+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce PR remove 3 year financial responsibility?

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
Hello, before I was married to a Saudi Arabian and I sponsored him for PR when do the family class. We are separated, filed for divorce. He’s not received his PR card in the mail, and when I log into the portal it still says pending, it’s actually been that way for a long time but he’s already been granted the PR, he got his new SIN number AND the letter for Confirmation of PR

I tried to cancel the visa, but the immigration keeps saying that they require me to do it in writing, but they also say that the decision was already made on the file so I’m not able to withdraw the application.

but I was looking up online that you can voluntarily renounce your permanent residence

I tried to ask IRCC, they keep responding with a generic email and they don’t actually respond to my request.

I want to know, if you volunteerly renounced his permanent residence does the sponsorship go away? Will that three-year period that I am financially responsible for him and not able to sponsor anybody else go away?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I want to know, if you volunteerly renounced his permanent residence does the sponsorship go away? Will that three-year period that I am financially responsible for him and not able to sponsor anybody else go away?
You wish to 'voluntarily' renounce his PR status for him?

That's not how voluntary works. Nor renunciation (which is something the individual must do on their own behalf).

If he is a PR, only he can renounce his PR status - or the government can revoke it (for various reasons that mostly have nothing to do with you).

In other words, you cannot revoke his status.

And as long as he is a PR, you are financially responsible - that sponsorship undertaking is irrevocable.

Alexis1971

Feb 16, 2020
Hello, before I was married to a Saudi Arabian and I sponsored him for PR when do the family class. We are separated, filed for divorce. He’s not received his PR card in the mail, and when I log into the portal it still says pending, it’s actually been that way for a long time but he’s already been granted the PR, he got his new SIN number AND the letter for Confirmation of PR

I tried to cancel the visa, but the immigration keeps saying that they require me to do it in writing, but they also say that the decision was already made on the file so I’m not able to withdraw the application.

but I was looking up online that you can voluntarily renounce your permanent residence

I tried to ask IRCC, they keep responding with a generic email and they don’t actually respond to my request.

I don't believe you can renounce his PR...he renounces it on his own. You are looking to have his PR revoke.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
You wish to 'voluntarily' renounce his PR status for him?

That's not how voluntary works. Nor renunciation (which is something the individual must do on their own behalf).

If he is a PR, only he can renounce his PR status - or the government can revoke it (for various reasons that mostly have nothing to do with you).

In other words, you cannot revoke his status.
No I mean, he wants to. He wants to leave. He will do anything to help resolve this issue because he doesn’t want to burden me for being financially responsible. He has no problem with it. We tried to stop his permanent residence application from even going through because there’s no point in him staying in Canada if we’re not together anymore. He’s prepared to leave but he’s been trying to figure out what’s going to happen. has no problem with it.

he would be the one to renounce it. He doesn’t wanna stay in Canada. He was going to leave without even getting his PR card, cause he doesn’t wanna wait but he doesn’t wanna have me stuck in some bs

Alexis1971

Feb 16, 2020
No I mean, he wants to. He wants to leave. He will do anything to help resolve this issue because he doesn’t want to burden me for being financially responsible. He has no problem with it. We tried to stop his permanent residence application from even going through because there’s no point in him staying in Canada if we’re not together anymore. He’s prepared to leave but he’s been trying to figure out what’s going to happen. has no problem with it.

he would be the one to renounce it. He doesn’t wanna stay in Canada. He was going to leave without even getting his PR card, cause he doesn’t wanna wait but he doesn’t wanna have me stuck in some bs
just google it, the forms are online

Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Permanent Resident Status - Canada.ca

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No I mean, he wants to. He wants to leave. He will do anything to help resolve this issue because he doesn’t want to burden me for being financially responsible. He has no problem with it. We tried to stop his permanent residence application from even going through because there’s no point in him staying in Canada if we’re not together anymore. He’s prepared to leave but he’s been trying to figure out what’s going to happen. Because if I’m going to be stuck in a three-year commitment, he has to stay in Canada just so that he can work, just so that he can support me becausHe has no problem with it. We tried to stop his permanent residence application from even going through because there’s no point in him staying in Canada if we’re not together anymore. He’s prepared to leave but he’s been trying to figure out what’s going to happen to me

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying.

In short, neither you nor he actually need to do anything - as long as he does not make a claim for social assistance from the government (governments, any level), then you will not be liable for anything. The government will not (and cannot) come after you for anything unless he incurs some debt from government (and even then limited to social assistance, mainly).

He can leave tomorrow without doing anything, no need to renounce his status (unless he wishes to). Any other arrangements between you are your own business as part of divorce.

Sure, if he renounces his status, then I would guess there is no way for him to be eligible for social assistance (if what both of you want is a guarantee). But frankly more simple for everyone if he just leaves the country (or remains and doesn't ask for social assistance).

Up to you and he to decide (although again, only he can renounce his status).

Reactions: Underhill

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying.

In short, neither you nor he actually need to do anything - as long as he does not make a claim for social assistance from the government (governments, any level), then you will not be liable for anything. The government will not (and cannot) come after you for anything unless he incurs some debt from government (and even then limited to social assistance, mainly).

He can leave tomorrow without doing anything, no need to renounce his status (unless he wishes to). Any other arrangements between you are your own business as part of divorce.

Sure, if he renounces his status, then I would guess there is no way for him to be eligible for social assistance (if what both of you want is a guarantee). But frankly more simple for everyone if he just leaves the country (or remains and doesn't ask for social assistance).

Up to you and he to decide (although again, only he can renounce his status).
But I can’t sponsor another immigrant to come if I am under that 3 year responsibility , so he wants to remove it completely

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
But I can’t sponsor another immigrant to come if I am under that 3 year responsibility , so he wants to remove it completely
If he has already landed as a PR (He already got his SIN ...etc. So I think he has landed), there is no way to "undo" what has been done. Even after he renounce his PR, you cannot sponsor yet another spouse. This is such a rare case that IRCC do not have a special rule to remove people from the under-taking even if the landed spouse renounce his/her PR.

Wait 3 years.

Reactions: armoured

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
It must be able to go away, since if the guy I sponsored dies, then it goes away. Wouldn’t it also go away it he renounced his PR?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It must be able to go away, since if the guy I sponsored dies, then it goes away. Wouldn’t it also go away it he renounced his PR?
You have the link about a dead spouse and you can sponsor again in less than 3 years!? It's an eye-opener.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Honestly I doubt it's ever come up. Consult a lawyer if you wish to see if there's a way, but I'm not aware that they've provided for such a case.

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
You have the link about a dead spouse and you can sponsor again in less than 3 years!? It's an eye-opener.
yeah , I’m Muslim so I wasn’t gonna wait more than 3 years to get married I want kids. The first husband didn’t give me kids, he didn’t work, it was terrible situation. I think he used me for visa but no evidence of this, maybe he didn’t maybe he did. But I am already islamically married abroad to someone new.

eventually after the divorce I want to remarry in Canada to my new husband and then sponsor him. But I don’t want there to be some weird 3 year tie to someone else, it’s especially weird for me to think the immigration would have such requirement even if the person got rid of their PR and left Canada. It should dissolve the 3 year sponsorship, but I can’t find any legal document that confirms it…..I mean logically without PR you can’t get welfare or anything.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah , I’m Muslim so I wasn’t gonna wait more than 3 years to get married I want kids. The first husband didn’t give me kids, he didn’t work, it was terrible situation. I think he used me for visa but no evidence of this, maybe he didn’t maybe he did. But I am already islamically married abroad to someone new.

eventually after the divorce I want to remarry in Canada to my new husband and then sponsor him. But I don’t want there to be some weird 3 year tie to someone else, it’s especially weird for me to think the immigration would have such requirement even if the person got rid of their PR and left Canada. It should dissolve the 3 year sponsorship, but I can’t find any legal document that confirms it…..I mean logically without PR you can’t get welfare or anything.
I would recommend speaking to an immigration lawyer to confirm. I don't know the answer for certain. Note that only your current husband can submit the application to revoke his own PR status. You cannot do this for him.

In terms of sponsoring someone new, you will first need to be separated from your current husband for a year before you will be able to file for divorce in Canada (in other words, filing for divorce required 1 year of separation). Make sure you do not marry your new spouse until AFTER your divorce is 100% finalized. Otherwise Canada will not recognize your second marriage.

Pehsawarlove

Oct 6, 2021
I would recommend speaking to an immigration lawyer to confirm. I don't know the answer for certain. Note that only your current husband can submit the application to revoke his own PR status. You cannot do this for him.

In terms of sponsoring someone new, you will first need to be separated from your current husband for a year before you will be able to file for divorce in Canada (in other words, filing for divorce required 1 year of separation). Make sure you do not marry your new spouse until AFTER your divorce is 100% finalized. Otherwise Canada will not recognize your second marriage.
Yeah I know Canada doesn’t recognize it, I won’t try to remarry him till I get the divorce paper.

I’m applying for tourist visa for him, but I’m also wondering what to put cause it asks him “are you married” and he wants to say yes but I don’t know should he say yes or no, cause according To Pakistani law we are married, according to Canadian law no.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah I know Canada doesn’t recognize it, I won’t try to remarry him till I get the divorce paper.

I’m applying for tourist visa for him, but I’m also wondering what to put cause it asks him “are you married” and he wants to say yes but I don’t know should he say yes or no, cause according To Pakistani law we are married, according to Canadian law no.
I don't know what the right answer is for the TRV.