+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce PR and Re-Apply in Future?

james86

Jul 5, 2017
Hello All,

I will keep it short and straight-forward. I got PR in Dec 2017 through Spouse Sponsorship (my wife is a Canadian Citizen). We both now live in the US and work full time in US-based companies. I am on H1b visa and wife is on TN visa. I haven't been to Canada since Dec 2017. My questions are:
1) Am I maintaining my PR status living in the US when a Canadian citizen spouse is accompanying me? We don't work in a Canadian enterprise in the US.
2) If not, can I renounce my PR now and re-apply again when I will be sure that I would live in Canada because currently, I don't think I would be able to meet Residency Obligations to maintain PR?

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All,

I will keep it short and straight-forward. I got PR in Dec 2017 through Spouse Sponsorship (my wife is a Canadian Citizen). We both now live in the US and work full time in US-based companies. I am on H1b visa and wife is on TN visa. I haven't been to Canada since Dec 2017. My questions are:
1) Am I maintaining my PR status living in the US when a Canadian citizen spouse is accompanying me? We don't work in a Canadian enterprise in the US.
2) If not, can I renounce my PR now and re-apply again when I will be sure that I would live in Canada because currently, I don't think I would be able to meet Residency Obligations to maintain PR?

Thank you!
Your best bet is to do nothing at this point in time. You remain a PR, even if you don't meet the RO. There is an ongoing discussion regarding the practical aspect of the "accompanying" exemption in the forum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-accompanied-whom-can-matter-for-prs-living-with-citizen-spouse-abroad-update.579860/

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, probably a week.
Since you never moved to Canada it is hard to say that you were accompanying your wife to Canada. There is no point in renouncing your PR. Once your PR card expires you can reassess. As a US citizen you can enter Canada much easier than other citizens.