+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR status

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi guys,

I got my PR card just over 5 years ago but I have been out of the country for more than 730days in the past 5 years. I recently moved back to canada permanently for a job but my PR card will expire in a month

I wanted to renew my PR card. Has anyone had experience with renewing PR card with more than 730 days out of the country. I am just shy of meeting the requirement, approx 800 days out of the country. COVID also did impact travel this past year.

any advice would help

Reactions: usamah.js

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The test is whether you have been in Canada more than 730 days in the five years from the time you apply. Or out of Canada less than 1095 days.

usamah.js

Nov 8, 2017
Hi guys,

I got my PR card just over 5 years ago but I have been out of the country for more than 730days in the past 5 years. I recently moved back to canada permanently for a job but my PR card will expire in a month

I wanted to renew my PR card. Has anyone had experience with renewing PR card with more than 730 days out of the country. I am just shy of meeting the requirement, approx 800 days out of the country. COVID also did impact travel this past year.

any advice would help

Hello, I also want to know more detail about this. If during the 5 years of my PR, I am unable to complete the 730 days but i am residing in Canada. Can I complete the remaining period till my 730 days and then apply to renew my PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I also want to know more detail about this. If during the 5 years of my PR, I am unable to complete the 730 days but i am residing in Canada. Can I complete the remaining period till my 730 days and then apply to renew my PR?
Short form: yes, if you are in Canada and you are short of days (for any five year period) and you remain in Canada until you get those 730 days, there is no issue. You're in Canada legally and can work, everything, except for the (few) things where PR card may be required.

The issue of non-compliance basically only comes up when 'examined' - first and foremost, entering the country, and then other interactions like applying to renew PR card, attempting to sponsor a family member, etc.

Or looked at differently: when you last entered Canada and it was clear that you could not get compliant within that first five year period (meaning you had been out of Canada more than 1095 days total since landing), that was the critical point - you were given leniency at that point.

Now you 'make good' on the leniency at border by remaining in Canada (at least that's the easiest way).

There's a sub-forum here that mostly covers the residency obligation, you may find useful threads there:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/