+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card when living outside of Canada

jennlitt

Dec 31, 2011
Hi all,

My PR card expires in June and I'd like to renew it. The problem I have is that I currently live outside of Canada back in England. I lived in Canada for three out of the last five years so I would meet the residency requirements but I'm just not sure how to renew my card from outside Canada.

I've heard about the option of having it sent to a friends house but saw that someone said that could count as misleading. One thing I thought of was heading back to Canada for a month or so to file my application and wait for my card. Would that get around this do you think?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm living and working in the UK currently but have a strong intention of moving back to Canada in the next few years so don't want my PR to expire.

Thanks in advance for any help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to submit the renewal while you are in Canada (vacation ks fine) and most have to pick up the new PR card in person.

jennlitt

Dec 31, 2011
You need to submit the renewal while you are in Canada (vacation ks fine) and most have to pick up the new PR card in person.
Thanks so much. What might be the best idea is to have a friend submit my application and then come to Canada to pick it up (saves making two trips!) Would that work or do they need you to post it personally?

So should I leave the 'current canadian residence' box empty on the application form?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just adding that only PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. So even if you did not renew your card you are still a PR but would need a PRTD to fly back to Canada or cross the US land border with an expired card. Still need to keep meeting the residency obligation though with or without a valid card.