+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR when residency requirements are not completed

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
Due to several reasons, my parents, who did landing in 2019, could not complete residency requirements for PR. I would still want to request extension as things have changed since then. They could only visit 9 months in the 5 yrs term but are currently in Canada to try to complete as much as they can
Arrived Apr 2019 - did landing. Left Sep 2019
Arrived May 2022 - left Sep 2022
Arrived Apr 2024 just before the PR card expiry. Currently in Canada\

What are my options if my parents have to leave with an year again? My dad has a business in India.
Should I try to renew and request extension while they are in Canada
OR
Should I try to renew PR card when they are out and has another 6-7 months added this year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Due to several reasons, my parents, who did landing in 2019, could not complete residency requirements for PR. I would still want to request extension as things have changed since then. They could only visit 9 months in the 5 yrs term but are currently in Canada to try to complete as much as they can
Arrived Apr 2019 - did landing. Left Sep 2019
Arrived May 2022 - left Sep 2022
Arrived Apr 2024 just before the PR card expiry. Currently in Canada\

What are my options if my parents have to leave with an year again? My dad has a business in India.
OR
Should I try to renew PR card when they are out and has another 6-7 months added this year?
There's going to be no good answer for you here. They should only renew once they meet the residency obligation and not leave Canada until then. Keep in mind that it's a rolling obligation so they are going to start losing the days from 2019.

Reactions: YVR123

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot request an `extension'. The PR Card expires and a new one is applied for.

There best option is to remain in Canada until they have accrued at least 730 days in Canada on the day that they submit their PR Card renewal applications. It is truly the best option for them.

They are welcome to leave Canada, obviously, but without a valid PR card, would not be able to return to Canada via a commercial carrier. They would have to return via the U.S. and enter Canada either in a private vehicle, or on foot. They could apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada, but unless they have strong H&C grounds, it could be refused...starting the possible revocation of their PR status.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If they choose to leave Canada, they won't be able to meet their RO. They cannot renew their PR cards before they meet their minimum RO.
Once they leave, they will need to get PRTD. Having a business is NOT a H&C ground to stay out.
You understand under the current policy, it's really hard to apply to sponsor them again (lottery, still picking from 2020 poll of interest to apply).
Would your mother consider to stay to meet her RO? At least she would be able to sponsor her spouse in case he lost his PR.
How about staying until they both meet RO to apply for PR card renewal and manage his business remotely?

OR
There is no extension and renew before they meet their RO (or could meet their RO at all in the first 5 years) will be refused.
You again cannot renew their PR cards before they don't meet RO (6-7 months add won't meet RO) and PR cards renewal can only be applied when they are inside Canada.