+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing your card from the United states or abroad

doc7

Jul 9, 2015
Hi Guys, I moved to Canada in 2010 as permanent resident. I then moved to the US in 2013 to pursue post graduate training in medicine. My wife who is a Canadian citizen moved with me. My PR card is now expired. I am eligible for renewal however I cannot return to Canada for another 2 years until I complete my training. Can I renew my card from the United States? I have relatives in Canada whose address I can provide for mailing purposes. Has anyone successfully applied for a PR card from abroad?
Thank you.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You need to apply for renewal from canada. Also you have to give canada address for card delivery.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
doc7 said:
Hi Guys, I moved to Canada in 2010 as permanent resident. I then moved to the US in 2013 to pursue post graduate training in medicine. My wife who is a Canadian citizen moved with me. My PR card is now expired. I am eligible for renewal however I cannot return to Canada for another 2 years until I complete my training. Can I renew my card from the United States? I have relatives in Canada whose address I can provide for mailing purposes. Has anyone successfully applied for a PR card from abroad?
Thank you.
The "can I?" question is inherently loaded. For example, many PRs in relatively similar scenarios have done this. So, sure, it can be done.

You allude to one avenue for how this might be done, using a relative's address in Canada . . . but you say you would use the relative's address for "mailing purposes." That does not work.

As ttrajan pointed out, eligibility for a new PR card requires the PR to apply from within Canada.

Item 12. in the application asks for your current residential address in Canada. You cannot leave this blank. You cannot put "N/A." And while many, many PRs have fudged this, and used a relative's address, or a trusted friend's address, you cannot truthfully use a mailing address, or any other address which is not where you actually reside.

You can use the relative's address in Item 12. However, you cannot do so truthfully.

Make no mistake, many, many do this. Many are successful. Many are not. I suppose it can depend on how willing the PR is to fudge other parts of the application, like the address history.

Make no mistake: the consequences for getting caught making a material misrepresentation far outweigh any convenience gained by having a currently valid PR card while living abroad.

In particular, as has been discussed in another topic here just this week: why risk making material misrepresentations which could result in serious consequences just to obtain a new PR card when you will not even be back in Canada for another two years?

There are many ways in which other PRs have approached this, albeit they are still fudging, still playing games with CIC, still risking way too much for so little. One is the PR who comes to Canada and actually stays with the relative long enough to make the application and . . . some wait to get the new card (the timeline for this has again gotten longer recently) . . . some plan to travel back and forth, to return as necessary to retrieve the new card or attend an interview if necessary. Despite how many have successfully done this, without encountering a problem, it is NOT worth the risk.

Note that among other potential snags: CIC will NOT mail the renewed PR card to a mailing address or to any address CIC perceives to be other than the address at which the PR is actually residing. Past CIC practices also precluded mailing notice to pick up the card to any address other than the address at which the PR is actually residing. I am not sure if that is the current practice, but overall CIC has implemented practices to preclude PRs from using addresses in Canada when their primary address really remains abroad.

We do not know to what extent those fudging are successful versus getting caught. At what point will the Canadian government go beyond merely denying the application, when the applicant is caught fudging, and prosecute for fraud, I do not know. What I do know, however, is that whatever convenience is gained by obtaining the new PR card is not worth the risk of being caught engaging in fraud in an application to CIC.

Also see discussion here:

dpenabill said:
. . . the PR relying on the exception for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad must also meet the other eligibility requirements for a new PR card.

This includes applying from within Canada.

I mention this because those PRs who encounter problems while applying for a renewed/new PR card, and who are relying on the exception for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad, tend to be those who are in part playing games with CIC in an effort to obtain a new PR card despite not really living in Canada when they make the application for the new PR card . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
To be clear, perhaps it should be noted with emphasis that there is NO need to have a currently valid PR card in order to maintain PR status.

All the valid PR card does is allow for the PR to board a flight abroad which is destined for Canada.

It is not necessary to have a currently valid PR card in order to keep PR status.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
You can renew your PR card from US all you have to do is in the PR Card renewal form fill out Canadian address thats it and send the package to your Canadian relative and they can courier it to CIC in Sydney....
If CIC put your file through Secondary review at that time they might send you some forms which will specifically ask are you outside of Canada and if so they will 99% ask you to go for PRTD and either of above cases you are in win win situation so who cares just go ahead and apply.

Thanks

doc7

Jul 9, 2015
Thank you all for the replies. I think the best policy is to always be honest with your situation and hope for the best..