+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renewing pr card with a criminal record

CECEZ

Jan 28, 2012
good day all, my pr card is nearing its expiration date soon and i have lived in Canada since acquiring pr status. Unfortunately during that time i was arrested and convicted to probation for participating in a fight, which was a very stupid mistake. I am still on probation for another year and i am working on terminating the order, i fear that i might be deported once my card expires. i could really use your advice on how to go about renewing my pr card and retaining my pr status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if that is considered serious enough to get deported. Maybe you should talk to a lawyer about this.

Some tips to swing immigration your way:

Do you have family in Canada? If yes, you can claim H&C grounds for taking care of your family.

Also try to show that you are a better person and will not make the same mistake again. If you were drunk when this happened, show that you have gone to rehab or taken some courses or are attending AA meetings regularly. If you were sober, show that you have taken anger management.

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
All depends on what you were convicted of.....

Simple assault......sentenced to less than 6 months imprisonment...... Non-Reportable
Assault with a weapon......Reportable

If the offence is serious enough to warrant a report then you will be given ample opportunitys to provide information to the officers responsible for the report and/or the decision to refer you to hearing. Then you would go before a Immigration Division Member (Judge) who would issue the removal order. Then you probably would have a right to appeal......(in most simple cases would be granted)

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless you are planning a trip abroad in the near future, you do not have to renew your PR card. An expired PR card does not equate to an "expired PR Status". You will remain a PR even if have lost your PR card or if you hold on to an expired card indefinitely.

I don't see any questions in the application for PR card asking if you have been charged or convicted of a crime.