+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Hello everyone,
I had sent in my PR renewing application on January 22,2018. CIC received it on the 26th of January. Started processing April 11,2018. Since then it's been saying in process.
Anybody in similar situation who applied in January?
it's now exceeded the processing time, which is now 99 days.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Hi.... you have to wait a bit more I think because website shows they are currently working on applications received January 22...

So you should probably get a decision made in about a week or 2... then the card will go into the production queue, after it is produced you will get the notification on when it has been mailed....

Shuga

Nov 26, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2008
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
31-01-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2012
Med's Done....
03-03-2012 and 03-07-2012
similar timing - status In Process:
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 25, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 16, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on April 16, 2018.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
similar timing - status In Process:
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 25, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 16, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on April 16, 2018.
In your case... when their processing gets to January 25 , a couple days later you will see ecas change to decision made... then the card goes into production... then it is mailed to you.... and ecas will update to show complete...

Eagle822

Feb 13, 2012
Hello everyone,
I had sent in my PR renewing application on January 22,2018. CIC received it on the 26th of January. Started processing April 11,2018. Since then it's been saying in process.
Anybody in similar situation who applied in January?
it's now exceeded the processing time, which is now 99 days.

Wow, I had hope it will be shorter. I just send my application for re-renewal 3 weeks ago :(

hredd

May 8, 2018
Hello,
I wanted to ask how long does it usually take for the renewed PR Card to be sent ?
thanks

Last edited:

hredd

May 8, 2018
But I previously read that it took a month or so . is there any way to speed up the process?
Or if it is " decision made" can we travel abroad ?
thank you

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
But I previously read that it took a month or so . is there any way to speed up the process?
thank you
Current estimated time for a pr card renewal is 99 days... that is if it is a routine case.... if a case becomes none routine then it becomes a whole new ball game...

Today is May 7 and they are working on applications received in January... that tells you a lot....

An application case can be made urgent but it has to qualify based on IRCC criteria to be eligible for urgent processing....

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
thank you
Canada does NOT impose any restrictions on PRs regarding traveling abroad. Thus, so far as Canada is concerned, a PR can always travel abroad. No restrictions.

A PR is statutorily entitled to entry into Canada, even if the PR does not have a valid PR card or PR Travel Document.

So yes, of course, you can travel abroad . . . subject to the laws and rules in the countries where you will travel (which laws and rules can vary considerably depending on what passport the PR carries).

HOWEVER, PRs do need either a valid PR card or a PR TD in order to board commercial transportation (like an airline) coming to Canada.

That is, there are some practical considerations to take into account, not the least of which is that in order to be approved for a boarding pass on a flight destined to Canada, a PR needs to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document. The logistics involved in obtaining a PR TD while abroad vary considerably depending on the PR's particular status and history (for example, the visa office makes a determination as to PR Residency Obligation compliance, so the PR's application for the PR TD needs to document and prove compliance, and if this is a close-call question that can delay the process), and on the particular visa office involved (PR TD applications can take longer or be at risk for problems in some parts of the world).

Another practical consideration relates to the duration of the planned trip and whether perhaps the new PR card could be issued and mailed to the PR while the PR is abroad. The old PR card is cancelled as of when the new card is issued to the PR. There has been scant reporting about this, so it is NOT clear whether the PR abroad can still use the PR card in possession to board a flight back to Canada. My GUESS (emphasis on it just being a guess) is that this will be OK for a short trip and the return is within a short period of time when the new card is issued. BUT again we have seen scant reporting about this and technically the old PR card is no longer valid. If the old card is no longer usable for boarding a flight to Canada, obviously the PR will need to obtain a PR TD or arrange travel via the U.S. (so as to arrive at a land crossing PoE using private transportation).

In contrast, if the PR is abroad for an extended period of time after the new card has been issued, better to obtain the PR TD for the return flight (unless someone in Canada can collect the PR card from the PR's mail and then in turn send or otherwise deliver the card to the PR abroad) and not try relying on the old PR card.

Note: if the old card is still valid and there is a notice to the PR to pick up the new PR card at a local IRCC office (rather than IRCC mailing it to the PR), the old PR card should still be usable as long as it has not expired.

Reactions: hredd

LadyA

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
They say that they are working on applications sent in January. So, why do I see “decision made” when my application was sent in February?
Smhh IRCC

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Hi.... you have to wait a bit more I think because website shows they are currently working on applications received January 22...

So you should probably get a decision made in about a week or 2... then the card will go into the production queue, after it is produced you will get the notification on when it has been mailed....

Thanks for replying. I checked today and it says Decision made, so I'm hoping I should have my card soon.

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Wow, I had hope it will be shorter. I just send my application for re-renewal 3 weeks ago :(
It is really frustrating. I had called CIC in March to confirm if they have my file. Representative over the phone informed me if I need it urgent, I can submit another file with explanation and documents required for urgent.
Unfortunately if it's not urgent.. You do have to wait a lot.

rupesh.gunapati

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
in Toronto downtown
What to do in my case

I just checked my pr card status, it says complete and below is the status. I checked the mailing address, it's perfect in their status page. It's been 3 weeks, but i haven't received any card to the mailing address in Ottawa. What should i do now. Please help. Thanks!
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 11, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 27, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on March 27, 2018.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on April 23, 2018

Pmalhi

Star Member
May 8, 2018
What to do in my case

I just checked my pr card status, it says complete and below is the status. I checked the mailing address, it's perfect in their status page. It's been 3 weeks, but i haven't received any card to the mailing address in Ottawa. What should i do now. Please help. Thanks!
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 11, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 27, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on March 27, 2018.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on April 23, 2018

I was told it can take upto 6 weeks after they send it. But usually it does arrive faster.
Maybe give them a call next week.