+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR Card for travel while waiting for Oath Ceremony

asif.ahmed

Jan 15, 2017
Hello,

Hoping the forum can help me figure few things out.

Context:
I am planning to travel back home end of April 2023 for 2 weeks - will be back by first week of May 2023. I have applied for my citizenship back in January 2022 and already have given the test - waiting for oath ceremony if everything goes smoothly. My PR Card shows expiry of OCT 23.

Questions:
1. Does my expiry mean October 2023? I don't see a date - which date would be followed?
2. Is it worth applying for a renewal of PR Card before leaving for back home?
3. Is there any concern flying with a PR card that has an expiry date of less than 6 months?

Any insights would be appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Hoping the forum can help me figure few things out.

Context:
I am planning to travel back home end of April 2023 for 2 weeks - will be back by first week of May 2023. I have applied for my citizenship back in January 2022 and already have given the test - waiting for oath ceremony if everything goes smoothly. My PR Card shows expiry of OCT 23.

Questions:
1. Does my expiry mean October 2023? I don't see a date - which date would be followed?
3. Is there any concern flying with a PR card that has an expiry date of less than 6 months?

Any insights would be appreciated.
3) No concern.

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
1. Weird, PR card has the actual day of expiry, not just the month. Maybe your card is too old.
2. I would say so, but not mandatory. Without PR card, you need PRTD, but god knows how long it takes, generally like 3 months. Also, PRTD may require sending passport to the local consulate, and no one knows how your passport will be treated during mailing.