+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing TRV from within Canada

heyhowareyou

Jul 12, 2020
I am currently living in Canada on a multiple-entry visitor visa (TRV), which is about to expire in a couple of months. I would like to renew the visa, and not merely extend it, so that I can exit and re-enter (I am married to a Canadian so I should be exempt from COVID restrictions on visitors).
My understanding is that a visitor record would not be helpful with re-entry.
1. Is there a way to "renew" a visitor visa, as opposed to applying for a new one?
2. If I have to apply for a new one, what are the things I should be aware of given COVID + fact that I would be applying from within Canada (are there significant delays?) + the fact that I have a spousal sponsorship application mailed (would it be weird to apply for a visitor visa if I obviously have an intention to stay as a PR in the future)?

thank you in advance!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. No
2. If you are already in Canada, I don’t think your TRV application will be prioritized. When is your next intended re-entry?

heyhowareyou

Jul 12, 2020
1. No
2. If you are already in Canada, I don’t think your TRV application will be prioritized. When is your next intended re-entry?
2. I don't have a specific date for re-entry, but if I get out of Canada after January (which is likely due to some professional circumstances) I will want to be able to come back at an arbitrary point after I finish responsibilities abroad. I don't have the dates, but I want to have the visa valid the whole time, so that I don't find myself stuck abroad. I'm trying to be proactive about this and renew the visa as early as possible, so if I apply now I'm fine even if it takes couple of months to get processed.

I spent two hours filling out forms yesterday only to realize there is no way to apply online if you're within Canada and I need a different type of application. It's been very confusing.

Thanks for any help

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I spent two hours filling out forms yesterday only to realize there is no way to apply online if you're within Canada and I need a different type of application. It's been very confusing.

Thanks for any help
Yeah, because applying for TRV within Canada is only reserved for those with study or worker's permits, and you don't have either. You would have to select a country outside of Canada as your current country of residence in the online questionnaire if you want to reach the TRV application.

That's why I asked when your intention to travel was, so that you can justify why you need to apply for a new TRV.

But I totally see it from your point of view too--no telling how long processing times actually are, given the reduced resources and high demand.

heyhowareyou

Jul 12, 2020
Yeah, because applying for TRV within Canada is only reserved for those with study or worker's permits, and you don't have either. You would have to select a country outside of Canada as your current country of residence in the online questionnaire if you want to reach the TRV application.

That's why I asked when your intention to travel was, so that you can justify why you need to apply for a new TRV.

But I totally see it from your point of view too--no telling how long processing times actually are, given the reduced resources and high demand.
I see, so do you recommend waiting to get out of Canada to apply or apply within Canada now but say my residence is out of Canada?