+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce PR or am I eligible to extend it?

Meghana

Oct 6, 2015
I had a Canadian PR in the year 1997 (that's when I landed in Canada). I came to India is 1999. Since then, i've never gone back. All this while, I thought my PR had expired. Now, in 2016, I applied for Study permit to study in Canada. They have sent me an e-mail asking me to either extend my PR (if I'm eligible for it) or renounce my PR status and apply for a study permit.

1. What should I do? Given an option, I would obviously love to retain the PR, but am I eligible to retain it? After 1999 (when I was 8 years old) I have never entered Canada.

2. If I choose to renounce the PR and go to Canada using Study permit, can I apply for my PR again in a few more years? I know I have to start from scratch.....but will this come into the picture....about me having renounced my PR now?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Meghana said:
1. What should I do? Given an option, I would obviously love to retain the PR, but am I eligible to retain it? After 1999 (when I was 8 years old) I have never entered Canada.
You are still a PR, but don't meet the residency obligation. So if you try to get a new PR card or when you try to enter Canada, you may be flagged for not meeting RO and CIC will start process to revoke your PR status.

The only real chance to keep your PR status is if you had some H&C reasons for not returning to Canada after you turned 18 (i.e. due to a serious medical condition of you or a family member beyond your control). If you just stayed in home country due to school/work, that would most likely not be considered a H&C reason.

2. If I choose to renounce the PR and go to Canada using Study permit, can I apply for my PR again in a few more years? I know I have to start from scratch.....but will this come into the picture....about me having renounced my PR now?
Yes if you qualify in the future, you can certainly apply for PR again.

Lakesyde

Nov 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Accra VO
NOC Code......
XX17
App. Filed.......
XX-03-2014 (MPNP)
Nomination.....
XX-08-2015
AOR Received.
XX-01-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
XX-06-2017
Med's Done....
XX-06-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
XX--07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
XX--08-2017
LANDED..........
28-09-2017
Meghana said:
I had a Canadian PR in the year 1997 (that's when I landed in Canada). I came to India is 1999. Since then, i've never gone back. All this while, I thought my PR had expired. Now, in 2016, I applied for Study permit to study in Canada. They have sent me an e-mail asking me to either extend my PR (if I'm eligible for it) or renounce my PR status and apply for a study permit.

Better you look for a good reason to retain that PR.