+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing Status after receiving PNP work permit support letter

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
I recently applied to BC PNP and was approved and received a work permit support letter for extending my work visa. I am in Canada and have been working under IEC working holiday and that visa expired at the end of January. Before my PNP application was approved and I received my work permit support letter, my visa expired, and I applied to renew as a temporary visitor until then. I then received my PNP approval and permit support letter, and I sent my support letter to supplement my application but my work permit extension was denied immediately after, so I'm not sure what role the work permit support letter played. They said I could apply within 90 days to renew my status.

Any hope of being able to renew my work visa now? Still working for the employer who is sponsoring me during this process and I have yet to finish my PR application, I only have the BC PNP work permit support letter.

Thanks!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I recently applied to BC PNP and was approved and received a work permit support letter for extending my work visa. I am in Canada and have been working under IEC working holiday and that visa expired at the end of January. Before my PNP application was approved and I received my work permit support letter, my visa expired, and I applied to renew as a temporary visitor until then. I then received my PNP approval and permit support letter, and I sent my support letter to supplement my application but my work permit extension was denied immediately after, so I'm not sure what role the work permit support letter played. They said I could apply within 90 days to renew my status.

Any hope of being able to renew my work visa now? Still working for the employer who is sponsoring me during this process and I have yet to finish my PR application, I only have the BC PNP work permit support letter.

Thanks!
Your employer have to apply for closed work permit for you. He have to submit offer of employment in employer portal and pay $230 fees and you have to put that your number which will start with AXxxxxxx and nine digit in your work permit application. You have to apply for closed work permit. When is your visitor status expired? If it’s already expired then you have to submit restoration application with work permit application too .
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/partners-service-providers/employer-portal.html

Reactions: kyeno1

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks so much for the response, I'm not entirely sure when my visitor status expires, I'm assuming it expired already. The rejection letter just says that my temporary residency expired, does that also mean visitor? It says I can submit within 90 days to renew my status as a temporary resident. Either way I will gladly just apply to restore that as well, I'm assuming this means for now I have to stop working, but can stay in Canada for the time being until it's processed?

Thanks again!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks so much for the response, I'm not entirely sure when my visitor status expires, I'm assuming it expired already. The rejection letter just says that my temporary residency expired, does that also mean visitor? It says I can submit within 90 days to renew my status as a temporary resident. Either way I will gladly just apply to restore that as well, I'm assuming this means for now I have to stop working, but can stay in Canada for the time being until it's processed?

Thanks again!
Yes you have 90 days to apply for restoration of your status. If you don’t do within 90 days , you will fell out of status. Make sure your employer submit offer on f employment and then you apply for closed work permit along with restoration application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/restoration-extension-trv.html

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
So one more quick question, would this be an LMIA exempt job offer? I have been nominated for permanent residency through the BC PNP express entry program as a tech worker, and have been working in my current job for about 9 months, with 3 years of IT experience. I also have a BC work permit support letter. My employer has had a hard time filling the position as we're on an island and there are no workers with tech experience. We're an internet service provider for about a thousand rural residents who have no other option for internet.

Thanks a bunch, haven't been able to find an exact answer yet

Last edited:

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
So one more quick question, would this be an LMIA exempt job offer? I have been nominated for permanent residency through the BC PNP express entry program as a tech worker, and have been working in my current job for about 9 months, with 3 years of IT experience. I also have a BC work permit support letter. My employer has had a hard time filling the position as we're on an island and there are no workers with tech experience. We're an internet service provider for about a thousand rural residents who have no other option for internet.

Thanks a bunch, haven't been able to find an exact answer yet
Yes this is Lmia excempt job offer but you work permit will be tied to your current job position and Noc code. If you want you can change job but don’t do that .

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
Great thanks So next step is just for my employer to continue with the offer of employment submission and proceed through the LMIA except pathway and explain why its LMIA exempt?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Great thanks So next step is just for my employer to continue with the offer of employment submission and proceed through the LMIA except pathway and explain why its LMIA exempt?
Yeah because if you have ongoing permanent residence application going on , you can apply for BOWP which is open work permit but here you applied for work permit which got rejected and you have expired status and only option right now is to apply for employer specific work permit. Lmia excempt is that pnp already nominated you and you are needed by your employer. For this specific statement read on your work support letter it will tell you what us Lmia excempt.

olios1332

Star Member
Jan 29, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Belgrade VFS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Yes this is Lmia excempt job offer but you work permit will be tied to your current job position and Noc code. If you want you can change job but don’t do that .

I have to get on this tread and ask a question..

I should go on SINP international skilled worker stream, and I will also get work support letter. I am outside Canada and I haven't applied for any type of Canadian visa thus far.

My question is: When i get work support letter i can apply for closed work permit (exempt LMIA) that i know, but if I have understood you correctly my employer has to apply for something as well before i make my submission?

What is that is that also type of LMIA or ?

Thank you

PillaresEXIMLLP

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
I have to get on this tread and ask a question..

I should go on SINP international skilled worker stream, and I will also get work support letter. I am outside Canada and I haven't applied for any type of Canadian visa thus far.

My question is: When i get work support letter i can apply for closed work permit (exempt LMIA) that i know, but if I have understood you correctly my employer has to apply for something as well before i make my submission?

What is that is that also type of LMIA or ?

Thank you
It is the LMIA Employer Compliance fee your employer has to pay by creating an account with ESDC once they pay the $230 they will get a LMIA number which you will need while applying for your work permit.

Reactions: rasutherland1

Kpant34

Star Member
May 2, 2023
@Miss bee I have quick question. I’m trying to renew our work permit(still 9 months to expire) my non express PR timelines in signature. My PNP nomination is on my ICT offer and I already have my PNP support letter. For work permit extension do I need to still get letter of employment from my employer? Currently my work permit extension is handled by immigration consultant and will my company still need to pay this fee?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
@Miss bee I have quick question. I’m trying to renew our work permit(still 9 months to expire) my non express PR timelines in signature. My PNP nomination is on my ICT offer and I already have my PNP support letter. For work permit extension do I need to still get letter of employment from my employer? Currently my work permit extension is handled by immigration consultant and will my company still need to pay this fee?
Depends what kind of work permit are you applying. If you are applying for closed work permit, your employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and give you job number starting with A123456789 and you have to put that in your work permit application and have to pay $230 employer compliance fees . You have to attach copy of your passport, old work permit, nomination letter, work permit support letter, a job letter and on safe side you can attach couple of paystubs.

Reactions: Kpant34