1000 per child per month. So $2000 goes to day care and so we are left with $370 savings per month, this balance will help them with planning vacations, putting a down payment for the house, saving for university education. Now obviously this will come at a cost and the cost is kids are growing up not seeing mom or dad for 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

Well, nothing you've written really compares the United States and Canada, but here's what I think about it. First off, Canada is a country that depends on exporting raw materials, so it's fairly normal that we haven't heard of the Canadian Benz -- but I guarantee you, if you talk to people in the mining or timber industries, anywhere in the world, they will know of Canadian multinationals.

Second, there are famous Canadian multinationals/brands: Blackberry, Canola, Costco, etc. Sure, they aren't that great, but they are known.

Third, it doesn't matter. I live in Canada, not its multinationals. Why would I choose my immigration destination based on it having a native car company?

Have you seen the public transit in NYC or Boston? It looks like something out of 19th century London. No western city can build transit quickly or cheaply anymore, places like Singapore and Taipei can smoke them all. It's normal.

It's good that corporations are regulated by the government (assuming that's true). Having the government exert useful oversight on safety, the environment, and other areas is a good thing. It is true that adjusted average national income in Canada is about $7,000 lower than in the United States -- that doesn't bother me in the least, I like a society that has a lower emphasis on competition, and a greater emphasis on responsibility.

There is a regulating body that represents all Canadians -- it's the national and provincial governments.

And as for your calculations about monthly income/salary, I have a few observations:

- yes, it's tough; why did this hypothetical professor choose the most expensive place in Canada to live?
- how do you think this would compare if he had chosen the most expensive place in the United States (New York, San Fran)? There's a reason
you have no comparison here
- nearly every price given here could have been determined in advance -- did this professor move here, with his family, knowing he had no job?
- ditto for day care -- clearly in his home country, family took care of the prof's kids. He knew they wouldn't be here, did he plan ahead for
that? The cost of day care can be determined through the internet.
- why is he spending so much on car insurance? The price given here is six times what I pay in Alberta
- is ttc transit? Why spend so much on this and on car insurance both?
- why does he have a three bedroom apartment? Why not two?
- there are huge costs that this list would include if it was in the United States, especially health insurance

Huge numbers of PhDs fail to get jobs every year in North America -- people graduate from Harvard and are happy to get tenure-track jobs at the University of Arkansas/Fayetteville. A professor can't move to one of the most desirable cities in North America and assume that they will be hired. Is that what this professor did? If so, I don't see how one could blame Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
on-hold said:
And as for your calculations about monthly income/salary, I have a few observations:

- yes, it's tough; why did this hypothetical professor choose the most expensive place in Canada to live?
- how do you think this would compare if he had chosen the most expensive place in the United States (New York, San Fran)? There's a reason
- nearly every price given here could have been determined in advance -- did this professor move here, with his family, knowing he had no job?
- ditto for day care -- clearly in his home country, family took care of the prof's kids. He knew they wouldn't be here, did he plan ahead for
- why is he spending so much on car insurance? The price given here is six times what I pay in Alberta
- there are huge costs that this list would include if it was in the United States, especially health insurance

Huge numbers of PhDs fail to get jobs every year in North America -- people graduate from Harvard and are happy to get tenure-track jobs at the University of Arkansas/Fayetteville. A professor can't move to one of the most desirable cities in North America and assume that they will be hired. Is that what this professor did? If so, I don't see how one could blame Canada.
Agreed. If they are smart enough to get a PhD or a Masters, then they should be smart enough to research the cost of living in Canada. It is their own fault if they don't do the research and move to a very expensive city expecting to get a great job and live the dream life right away.

I live in Victoria, BC, generally considered to be an expensive place to live, yet my partner and I don't even come close to those numbers, even after adjusting for no children. And in most of northern and interior BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, it is even cheaper.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Many immigrants don't care which "Western" country they get into, they just want to get out of the "Third World" country they currently live in.

For some people, the freedom to practice their religion or a woman not be owned by her husband/father is worth living paycheck-to-paycheck in a tiny apartment in Canada/USA/Australia/UK, etc.

Those are generalizations, but you get the idea. We are so used to our 'human rights' that sometimes we forget not everyone has them.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Well, nothing you've written really compares the United States and Canada, but here's what I think about it. First off, Canada is a country that depends on exporting raw materials, so it's fairly normal that we haven't heard of the Canadian Benz -- but I guarantee you, if you talk to people in the mining or timber industries, anywhere in the world, they will know of Canadian multinationals.
As a matter of fact Canada imports more than it exports. And if Canada exports raw materials in order import the finished product at a higher cost then I can see why they have such a huge trade deficit. My point is the government needs to encourage small and large business to export.

on-hold said:
Second, there are famous Canadian multinationals/brands: Blackberry, Canola, Costco, etc. Sure, they aren't that great, but they are known.

Third, it doesn't matter. I live in Canada, not its multinationals. Why would I choose my immigration destination based on it having a native car company?
Costco is an American company founded in 1983 in Washington. The reason I made the point about multinationals is because multinationals create jobs and careers that sustain. They create opportunities globally and allow Canadians to be a major player in the international market. People choose immigration for a better life, better life is brought about by better jobs and better jobs and careers are created by multinational companies. Even mom and pop stores can create jobs mopping floors and handling cash but those are not careers

on-hold said:
It's good that corporations are regulated by the government (assuming that's true). Having the government exert useful oversight on safety, the environment, and other areas is a good thing. It is true that adjusted average national income in Canada is about $7,000 lower than in the United States -- that doesn't bother me in the least, I like a society that has a lower emphasis on competition, and a greater emphasis on responsibility.

There is a regulating body that represents all Canadians -- it's the national and provincial governments.
Maybe I wasnt clear on what I meant by regulation from government. I didnt mean it in a good way, I meant to say if I am a business owner I can very well do without having to constantly have a big brother watch over me and take part of my profit earned. I possibly cannot grow my business globally with government eating away my profit margins and regulating everything I do

on-hold said:

Here are your answers:
Hypothetical professor will choose a place to settle where there is the highest probability of getting a job. In your case why did you choose Alberta why not Yukon?
You possibly cannot compare New York or San Fran to Toronto there is absolutely no comparison. New York and San Fran both have greater population density than Toronto. New York is is a city that never sleeps Toronto is a city that never wakes up from sleep, after 10 pm your best friends will be stray cats.
No there is no way he can find out how much it would cost until he is physically here, how many people have asked that question in this forum?
Yes car insurance is a scam in this province, I am rated as a 7 star driver and am paying over $200 so it dosent come to me as surprise why new immigrants will pay so much for insurance.
yes TTC is transit, and if we had a good transit system then maybe it would not be a necessity to have a car in the first place
the reason he cannot have 2 is because by law if you have 2 kids you need to have 1 bedroom per child. now he can be all out asian and share 2 bedroom apartment with 4 other families before the neighbors complain.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
newtone said:
As a matter of fact Canada imports more than it exports. And if Canada exports raw materials in order import the finished product at a higher cost then I can see why they have such a huge trade deficit. My point is the government needs to encourage small and large business to export.

Costco is an American company founded in 1983 in Washington. The reason I made the point about multinationals is because multinationals create jobs and careers that sustain. They create opportunities globally and allow Canadians to be a major player in the international market. People choose immigration for a better life, better life is brought about by better jobs and better jobs and careers are created by multinational companies. Even mom and pop stores can create jobs mopping floors and handling cash but those are not careers

Maybe I wasnt clear on what I meant by regulation from government. I didnt mean it in a good way, I meant to say if I am a business owner I can very well do without having to constantly have a big brother watch over me and take part of my profit earned. I possibly cannot grow my business globally with government eating away my profit margins and regulating everything I do

Here are your answers:
Hypothetical professor will choose a place to settle where there is the highest probability of getting a job. In your case why did you choose Alberta why not Yukon?
You possibly cannot compare New York or San Fran to Toronto there is absolutely no comparison. New York and San Fran both have greater population density than Toronto. New York is is a city that never sleeps Toronto is a city that never wakes up from sleep, after 10 pm your best friends will be stray cats.
No there is no way he can find out how much it would cost until he is physically here, how many people have asked that question in this forum?
Yes car insurance is a scam in this province, I am rated as a 7 star driver and am paying over $200 so it dosent come to me as surprise why new immigrants will pay so much for insurance.
yes TTC is transit, and if we had a good transit system then maybe it would not be a necessity to have a car in the first place
the reason he cannot have 2 is because by law if you have 2 kids you need to have 1 bedroom per child. now he can be all out asian and share 2 bedroom apartment with 4 other families before the neighbors complain.

Sorry, I thought Costco was Canadian -- someone told me that and I didn't care enough to check . . .

Imports/Exports is another issue -- I don't care if Canada has a trade deficit or a surplus, my point is that Canadian raw material companies are world famous. We just don't know their names because we aren't raw materials experts.

Why can't you grow your business globally? What specific regulation does Canada have that prevents it?

I can compare New York to Toronto -- if your prof had gone there, he'd be three times poorer than he is. Minimum wage is lower, jobs are fewer, rent far higher.

Probabilities don't apply in the academic job market. The positions are so specialized that geography has nothing to do with it. A professor in Saskatchewan can apply for a position in Toronto. Your prof could have moved to London or Hamilton or Windsor and been within comfortable distance of all of Southern Ontario, with the highest density of colleges and universities in Canada.

Also, for someone out of the academic networks and with totally foreign degrees, the probabilities of getting a tenure track job anywhere are so low that is ridiculous to base your destination on them. Established professors with high reputations don't suddenly immigrate with no prospects.

Yes, it can be researched -- by using the Internet and phones.

My driving record is three years, and I pay 1/6th of what your hypothetical family pays.

I've never heard of that law of one bedroom/child, if that's true then it's stupid.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
It's two children per bedroom, at least in Calgary bylaws. I have verified that when I was helping some of the FSW workers look at rentals.

I think the "dream" is every child gets their own space, but reality is you can have 2-3 children legally share a bedroom in most places.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Imports/Exports is another issue -- I don't care if Canada has a trade deficit or a surplus, my point is that Canadian raw material companies are world famous. We just don't know their names because we aren't raw materials experts.

I am not sure about your logic here, I dont have to be an expert in beverages to know Coca cola is American, I dont have to be a computer scientist to know Microsoft and Apple are American companies, neither do I have to be an expert in Aviation to know Airbus is European and Boeing is American. I've personally never heard of any Canadian multinational company.

Why can't you grow your business globally? What specific regulation does Canada have that prevents it?

I dont know why Canadian companies cant grow globally there have been many cases where foreign companies tried to create joint ventures with Canadian companies but due to government involvement they couldnt expand. There is no one specific regulation rather a number of regulations that prevent Canadian companies to grow globally. I am not sure what Canadians are so scared of.

I can compare New York to Toronto -- if your prof had gone there, he'd be three times poorer than he is. Minimum wage is lower, jobs are fewer, rent far higher.

I cannot compare Toronto to New York cause NY is a cosmopolitan city, place where opportunities are created. Population is higher and business opportunities are much greater. Its a happening place that draws crowds and talent from all over the world.

Probabilities don't apply in the academic job market. The positions are so specialized that geography has nothing to do with it. A professor in Saskatchewan can apply for a position in Toronto. Your prof could have moved to London or Hamilton or Windsor and been within comfortable distance of all of Southern Ontario, with the highest density of colleges and universities in Canada.

Also, for someone out of the academic networks and with totally foreign degrees, the probabilities of getting a tenure track job anywhere are so low that is ridiculous to base your destination on them. Established professors with high reputations don't suddenly immigrate with no prospects.

I dont understand why Canada is giving maximum points for immigration and bringing these educated immigrants to work in a labour force that is not remotely related to their education or training.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
It's two children per bedroom, at least in Calgary bylaws. I have verified that when I was helping some of the FSW workers look at rentals.

I think the "dream" is every child gets their own space, but reality is you can have 2-3 children legally share a bedroom in most places.
There is this Canadian standard called CNOS:

The Canadian National Occupancy Standard

The Canadian National Occupancy Standard (CNOS) has been developed by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) to help determine the number of bedrooms a dwelling should have to provide freedom from crowding. The CNOS is based on the number, age, sex and interrelationships of household members.

The CNOS states that
No more than two people shall share a bedroom
Parents or couples may share a bedroom
Children under 5 years, either of the same sex or opposite sex may share a bedroom
Children under 18 years of the same sex may share a bedroom
A child aged 5 to 17 years should not share a bedroom with a child under 5 of the opposite sex
Single adults 18 years and over and any unpaired children require a separate bedroom
However, this is not a law. If your home is clean and your children are fed, I am sure nobody is going to come and take your children away because you don't go by these rules. Note that according to the rules, parents can not keep a baby in their bedroom and I am sure many people do.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Leon said:
Why go to Toronto? There are a lot more jobs in AB.
yeah why not if he wants to.Literally I just wanted to say please come and experience the life here beforehand.

I wish I could visit AB it`s so beautiful :) Lucky people who live in AB.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
on-hold said:
As an American, I honestly don't understand what people mean when they say Americans are 'frank' and Canadians aren't. The two peoples are so similar to each other, and both countries have so many immigrants, that it's really absurd to talk about the national characters being separate. This idea that all of Canada is more similar to itself than it is to the States, and that Texas and Minnesota have more in common with each other than either does with Canada, is ridiculous. The internal differences within either Canada or the USA are far greater than the differences between them. The most important difference, disregarding the language issue, is that Canadians mostly agree on a vision of the government as a competent bureaucracy backed by statistics, logic, and science -- but that's not a cultural trait that you'll pick up on the streets of Toronto.
You will never understand and feel what immigrants feel if you were born in the states.
I`ve been living in Toronto for 3 years now and changed 5 different jobs so far (chef-condo cleaner-salesperson-cashier 2x-waiter).My Indian manager fired me and told me I have no common sense.(I was working for Popeyes) actually he re-hired another guy who went on a holiday before he had hired me.

Once I was being interviewed at a Tim hortons,the manager said " I do not understand your accent,the interview is over" I was so naive I could not do anything and I needed money a lot at that time.

One of my classmates,a white Canadian girl, said "because you have dark skin and dark eyes,people do not want to be friends with you" as if I asked them to make babies together.

No need to share more.There are very little nice people left in Toronto.

it will not be fun if something like "anglo saxon canadians v.s immigrants " happens.Most people think telling people directly what they think about them is wrong.NO it is not.If you like me,you tell me.No need to play games most people play here.When they need help,they ask for it.When they do not,they do not even try to have a friendship.

The fact is that America will always be admired.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
bkara said:
You will never understand and feel what immigrants feel if you were born in the states.
I`ve been living in Toronto for 3 years now and changed 5 different jobs so far (chef-condo cleaner-salesperson-cashier 2x-waiter).My Indian manager fired me and told me I have no common sense.(I was working for Popeyes) actually he re-hired another guy who went on a holiday before he had hired me.

Once I was being interviewed at a Tim hortons,the manager said " I do not understand your accent,the interview is over" I was so naive I could not do anything and I needed money a lot at that time.

One of my classmates,a white Canadian girl, said "because you have dark skin and dark eyes,people do not want to be friends with you" as if I asked them to make babies together.

No need to share more.There are very little nice people left in Toronto.

it will not be fun if something like "anglo saxon canadians v.s immigrants " happens.Most people think telling people directly what they think about them is wrong.NO it is not.If you like me,you tell me.No need to play games most people play here.When they need help,they ask for it.When they do not,they do not even try to have a friendship.

The fact is that America will always be admired.
First of all, I am an immigrant. There aren't two classes of immigrants, ones who have it tough and Americans who get handed sacks of money. Sure, it's easier for an American to integrate here; it's easier for a engineer to integrate than an Albanian humanities prof; it's easier for a French-speaking computer programmer to immigrate than a Somali refugee. I don't care, and I'm not going to spend the rest of my life pretending I'm half an immigrant -- I chose to come to Canada like everyone else.

This is an example of 'issue creep' which I have encountered before when discussing this subject. Someone brings up Canada vs. America, and then if I disagree, it's pointed out to me that I'm white, and not qualified to discuss racism. We weren't discussing racism, we were discussing the similarities/differences between the United States and Canada. As a native American who went to university in Canada and live here now, I consider myself perfectly qualified to comment on this issue (that is, English Canada), with much more authority than immigrants to Canada who have never lived in the United States. It's not because I'm white, an African American with my background would have an equally relevant perspective. If you consider yourself equally qualified, tell me what your background in America is.

Secondly, the issue we were discussing was the 'frankness' of Americans vs. Canadians. The two episodes you just mentioned were, frankly, far more 'frank' than is socially acceptable in America. You are actually agreeing with me, that it is absurd to consider Canadians more reticent than Americans. Thank you.

I can't comment on your first incident -- I have no idea if you have common sense or not.

I don't know what I think about the second incident. If I was interviewing you, I would not have handled it like that. Perhaps the manager is racist, perhaps it was a position that required a lot of customer service. I have no idea what your accent is like.

The third incident you describe is not racist -- the woman is not saying she doesn't want to be friends with you, she's saying that other people are racist.

Toronto is half immigrant -- if you consider all native Torontonians racist, which is not true, that leaves half of the huge city which is not.

This entire thread was comparative -- unless you have extensive experience living in the United States, I just don't care that you have had three unpleasant incidents here in Canada. It doesn't cast any light at all on what your experience would have been like in Mobile, Jacksonville, New York City, or Cheyenne.

Fine, America will always be admired. Why? Certainly not because it is less racist than the United States -- please google 'rodeo clown imitates Obama' and ask yourself if that could happen in Canada. Because it's easier to make money there? Maybe slightly, that's what this thread was about, that and Canadians being 'non-frank' (thanks for your support on that, by the way). How did you understand it to be about racism?

A smart commenter in another thread asked why some people who have a problem with Canada fetishize America. It really is a good question -- why would someone who finds Canada racist want to live in the United States? If you could answer that, I'd be very interested.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
I dont know why Canadian companies cant grow globally there have been many cases where foreign companies tried to create joint ventures with Canadian companies but due to government involvement they couldnt expand. There is no one specific regulation rather a number of regulations that prevent Canadian companies to grow globally. I am not sure what Canadians are so scared of.
I think Husky Energy Inc is a Canadian and multinational company.

imani007

Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2014
Nomination.....
25-08-2014
Med's Request
18-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
LANDED..........
01-02-2016
steaky said:
I think Husky Energy Inc is a Canadian and multinational company.
Thanks for sharing

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this the reality of Canada? When I hear this it makes me not to even immigrate to Canada. I never thought it could be so worse like you have described in this thread. :eek: