+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing passport as a PR under refugee protection

aws123ar

Mar 15, 2019
Hello,

I want to ask if anyone, who after receiving their PR, have renewed their passport from the country they seeked asylum from and traveled with it (not to their home country obviously). I am looking at if I can renew my passport to travel to the US on a student visa for a post-graduate degree.

The reason I ask is because in the travel document application from Canada, they ask you if you applied for a passport from your country of origin, and if not I should "provide a detailed explanation of your reasons for not applying." Thus, I emailed the Syrian consulate in Montreal (my homecountry that I applied asylum from) and they told me I could renew my passport and how to do it.
Thus, I don't really have a reason for not applying for a passport of my original country of citizenship, and as a result, I don't if I am allowed to apply for a travel document. At the same time, renewing my passport puts me at risk of cessation, even if I am a PR.

Apart from that, if I applied for a travel document, I wouldn't get the refugee travel document but I would get the Certificate of Identity since I am a PR and no longer a refugee, and I can't find anything online that tells me if I could apply for a student F-1 visa to the US, and the US consulate said I couldn't with a certificate of Identity (I am not sure if the person I talked with knew what it mean because they said I could try to apply with a refugee travel document).

Thank you,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you apply for a Syrian passport you are putting your protected person status at risk. Don't do it. Why would you not be able to get an RTD? You still qualify and as a PR because you remain a protected person. Unfortunately I think you will struggle to get a visa to study in the US until you become a Canadian citizen. You also need to prioritize getting Canadian citizenship because if you move to the US and want to live there after graduation you could end up without a permanent safe place to live if you don't meet the RO for PR.

Reactions: Bryanna

aws123ar

Mar 15, 2019
I am just not sure if I would be able to obtain a student visa on a RTD, do you know of any references that have obtained a student visa on a RTD?
The only reason I am thinking it is okay to renew my passport is because I know I can't go back to Syria due to enforced military enrollment (It is still dangerous for me to go back), but the Syrian consulate would still renew it for 2 years if I am studying abroad. I got my acceptance to an important university in the US, and unfortunately US grad schools don't defer studies so I will need to try going this year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think the fact that you are a protected person will be an issue for your study permit not the RTD. Would atrempt to apply with the RTD. Renewing your Syrian passport doesn't mean you will secure a US study permit but it may result in problems retaining your Canadian protected status. Seems crazy to risk a safe home to get an educatiom in the US but it is your choice.

aws123ar

Mar 15, 2019
Would you know why would having once been a protected person be an issue for my study permit after having obtained my PR?
thank you,

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
When you apply for a RTD, write in the section where they ask you why can’t you apply for a national passport, “I claimed refugee protection from my home country.” That is an enough reason for you to be granted a Refugee Travel Document by IRCC.

AAAAO

Jan 22, 2019
Hello, I am a Dec 2017 PR applicant as a protected person my daughter was refused protection but i add her to my application for PR as dependant. Hence her passport is also with IRB. I got an update on my PR application to renew her passport as her passport had expired. Can anyone suggest how i can get her passport back because i will need to present the old one at the high commission to be able to renew it for her. Thanks for you advise on this.